K&K aloha in a Ohana TK35G

FinnP

Reaction score
Hi
I'm planning to install an aloha pick-up in my TK35G Ohana.
I managed to take a photo of the inside with my iPhone using a very handy app called Camera plus which enable me to use my iPad as an remote tricker.
Anyway, I assume that the two bamboo sticks must have been used to align the bridge. I can't get the saddle out, so it must have been glued in. The sound hole is very narrow, so there is no way I can reach the bridge with my fingers to install the pick-ups. Is it OK to mount them on the back of the soundboard in the space between the bridge and the soundhole? Any tips and tricks are very welcome.
Aloha and happy new-year to all.

View attachment 86903

View attachment 86904

Hi
I'm planning to install an aloha pick-up in my TK35G Ohana.
I managed to take a photo of the inside with my iPhone using a very handy app called Camera plus which enable me to use my iPad as an remote tricker.
Anyway, I assume that the two bamboo sticks must have been used to align the bridge. I can't get the saddle out, so it must have been glued in. The sound hole is very narrow, so there is no way I can reach the bridge with my fingers to install the pick-ups. Is it OK to mount them on the back of the soundboard in the space between the bridge and the soundhole? Any tips and tricks are very welcome.
Aloha and happy new-year to all.

I've had the same problem that my fat hands and shorter fingers do not let me get far enough inside. On some of my ukes I can just barely touch the front edge of the bridge plate...

I've experimented with surface transducer install locations, and have found that closer to the bridge plate (or on it) will give the loudest sound and the most bass tones, and closer to the sound hole is a sharper tone, slightly less loud, but with greater attack and less bass, more of a barking tone whereas closer to the bridge is a more mellow, woody tone.

I'm no luthier but have installed all the pickups I use, myself, and it frustrates me that I cannot get inside the uke with my hands.

I'd thought about using one of those toy robot arms and mounting one of those fiber-optic inspection cameras with an LED light to it so I could remotely place the pickups directly on the underside of the bridge plate, but that's really just crazy talk for now.

The Aloha will bring out more of the highs in that uke, and Twin Spot will be a little more balanced - just in case you haven't bought it yet.

Thanks for the input.
I found this handy guide http://woodfordinstruments.blogspot.dk/2015/05/installing-k-sound-aloha-twin-ukulele.html

He uses a bent aluminum bar to mount the pick-up.
Another option would be the the new iRig acoustic. I only need amplification a couple of times a year and the iRig could be used in a live setup with my fishman mini loudbox and an iPhone, plus I can use it on all my ukes.

Thanks for the link! That's a really good technique for getting the pickup mounted.

Top Bottom