NUD - Kala KA-8, 8 String

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to getting an eight string. I traded my sixer in for it! The trade cost me a bit, but it's really beautiful (high gloss - mahogany I think) hangin' on the wall. Even if I never learn to play it well, it'll be nice to look at. Sorta like a girlie pic.

Eight stringers have a chime that I like, but the strings are still stretchin' so it's difficult to tell what it sounds like yet. My plan is to try a slide for some blues (like a twelve string), but . . . we'll see. I was never happy with the Ohana sixer. I didn't like the difference in strings, though it was okay to strum accompaniments with. I also didn't like that it was solid mahogany and more susceptible to crackin', warpin', etc. The eighter is plywood which I prefer. I don't have pics yet, but I don't know if I'll be able to figger out how to post them anyway.

And now, my UAS is cured! I'm clean, clean, clean!--except for a little BAS . . . :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Congrats! I just looked at the stock pic and specs (I inserted the factory pic below for you), looks very nice! Enjoy the extra 2 stings over your sixer!

View attachment 86935

Congrats! I just looked at the stock pic and specs (I inserted the factory pic below for you), looks very nice! Enjoy the extra 2 stings over your sixer!

View attachment 86935

Well, ukuleleden, that's a very nice and thoughtful thing to do. I really appreciate the favor. Everyone should be so generous. Thanks a lot!

I hope you have a very Happy New Year with lots of strumin' and a pickin'! :eek:ld:

This model was the first uke I owned. It sounded so sweet, but my hands aren't large enough and my fingers aren't flexible enough to do it justice, so I sold it to a friend who once played guitar and had to give it up because of arthritis. He loves the narrower neck and plays constantly. I'm sure you'll love KA-8, too!

If only they made a concert size...

Congrats DUD! I hope you can play that dang thing better than I can play Tammy's 8 string Kamaka. Let us know how it goes!

Top Bottom