Christmas Vintage Ukuleles... Martin & Favilla.

ukuleleden

Reaction score
Today I was able to open the two vintage Soprano Ukes that becuase of the time of year they were purchased, they are considered part of the Christmas gifts... The Martin is superb in every way imaginable.

Here is the '60s Martin S-0 soprano that which arrived in even better than the excellent condition it was described as. I snapped some pics after I removed the aged strings and gave the entire Uke a gentle Martin wood solution cleaning, then treated the fretboard with F-One oil and I couldn't be happier with the result...

Last edited:
Woweeee Den those are two amazing looking vintage sopranos. I have always love the gold leaf type of headstock logo Favilla used. Very classy and it appears to be in mint shape.

You must have hunted high and low to find two vintage instruments in that kind of shape. Congratulations and let us know how you like the sound of both and maybe do a comparision on the differences between the two. Well done

Could you post a couple pics back to back, belly to belly? Would like to see comparative size.
Cheers,
R
Got on a roll there, Zombie Jamboree........

Last edited:
Woweeee Den those are two amazing looking vintage sopranos. I have always love the gold leaf type of headstock logo Favilla used. Very classy and it appears to be in mint shape.

You must have hunted high and low to find two vintage instruments in that kind of shape. Congratulations and let us know how you like the sound of both and maybe do a comparision on the differences between the two. Well done

The Martin came from the wife of the original owner. I call finds like these "Cool Closet Classics!" :cool:. It literally looks purchased and put away, no signs of any wear on the fretboard or body. I'd call this Mint.

The Favilla is not a not at the same condition level of the Martin showing some play and handling wear, but still in VG+ condition.

The best of all, both came very fairly priced. Some of the Martin S-0 models I came across before finding this one were priced much higher and not nearly in as nice original condition as this. I will do a follow-up with both over the next few days...

Could you post a couple pics back to back, belly to belly? Would like to see comparative size.
Cheers,
R
Got on a roll there, Zombie Jamboree........

I'll do that very soon.. I'm just about to sit down to a nice salmon dinner, and if I don't indulge too much in the wine or spirits, I'll do some side-by-side pics. If I don't get to them tonight, certainly tomorrow.

Thanks. Someday a Martin Soprano added to my collection.
Cheers,
R

Congratulations. Those look awesome.

My UAS fires are getting stone up over those.

Where did you buy the oils etc for cleaning them up?

Today I was able to open the two vintage Soprano Ukes that becuase of the time of year they were purchased, they are considered part of the Christmas gifts...
Now that the're open cleaned and polished, so to speak. Open them up some more and play the tunes you love. Beauty is not just in the eye...

Now that the're open cleaned and polished, so to speak. Open them up some more and play the tunes you love. Beauty is not just in the eye...

Already done... Played the Favilla first, the strings that are on it are shot. Those will get changed out tomorrow with a fresh set of M600's. Just finished playing the Martin after putting a new set of Fluorocarbons on it. Sounds absolutely wonderful, great action and intonation as it sits. The new strings are still stretching out of course, so a lot of retuning until they settle in.

I went out earlier to my local music shop and bought a proper lined hardshell case to use for the Martin in place of the flimsy chipboard case it came in. Was going to get another for the Favilla, but that was the last soprano hardshell case they had in stock. I didn't want the UkeCrazy case they had as an alternative, so I decided to wait for their new HSC shipments after the New Year...

Good looking ukes. I like vintage also and my Christmas present was a Martin style O from the 50's. Not as minty as yours but she sure has a sweet sound for an old gal. Enjoy.

Thanks again. I found Martin measurements earlier on another site and they matched (mostly) to my Favilla but the subtle differences appear evident in your pics. Someday.......
Cheers,
R

Top Bottom