Help with Low G

plunker

Reaction score
I have a tenor and I used a regular C string for a low G tuning. I like the extra picking range, but in strumming it sounds like the drone on a bag pipe. Is it me, my being cheap and not bying real low G set of strings, or is this just what happens.

I have a tenor and I used a regular C string for a low G tuning. I like the extra picking range, but in strumming it sounds like the drone on a bag pipe. Is it me, my being cheap and not bying real low G set of strings, or is this just what happens.

It's you being cheap. A C string is not designed to be tuned that low; it becomes muddy, boomy and undefined.

Thankfully, you can buy Low G single strings (or a classical guitar D string) so you don't have to buy complete sets.

I recently switched my Mainland Cedar tenor to low G. It sounds terrific - i used a D'Addario silver wound NYL30 guitar string. I think the string was $1.50. I love the sound of the wound string in combo with the Fremont Blacklines fluorocarbon strings I use. I did the same on my Martin C1K concert again with Fremont strings and its a great combo.

Dig under those couch cushions, find a couple of bucks and head to the guitar store!

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
If you fancy a full matched set, look for Aquila Red Series Tenor Ukulele String Set Low G Tuning, 88U at your favourite retailer. I use the concert and soprano sets and am totally satisfied with them :)

However, if you are on a budget, Jon Moody's suggestion for a classical guitar D string (above) is a perfectly valid option.

Enjoy :)

It's you being cheap. A C string is not designed to be tuned that low; it becomes muddy, boomy and undefined.

Thankfully, you can buy Low G single strings (or a classical guitar D string) so you don't have to buy complete sets.
Whew, that was close, I thought it was something I couldn't fix. I really put the C string on out of curiosity on how it would work. I haven't gone to the store yet to get a real Low G string. So maybe I am more lazy than cheap. Thanks for the input.

Fremont soloist for low G, polished so no squeak. If you want an unwound low G check out Southcoast ukulele strings they make nice unwound sets.

Top Bottom