Success

Plane Ignerints

Reaction score
I changed the way I've been holding my uke and I've been disciplined about keeping my left thumb behind the neck instead of letting it rest in the web of my hand...and voila...moments ago I successfully played a couple strums of the dreaded "E" chord (2-4-4-4)...it's going to be a great day.

Last edited:
You could also play an E maj chord as 4447, i.e, a barre across the G,C,E strings on the 4th fret and then use your pinky to fret the A string on the 7th fret. :)

This is how I play an E maj chord and it still requires proper thumb placement behind the neck or my hand gets cramped.

Please let me know what you think of this chord voicing and position...

I changed the way I've been holding my uke and I've been disciplined about keeping my left thumb behind the neck instead of letting it rest in the web of my hand...and voila...moments ago I successfully played a couple strums of the dreaded "E" chord (2-4-4-4)...it's going to be a great day.

Congratulations!

You could also play an E maj chord as 4447, i.e, a barre across the G,C,E strings on the 4th fret and then use your pinky to fret the A string on the 7th fret. :)

This is how I play an E maj chord and it still requires proper thumb placement behind the neck or my hand gets cramped.

I use this same E maj too. Infinitely easier, even for us barre chord challenged individuals.

"E" chord (2-4-4-4)... two maybe three fingers for me on my sopranos. I'm certain I'm doing it all wrong though hehe.

I'll definitely give this a try. It's great to have options with the more difficult chords.

Also easier to play if the hand swivels upward so the neck/headstock sits in the crook of the thumb and hand. Same for DM.

If I'm having trouble fretting a chord, I have found as well that positioning helps. I tend to get lazy, actually I am lazy, and I let my uke go horizontal sometimes, and that makes things harder I think. But the dreaded E. When I realized that the dreaded E was nothing more than a movable D, it became so much easier. I guess that depends on how, and how well, you fret your D. But before that, I was thinking about getting four fingers in the right place at the same time, and after, all I was thinking about was the one, that made a huge difference for me.

Last edited:
FOTEC, Fear of the E chord. How many good arrangements have been ruined by FOTEC?
It is good to see that some hard work is paying off, but the E chord needs to be around other chords to make a tune. Once you start to get the general idea, start learning it with some other chords like:

EEEE C#mC#mC#mC#m F#mF#mF#mF#m B7B7B7B7

EEEE AAEE B7AEB7

Try using with A=9990 B7 = 11 11 11 12

For some variation move up one fret F = 5553 or 5550
FFFF DmDmDmDm GmGmGmGm C7C7C7C7

FFFF BbBbFF C7BbFC7

These progressions are like finger calisthenics, they are not tunes, although you will find them as parts of lots of tunes.

I will definitely work on this. I am always anxious to learn new things and improve.

And thank you to everyone for your kindness and willingness to share knowledge here.

Top Bottom