Bending iron stains.

mikeyb2

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just bent some rosewood binding and unsurprisingly the bending iron is now stained. I want to bend some cherry next so is it necessary to clean the staining off, so as not to get onto the cherry?
If so, what is the best way of cleaning it. I read somewhere that the only way is to sand it off. I shouldn't think and iron would last very long if sanded every time. Thanks, Mike.

I use 0000 steel wool. It will take a very long time to wear your bending iron away!

or perhaps a light scratch/haze remover

I think Easy off is probably not available here in the UK but I do have some other oven cleaner I can try. And judging your replies, I gather it does need to be cleaned before using it on anything other than rosewood. Thanks for the ideas. Mike

Stains from wood resins usually just wipe off my pipe. Get it warm and spray plenty of water on it.....just like soaking a dirty pan. 0000 Steel wool is good for the stubborn spots. I don't use sand paper because I think the scratches will make it harder to clean in the future.

I second that, heat up the pipe, spray it with water and wipe it off... takes off most of whats there for me. I figure if it doesn't come off when I do that, it wont come off on the next side I bend.

wood resins accumulate on circular saw blades and other woodworking tools. people clean saw blades with oven cleaner and dedicated saw blade cleaners.
the first place you start cleaning is warm water and dish soap, that failing paint thinner, that failing lacquer thinner. paint stripper should also work as should any of the orange citrus based cleaners.
abrasion is the last resort but it's only wood resin and there is some other way.

Found some Astonish oven/pan cleaner paste in the back of the cupboard. It's a little bit abrasive but it does seem to lift it without a lot of effort. Problem solved I think. Thanks again everyone.

I use paper between the wood and the bender. This keeps the iron clean and prevents water stains in light color wood.

Top Bottom