bridge pin puller...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
Who knows of a good bridge pin puller that lasts? I had the one on a cheapy stringwinder, but it's worn out after just a few changes. The pins on my Kanile'a are also a bit recessed, so it doesn't make the job any easier...
bridge2.jpg

Who knows of a good bridge pin puller that lasts? I had the one on a cheapy stringwinder, but it's worn out after just a few changes. The pins on my Kanile'a are also a bit recessed, so it doesn't make the job any easier...
View attachment 86795

I use a small spoon (like for tea or coffee) and use my polishing rag underneath. So far, has worked perfectly and never left a mark.

I try to avoid using those bridge pin pullers as they can dent the bridge. Ask me how I know. Small spoon or something with rag sounds like a good, free solution. On my guitars I just reach through the sound hole and pop them up from inside the instrument.

Thanks, I saw those Snapz ones, wondered if they were good. They are on ebay for about $9 shipped...

I think your problem is the reassessed pins. My bridge pin puller is one of the cheap ones on the end of a string winder and they work just fine. Bridge pins should only be pushed in gently as they are only designed to resist sideways force. The pull of the string is supposed to b held by a ball end grabbing under the bridge. With ball ended steel strings they work great. You can in fact take them out and steel strings will hold in place. Its not a system designed for classic strings without ball ends and yes, I've pushed them in quite firmly myself on my Cole Clark Ukelady in order to stop the strings popping out.

Anthony

Last edited:
I think your problem is the reassessed pins.

yes, that is the issue. Needle nose pliers or the puller on the of a string winder just can't get under the ball part of the pin, these things are really stuck in there.

Mine look just like those in your profile pic, UkerDanno, so I am pretty confident the Snapz ones will work for you.

I use a fret tang nipper. It works great and gives you good grip to pull out the pins easily.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141777083144

Another trick is to cut the strings so you can reach inside the soundhole and use a quarter to push them out from inside. A little tough on a uke :)

^^yeah, I've used my side cutters very carefully, but it makes me nervous that I'm going to leave marks eventually...I suppose a piece of cloth would help. I ordered one of those Snapz...

I don't have a uke with bridge pins, but my steel-string guitars are pinned, and a decent pin puller is a valuable tool. I have one or two string winders with cut-outs for pins, but they don't work very well.

This is my favorite. It's nylon or something similar and it doesn't mark the bridge: http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Bridge...1451328355&sr=1-17&keywords=bridge+pin+puller

I also have one made of thin aluminum with a curve at the fork. I have a Tacoma guitar on which the pins are set very low, and this is the only one that really works for it. I just have to be careful not to scratch the bridge.

Here's the Dunlop model someone referred to: http://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Bridge...=1451328581&sr=1-6&keywords=bridge+pin+puller

This image is from StewMac, do these specs match up with what Kanile'a uses?
Bridge_Pins2.jpg

Top Bottom