New year, new uke?

Croaky Keith

Reaction score
Does that sound reasonable to you?

Thinking of a Kala KA-SLNG as my next uke.

I seem to like the concert scale, but would like to try a soprano body, & this covers it.

Anyone on here play one?

:cool:

I play Kala sopranos both are a semi gloss finish and true soprano scale. My main player has been a KA-SEM which is a laminate model and currently I'm getting an old KA-GAS up to speed to take its place. I also own a solid spruce top concert with mahogany back and sides that is gloss finish and it is pretty but will show scratches easily.

Seems like the ukulele you are looking at is on sale here for just $91.99 before shipping: http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-slng-gloss-soprano-longneck.html Shipping to my area adds another $21-$25 to that figure.

I should mention I have a KoAhola concert that plays seconds to my Kalas. The concert scale string tension just feels wrong to me.

I have the KA SLNG and love it- especially the 14 frets to the body. Definitely worth the money. So much so, that I got its costlier cousin, the KA KSLNG which is truly stunning in finish and looks, but sound wise (to my ears) doesn't really justify the added cost- but my opinion might change if I change out it's T2 strings. Also picked up an Islander acacia soprano (also has 14 frets to body - mahogany is not) which is my all time favorite in terms of depth of tone- and still a bargain price. If price was object,and sticking with a laminate, my next would be a Kiwaya KS5....maybe with UPT tuners. A kind UU member offered me a great deal on one but the current exchange rate has kinda stifled my UAS for the foreseeable future LOL.

Merry Christmas! Another option is a Mainland longneck soprano pineapple. A bit more $ but a great little uke!

I have a Keli'i Solid Mahogany Super Soprano. It is one of my favourite Ukes. And I have some higher end Ukes.

I bought it second hand and it sounds fabulous with Clear Worth CM strings.

I have played the Kala SLNG and while not as resonant as the Kelii I might buy it for my mother who is 78 and would like to learn.

My short list is now down to either a Kala KA-ATP-CTG cedar/padauk/acacia tenor, OR a Martin 1T IZ mahogany tenor. (yes I know they are about $1,200 apart in price)

I plan to unload a bunch of long unused instruments (guitars, basses, etc) and audio equipment soon, and hope to be able to come up with enough cash for one or both of these from the fund-raising efforts.

Top Bottom