bought tenor 6 string but only need 4 of the strings

mettam

Reaction score
I just bought some new strings for my Ukulele and because I am so new to Ukulele I accidentally bought 6strings tenor strings. My Uke only holds 4 strings. Is there a way I can use these strings I bought to string my 4 string Uke?

These are the strings I bought: Aquila 17U Tenor Ukulele Strings Set

In the packet there were
1 x 4G white tipped
2 x 3C green tipped
1 x 2E blue tipped
1 x 1A red tipped
and one brown string.

My hunch is to not use the brown string, discard it (I wouldn't know where to put it anyway. The question is which of the green (C) strings should I not use?

You have 2 C strings, one low and one high (I prefer to use the low c as my 5th string), and paired A strings

For a 4 string uke, all you have to figure out is which C string is high and which is low. The A strings are the same.

One of the c strings should be noticeably thicker - that's the one you will use

Thanks for your replies. I chose the thicker C string and left out the Brown string (I think that was the 2nd A string)

It falls out of tune pretty easily. Maybe its because its so new and will require constant adjusting over the next week. Or maybe the nuts are slipping.

Don't worry about the stings going out of tune quickly. That's typical for a new set of strings. It'll take a few days for them to stretch and the tuning will stabilize.

Top Bottom