Baritone tuning on tenor resonator

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I bought a John Morton tenor resonator. It's a beauty. All metal body , it looks like a blues killer.
I also have a gorgeous Mya-Moe tenor resonator (quilted maple) as well as a Russ Marin tenor resonator (currently on loan to a good friend ).
I want to play the new one in the key of E. This will involve baritone tuning DGBE. Any string suggestions are welcome. Right now I'm trying out Worth heavy duty tenor strings but feel I need a wound D.
Any suggestions?

So you want a linear tuning DGBE set, correct?

I'd use these gauges of nylon and silvered copper strings (it's based off the set Craig Chee and I made for his tenor uke, except he does re-entrant E tuning), that you can find from classical guitar singles.

1-E - .033 nylon
2-B - .041 nylon
3-G - .029 silvered copper
4-D - .034 silvered copper

I want to play the new one in the key of E. This will involve baritone tuning DGBE.
Maybe I'm missing something but DGBE is G tuning. An E chord in this tuning would be 2100 so it would be like playing "in A" on a GCEA uke. If that's what you are after, great, but if you meant E tuning, that would be something different.

Maybe I'm missing something but DGBE is G tuning. An E chord in this tuning would be 2100 so it would be like playing "in A" on a GCEA uke. If that's what you are after, great, but if you meant E tuning, that would be something different.

You are correct. I should have stated that I want to use the same blues turn arounds as I do on a guitar, just losing the bottom two strings. Playing in E would be like playing in A. Capo 1 would make it the Key of F. Dropping the first string two semi-tones would yield open G for slide work etc.

Last edited:
I have my tenors tuned re-entrant DGBE and find that Worth CF strings work fine for me with reasonable but not too high tension. Obviously if you want to play low D you would have to change the D string, but the other three would be fine. I'm not keen on the high tension of tenors tuned GCEA using the regular tenor strings whether Nylon or Fluorocarbon but that's personal taste.

So you want a linear tuning DGBE set, correct?

I'd use these gauges of nylon and silvered copper strings (it's based off the set Craig Chee and I made for his tenor uke, except he does re-entrant E tuning), that you can find from classical guitar singles.

1-E - .033 nylon
2-B - .041 nylon
3-G - .029 silvered copper
4-D - .034 silvered copper

Sent you a PM on this. Very interested to hear how this turned out in the long run. Thanks!

Top Bottom