What's the starting price for a custom tenor?

onlyablur

Reaction score
I'm not looking to commission a tenor now, but I'm just curious: do they generally start from at least $1000? or $2000? Would you say anything less than that wouldn't be worth the wait?

Thanks

Starting price can vary a lot depeding on the builder of course. A few great builders that are on the "reasonable" spectrum of starting prices are Ono at $1000.00 and Barron River at $1400.00. I think Willy Wixom is around $1000.00 and I am pretty sure that Covered Bridge are under $1000.00

Starting price can vary a lot depeding on the builder of course. A few great builders that are on the "reasonable" spectrum of starting prices are Ono at $1000.00 and Barron River at $1400.00. I think Willy Wixom is around $1000.00 and I am pretty sure that Covered Bridge are under $1000.00
Dave forgot to mention that Barron River Ukes are quoted in Australian dollars. So about $1050-1100 US plus shipping.

Starting price can vary a lot depeding on the builder of course.
A couple others to consider would be Spruce House and Cocobolo Ukulele. Price also depends on what features you want your "custom" to have.

Another name worth mentioning here is Beau Hannam. His ukes usually sell for more than 3K, but he also has a Player's model starting around 1600 USD.

In addition to the fine makers already mentioned in this thread, I think you could get a custom made Ukulele for <1K from David Iriguchi or Gary Gill. Also within that range (considering the exchange rate) might be some Canadian luthiers like David Webber or Shelley Park of Moodyville. A lot of custom options to chose from are offered from Asian makers like Maestro and perhaps Rebel.

+1 for Moodyville and Shelly Park. At $1300 Canadian that is under a grand $USD for quality work. Check out Shelly's Facebook page and Blue Dog Music in North Vancouver. I have a Sitka Spruce /Black Walnut Very light build, responsive and lots of projection.

Baron River and Ono are others that are great value and builds.

Have fun figuring it out. The pre buy can be lots of fun. Talk to your builder they will help you a lot.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your replies! I shall check out the builders you mentioned - there are so many whom I haven't heard of!

By the way, do you think there exists such a price point for custom tenor, beyond which the sound quality would be equally high, and you would just be paying the extra for the inlay arts, finishes, or even just the brand name? if so, what would you say such a price point is?

To save money, I ordered from Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam. He's made me three custom tenor ukes, I sent him detailed drawings of what I wanted; a mahogany mandolele for $360 (came out nice, I sold it), a black mandolele for $420 (also came out nice) and a gypsy jazz for $780 (does not have the projection or sustain I was hoping for. It seems to me the solid top flame maple is too thick).

For the sake of full disclosure, I also had him make a custom bass uke that came out nice, with one caveat; during the build, I asked him if he hadn't done the frets yet, not to do them and make it a fretless, but if the frets were already done, to leave them. He didn't listen and decided on his own to pull the frets that were already done. When I received it, the lower edge of the fretboard was rough at each fret location, so I had to return it for him to correct that.

Last edited:
Around $1k to $1,500. Covered Bridge and Ono are two at the lower end of this price range and both make some exceptional sounding ukes that compare favorably to any price range. Beau Hannam offers a Players Model at $1,650 as a non-bling version of his beautiful $3k plus highly appointed customs. The Players Model has same bracing and attention to voicing as his more blinged Ukes.

Thank you all for your replies! I shall check out the builders you mentioned - there are so many whom I haven't heard of!

By the way, do you think there exists such a price point for custom tenor, beyond which the sound quality would be equally high, and you would just be paying the extra for the inlay arts, finishes, or even just the brand name? if so, what would you say such a price point is?

I think as far as sound goes, you should decide what kind of wood you want, as that affects cost.
You want koa or curly koa? Spruce or bear claw? etc.
I think the tone woods make as much difference in sound as does the luthier.

I've been looking at some local builders, and here (HI) basic seems to be in the 1-2k range (again, depends on the wood and builder).

I gotta say though, an 'off the shelf' KoAloha or Kanilea in the 1k range will sound great and you'll still be in an 'exclusive' club.
What I mean is in the 1k range, your custom choices may be limited while I'm sure there are many different instruments at say, HMS, in the 1k range that would make you happy too.

I would add Fidra to this list: http://www.fidraukulele.co.uk

I learnt about them from a recent UU post, and am about to order my first custom made instrument from him. Such beautiful craftsmanship, and from the video posted on here, fantastic sound. I love the Celtic design options. After that, I'm thinking of a Barron River, based on feedback in this forum.

Remember, most luthiers have a waiting list. Sometimes years. So get your homework done and then secure a place on the waiting list

Hard to say as it would vary according to individual perception but it seems that peope are happy to pay $7,000, $9,000 or even $13,000+ for a Moore Bettah.

To give you some idea Ko'olau have a price list on the HMS web site. The list starts with the price for a basic concert (if a Ko'olau can be called basic?) and goes up according to the options you select. If you add up the cost of the options you want, without asking for the price for mother of pearl vine leaves up the fretboard, that'd give one answer to your question.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/koolau/koolau-100-custom-build.html

You may like to consider buying a custom 2nd hand before you commission one. My last 7 ukes have been customs but I have only commissioned 3. I have never been able to restrict myself to the starting price. I blink and I add 1k worth of extras.
It's a great exercise to commission an instrument just for you but you have to have deep pockets.
I think I should also add the suggestion to look at what new instruments Mya Moe have 'available now ' if you like the combination of features you can save yourself a 6 to 20 months wait from many builders for a built to your specs one.

Last edited:
Do you think there exists such a price point for custom tenor, beyond which the sound quality would be equally high, and you would just be paying the extra for the inlay arts, finishes, or even just the brand name? if so, what would you say such a price point is?

In my limited experience, I tend to think that a perfect sounding Ukulele from a well renowned luthier with some of the finest tonewoods, elaborate bracing and a nicely executed finish, but no extra bling would figure in a range of about 1500 to 3000 USD. What goes beyond is for added options and visual details, which I understand can be even more time-consuming than building the actual instrument. Of course, a highly appraised luthier with a full schedule will be able to charge a higher rate for his work than an unknown part-time garage builder. Also, the range suggested above will depend on the country or region of the builder, as costs of living vary widely. Again, these are just my own personal speculations.

I second what Hollis suggested. (He would know, scoring a half-off-new deal on a superb custom DaSilva not too long ago). If you are open to someone else's custom choices, and a patient buggah, fantastic deals can be had. I've bought several custom, one-of-a-kind ukes for 30%-50% off the price of new, on eBay and UU Marketplace, over the years, not only saving money up front, but i resold without a significant loss (the first guy took the skinning..lol).

Keep in mind, if you are the original ordering buyer, that, while there are tons of people lusting for a Kamaka, KoAloha, etc., that sound indistinguishable when blindfolded from a custom, there exists far fewer that have heard of, or will want to pay a premium for, a custom by many of the custom names that often come-and-go. Just a few years back, the ultimate customs--top shelf all the way, everyone drooling for them--included Glyph and King and Kawika. I'll bet the vast majority of the people on UU now never even heard of those amazing luthiers; their willingness to pony up thousands for one of these luthiers' ukes: zilch. (Those ever-diminishing numbers who recognize their work as legendary would, though). There are many customs (DaSilva, Barron River recently) that have languished through many price reductions on UU Marketplace before finally selling.

Of course, if one keeps the uke forever, it's a nonissue. I'll add that, in my experience of buying and selling many, many ukes, one thousand dollars is a magic price point. Easier to sell ukuleles below that four-digit number than above it; this is particularly true with the softening enthusiasm for the instrument recently (I would know; I have four ukes eating dirt on eBay right now...lol).

Like anything custom, it's yours if you buy a new custom uke. Too quiet? You think it's overbuilt? You find the finish too heavy, or the tuners unsmooth? Well, it's yours regardless. No play before buy, generally no returns (especially if you order your nickname in abalone inlay down the fretboard...lol).

Those are just things to keep in mind. The best custom I've personally ever owned? Agree with mountain goat: my PoHaku. Amazing intonation, workmanship, and tone. It was superb in every way. And, like a ninny, I sold it--at a loss--to afford some other custom that I've long since forgotten.

It is fun to order a custom, though. Everyone should try it once.

Once. ;)

Last edited:
I think I should also add the suggestion to look at what new instruments Mya Moe have 'available now ' if you like the combination of features you can save yourself a 6 to 20 months wait from many builders for a built to your specs one.

I agree--there are builders who do make "spec" instruments available. That's how I got my Barron River without a wait. Sometimes they're available in shops and sometimes on the luthier's website. Other builders who offer unique non-commissioned ukes would be Compass Rose, Lichty, Luis Feu de Mesquita, Koolau, LoPrinzi, and honestly the list goes on. Even Moore Bettahs--if you want to pay the price. It just depends what one is looking for.

You can get base models customs if price is a factor for you, what is your budget range
In order to help you, you must give more specfic information to guide you. Choose your
Luthier to what you want in a uke, do your research on them and listen to what people
Reponses to them good luck
If youre just intrested in how it works and not buying and just wanted to post something
Thats cool too.

Last edited:
just remember that custom doesn't automatically mean that it'll sound better. The benefit is that you can sometimes get all the features that you want together, e.g. sound port, the type of finish, radius on fretboard, etc. But not all luthiers will customize everything for you--some have certain standards they abide by. As far as sound goes, you shouldn't presume that a custom will sound better to your ears than a production uke. I've played a lot of instruments, and my favorites are customs, but I've also heard some wonderful production ukes that I liked even better than some of the customs that i've heard.

You may like to consider buying a custom 2nd hand before you commission one. My last 7 ukes have been customs but I have only commissioned 3. I have never been able to restrict myself to the starting price. I blink and I add 1k worth of extras.
It's a great exercise to commission an instrument just for you but you have to have deep pockets.

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't have deep pockets, and pre-owned custom might just be the way to go! :)

Top Bottom