First time recording playing

bman40

Reaction score
A few months back my wife decided we would do a video 'Christmas card' to send around to relatives and friends. She would do some art and we would both play along. I picked up a Sampson Meteor mic from Amazon, and thought: "How hard can it really be"?

a few lessons -

mic placement is key
recording level is critical
..... and actually being able to play helps! ;) and by that I mean playing in tune, on time etc - something that I have not paid much attention to as we have learned the uke the past couple of years. I mean , we generally try and keep time, but hearing it come out of the speakers on the computer really shows where it right, and where its wrong.

I think we played the same Christmas carol maybe 50 times last night to get it close to right.

Despite the 'trial' this was - I think my playing will improve by recording and listening. I had never done this before and the ability to hear what you thought was correct is amazing.

I recommend recording - iphone, ipad, microphone whatever - and listening - its a real learning experience.

Too true, the shock of hearing yourself for the first time takes some getting over, but all to the good, it shows where to concentrate your practicing. :)

Congrats on the getting a video completed.

Yep, I agree. Listening to oneself play is great way to assess your skills and improve. I never realized how awful a player I was until my first recorded playing session.

Last edited:
If a recording of yourself could talk: "GET HUMBLE, BUDDY!" Haha.

A great learning tool. We tend to BS ourselves into thinking we sound better than we are. Recording is the equalizer.

Yep. When I recorded the bass uke for the memorial collaborative audio for the ukulele player who lost her life in the theatre shooting in Louisiana, I must have tried at least 30 times to be sure I had the tempo and notes right.

recording .... - its a real learning experience.

Absolutely. Mics don't lie. It's why I record. Your memory of how a performance went can be very fuzzy. Recordings are brutally truthful.

Top Bottom