Low g tab similar to polani?

Recstar24

Reaction score
The past few months I've been working diligently and near exclusively from Daniel ho's polani book and I've loved doing so for the following reasons:

1) great songs with diverse levels of challenge. I was able to start with easier songs and progressively do some of the harder ones, as if there is a natural learning curve already in the songbook.

2) the songs are arranged very Campanella like which sounds great with low g. A lot of attention and subtlety has been put into the arrangements so that you pick cross string allowing notes to really ring and sustain

3) I love that the songs are mostly original creations, they sound like they are made specifically for the ukulele and the songs bring out the ukes character. I also like that it's mostly fingerpicking and the songs do have a classical feel and style to them while still sounding very Hawaiian.

With that said, if anyone has any other book ideas that are similar to what I've listed above, I would love to start my 2016 with some new material!

Recstar, I agree with your evaluation of the Polani book. It's wonderfully challenging with intriguing arrangements. I too would like to think there are more like it out there.

Polani is such beautiful music, fun and challenging to play. Do you have his other uke book?
image.jpg
http://www.danielho.com/physical-shop/book-cd-daniel-ho-ukulele-songbook

And there's more, too. He recently sent me a copy of his arrangement of Silent Night. Oh so nice, but with one very demanding finger stretch!

Have you looked into the wealth of music written in the 16th century for the renaissance guitar? The instrument was almost identical to the uke and also tuned gcea.

I just got the Polani book a couple weeks ago and I agree it is incredible.

Pekelo's 2nd book (http://www.amazon.com/Pekelos-Hawaiian-Ukulele-Method-Volume/dp/0984482016) is for low G and I highly recommend it. Maybe not quite as good as Polani but somewhat similar in terms of difficulty and fun.

Alternatively, for reentrant tuning the Ukulelezaza books are incredibly helpful. Like Polani they are both challenging but doable and have made me a much better player.

But thanks for starting this thread because I also want to learn about more good books.

Dirty kid,

I have Pekelo book 2 and agree it's great. I also have both ukulelezaza books and also agree they are great! For re entrant I work exclusively from those books as well as John King classical and the mark Nelson fingerstyle book.

I'll definitely check out Daniel ho's other fingerstyle book for sure.

Top Bottom