Martin M600 strings packaging has changed (now a pouch)

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Just received a few sets of new Martin M600 soprano/concert uke strings tonight before X-mas and I noticed that the packaging has changed. It's more a pouch now. No big deal, but it confused me when I picked them up at the music store at first. hehe

Took a comparison shot from the old and new.

All is well... and...

Merry Christmas/Belated Happy Hanukkah, and finally Happy Holidays to everyone! I hope 2016 brings lots of musical joy and UAS in the new year! hehe

Pete

Attachments

• MartinStrings.jpg
    MartinStrings.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 86
I know this sounds weird, but I always really liked that packaging and I'm genuinely upset by this change!

Indeed, the old paper packaging is more classy with the soprano uke (style 2? 3?) in the limelight! Not sure what the new pouch is made of (an astronaut NASA pack?) but the old paper is more ECO-friendly now that I think about it.

Pete

Your pic is the first I'm seeing if these, Pete. I just purchased several of the boxed Martin 600's recently at my local dealer who sells their strings with a continuous "buy 2, get one free" special. I actually think of your Martin 3-Style cherry video every time I look at the box cover where you pointed out they placed the 3 Cherry as the front image. I guess the boxed sets will become relics, and maybe even sought after by those who collect obscure ukulele bits, LOL!

I bought some of these strings during the summer for painted ukes and they came in the new packaging. This seems to be the way Martin is going with most of their strings, if not all, and it doesn't strike me as a good move. The old outer package was recyclable, but this pouch seems to be trash only.

I know this sounds weird, but I always really liked that packaging and I'm genuinely upset by this change!

Looks like it's may be time for George and Petey to try Fremont Blacklines. 😮😮

Yes im about to order some soon, love the old packaging better, i think it had to do with shipping costs for the change
Happy Holidays and seasons greetings Petey

While I don't use their strings, I visually prefer the old graphics. The new one looks cheap and generic, other than the Martin name.

Martin did a complete FAQ on the packaging change. Chris, they even addressed the recycling issue you raised...Here's the link to the FAQ:

https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/strings-faq.html

Thanks for the link - it's one of the most interesting things I've read all month (possibly excepting some pronouncements by American presidential candidates, but then I'd have to put "interesting" in quotation marks).

Have a uke-filled holiday, everyone!

"Flow wrap" is the name of the new packaging material. Meanwhile, "Flo Rap" is the name of an up-and-coming female hip-hop star.

Yeah, I was at Guitar Center just the other day for some M600's and was looking at their rack for the brown box and was a little upset I didn't see any Martin ukulele strings, then the clerk hands me the new package. I was a fan of the all recyclable old packaging. Aquila had a good idea with the paper envelope style package and little colored tags or paint on the strings to designate which is which.

I'm with you guys, I liked the graphics on the box and was a bit thrown off when I picked a few packs up at GC in the new pkg., thought he grabbed the wrong strings at first.

3-5 year shelf life! Nice. This is good to know. I had posed a similar question a few years ago about how long strings are "good" for. No one really knew and understandably so. Nice to see an actual quoted figure.

I went to the local dealer yesterday to buy another hardshell case for the S-0, and went over to the string aisle while heading to the checkout desk and sure enough, all the older Martin Uke boxes were gone. Seeing that I was going to restring the two vintage Uke I Just acquired, I bought another 3 sets of M600's in the new packaging with the shop's buy 2 get one free offer on all strings under $9.99 each. These were marked $6.99. Each, which IIRC that means no price increase for the new packaging. Out of habit, when I changed the strings on the Martin S-0, I used the older set first. I only realized after I opened the older box that I didn't save it as a collector piece :eek: I do have one left though and put that one aside...

The new packs take up slightly less space in the cases and gig bag compartments which is another small benefit.

Top Bottom