Barking Concert?

JackLuis

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to Uke, been playing about 9 months. I've suffered a few bouts of UAS and ended up with a Ohana CK-22 spruce topped mahogany concert. It is a very light instrument and quite loud. I finger strum mostly, in fact it is hard to play it softly just brushing the strings with my finger tips, so I barely feel the string brush my fingertips.

I have a problem with it as some of the chords seem to bark out the G and C strings if I hit it wrong? It's so responsive I can't really play it hard on some of the songs I know. I don't have this problem with my laminates, just the spruce top. I have Fremont black line strings on it now.

Is this a spruce top issue, strings, or a technique issue?

It sounds like a technique issue, but it's super hard to know without hearing and seeing what you mean when you play it, Jack. You could post a video here (headless, if you prefer) and people could perhaps detect a cause. Otherwise, attending a local uke group should yield great insight.

Gluck, Jack. Keep strummin'!

Would have to see you play to know for sure. It could be due to a number of things, including your playing technique. Different strings, even in a set, are at different tension due to diameter and scale length. How you fret them and how you strum them will affect how they sound. It could be the strings as well. Fremont's are high tension strings...you may like the way a lower-tension, mellower string set sounds. It is likely some pretty good players who know a lot about strings and playing will give you some good insights (oops, there's one now...coolkayaker1 showed up as I was typing this). If there's a uke club nearby, join them. More experienced uke players can often see and correct simple mistakes if in fact you are making any.....could be the setup, strings, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Phil's right on.

I'll add: if your concert uke seems to bark, try closing the window while you play--it might be the neighbor's dog.

Keep that enthusiasm, Jack. :)

I have a problem with it as some of the chords seem to bark out the G and C strings if I hit it wrong?

I think you need to identify the chords which bark the strings first. Then we can discuss it.

Top Bottom