Was this my first Paid Gig?

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just played at our local Farmer's Market on Sunday December 27, 2015 -
I'd played there in the past, but they just dropped to one stage, and the woman who does the booking never responded to any of my emails (Since March!) until I complained to a member of the BOD.

According to the Schedule, there were two openings in January, but the booker emailed me saying that all she had open was the 10-11:45 spot on Sunday 12/27. Oh yeah, I thought - a Really Big Market Day. Half the vendors wouldn't even be there. But I said yes, knowing that if I turned it down, she would say that it was obvious I wasn't really interested.

One person came by and took a couple of photos and emailed them to me:
greenmarket dec27_1_Mike Brown.jpg
greenmarket dec27_2_Mike Brown.jpg
( copyright 2015 Mike Brown mikebrown.smugmug.com )

I had a couple of adults and a child who stayed almost the entire time I was playing - and applauded, and thanked me for playing.

I had two vendors ask for contact information - one wants to get some other markets he attends to think about me, and the other
wanted to know if I might be interested in playing some events in the spring and summer at their distillery.

But as I was starting one song, someone from the market came up and asked me to stop playing for a moment, and I told her I have a shirt that says "Will play ukulele for free; will stop for money", and she said that works for her - please sign this receipt. So I signed, and was handed an envelope with $25 in it.

That made it the most lucrative day I've had, playing the uke.

Does this count as my First Paid Gig???

-Kurt​

(And then today, one of my coworkers said, "I got a ukulele for Christmas. Can you teach me to play?")

That definitely counts. Congratulations!!!

Awesome, my brother.

:cheers:

Without a doubt, that is a paid gig. That is really cool. You got your foot in the door now, and I'm betting that by this time next year, you will be busy. Let's hope anyway. Great pictures too.

Congratulations, you are now a professional (at least according to the IRS). Now they will be looking for their share.
Happy Strumming..........

Top Bottom