Headstock dropping

bunnyf

Reaction score
Darn it, but is anyone else bothered by their headstock dropping when using their strap? One of my baris has an end pin and then a strap button on the underside of the heel. The strap rotates around my neck and the headstock drops toward the ground as soon as I let go. I would wish it would be more balanced. I find it distracting enough to move the strap to tie at the headstock for better balance. Anyone else experiencing this?
I was playing sitting and strapless (supporting uke in my lap) for the most part but am trying to use a strap to be able to play standing and also to give my left hand more freedom of movement.
Is this imbalance a Bari thing or do smaller ukes have this too?

It's called "neck dive" in the guitar world. My Firebird with banjo tuners does the same thing. It's something I learned to live with.

I wonder if the type of material used for the strap could help minimize it. My strap is some kind of smooth synthetic material. Perhaps the rough side of leather against the body would resist the downward pull more.

the longer neck on the Bari results in the weight of the headstock sitting farther away from the pivot point of the strap button on the heel than a smaller uke. It's just like a lever. Common with small-bodied bass guitars. Some people tie a small bag with birdshot to the strap at the end pin to compensate.

I ALWAYS keep my hand on the headstock when using a strap. Unless you're using strap locks, doesn't take much of an "accident" to have your instrument hit the floor ... headstock first.

Bunny, I don't like it either. My local luthier (not LoPrinzi) makes his necks/headstocks heavy because he believes that it gives a uke more sustain. He may be right, but I don't like heavy anything. That's why I haven't bought an ukulele from him.

Perhaps you sew on a thick coat a velcro and to strap somewhere by your shoulder and neck, it might alleviate the slipping

I wonder if the type of material used for the strap could help minimize it. My strap is some kind of smooth synthetic material. Perhaps the rough side of leather against the body would resist the downward pull more.

Yes it does. I have made several Uke straps with this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043FFEQI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 by measuring to me and then hole punching each end and then cutting a slit just long enough to still have a secure hole. My Ukes do not slip around because one side of the leather is raw. One Uke strap made this way is cheap, comfortable and light as a feather. I seriously could make these up and sell them but I would rather share the idea with the our Uke friends here.

Any top heavy uke with have the problem. Connecting at the headstock seems like the best solution. If the fretting hand is bothered by the headstock strap position at the nut, you can move it higher up on the headstock, so it is between the tuners. That will give your fretting hand a little more room to move around.

–Lori

Neck dive is very common. Since I started playing bass ukes, I've encountered it more. I use leather straps without any buckles and raw on the inside which helps a great deal.

Last edited:
the longer neck on the Bari results in the weight of the headstock sitting farther away from the pivot point of the strap button on the heel than a smaller uke. It's just like a lever. Common with small-bodied bass guitars. Some people tie a small bag with birdshot to the strap at the end pin to compensate.

Clever! I hadn't thought of counter weight. Perhaps something worked into the strap or even a heavy strap lock there.

I ALWAYS keep my hand on the headstock when using a strap. Unless you're using strap locks, doesn't take much of an "accident" to have your instrument hit the floor ... headstock first.

My hand is never far away. I don't trust those leather tabs. I have had the lower end pin/Jack tab work its way off, so II know they aren't secure. I've used an old 90degree Jack cut off an old cable as a strap lock. I may break that out and see if the added weight helps (like the bag of shot suggested). Perhaps it will kill two birds with one stone.

Bunny, I don't like it either. My local luthier (not LoPrinzi) makes his necks/headstocks heavy because he believes that it gives a uke more sustain. He may be right, but I don't like heavy anything. That's why I haven't bought an ukulele from him.

You know Nicky, I hadn't noticed head weight before now. My little LoPrinzi soprano is super light and seems more balanced. I've had a variety of baris before but never really used a strap, as I played sitting. I've got a new Pono Bari with a pickup and use it for playing out and often find that I need to stand, hence the strap. I wonder if Ponos have heavier than average headstock/necks? I used to think slotted headstocks were just an aesthetic choice and always thought to myself no big deal. Now I'm wondering if in fact they really are the way to go p, at least on a Bari.

Yes it does. I have made several Uke straps with this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043FFEQI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 by measuring to me and then hole punching each end and then cutting a slit just long enough to still have a secure hole. My Ukes do not slip around because one side of the leather is raw. One Uke strap made this way is cheap, comfortable and light as a feather. I seriously could make these up and sell them but I would rather share the idea with the our Uke friends here.

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna give it a go. I've found those synthetic ones a bit scratchy on my neck (besides slippery). I'm not sure if it's the edges of the material itself or the stitching. Here in hot humid Florida, your neck is often bare and I am bothered by the feel of the strap. I thought leather would be more comfy and that raw side might resist movement a bit. I guess ill explore Michaels for a hole punch.

Although I only have Tenors, I haven't experienced that problem with my leather straps. Mine are 1/2" wide, similar to what lelouden suggested in an earlier post. My Uke stays at whatever angle I set it at.

Any top heavy uke with have the problem. Connecting at the headstock seems like the best solution. If the fretting hand is bothered by the headstock strap position at the nut, you can move it higher up on the headstock, so it is between the tuners. That will give your fretting hand a little more room to move around.
–Lori

I would have liked to use the button but it's not gonna fly with the balance like this. I'm gonna try the leather strap and some kind of counter wt at the jack (like a strap lock). If that doesn't do the trick, it's gonna have to go to the headstock. I don't like it tied by the nut, as I feel like it's too close to my fretting hand, but I always wondered if between the tuners would affect the tuning (rubbing and moving the tuners, esp. friction ones).

Neck dive is very common. Since I started playing bass ukes, I've encountered it more. I use leather straps without any buckles and suede on the inside which helps a great deal.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I thought perhaps that I had just hit on a particularly heavy headed uke and that most do not have this trouble. I'm going for the leather strap. I just have to come to a decision on strap length. I haven't found my exact comfort zone for where I want my uke to hang. I fluctuate between liking it low like Brittani or Taimane and liking it higher up (maybe a little easier to fret).

Thanks to all of you guys for all the helpful info. I posted this question before I went to bed last night and it was so nice to wake up and find all the little UU fairies had left little tips under my pillow.

Here's one last suggestion, though it's kinda nutty. You could put your foot up on a small stool (like a folding kitchen stool) or even a low chair. I made a small one like a Classical Guitarist foot rest to help hold my tuba and/or baritone horn where I wanted them on my lap. I made another one for sitting with the Ukes too, but it didn't work out.

I mostly play my banjos and Ukes sitting. I play my flutes standing to open up my breathing. I walk around a lot too. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom