Is it a Baritone or a Tenor?? Scale Length??

molinee

Reaction score
I picked up a Sam Ash (BARITONE UK5) uke and I like most everything about it. My problem is that it appears to me to be a TENOR in every dimension. The scale length is 17 inches. All the measurements for the overall length, the nut size, the body depth, the 17 inch fretboard scale are all for a tenor uke. It did arrive tuned to to the expected baritone D-G-B-E. Anyone see a problem with making it a G-C-E-A by restringing it with standard Tenor strings since the scale length is 17 inches anyway??

I picked up a Sam Ash (BARITONE UK5) uke and I like most everything about it. My problem is that it appears to me to be a TENOR in every dimension. The scale length is 17 inches. All the measurements for the overall length, the nut size, the body depth, the 17 inch fretboard scale are all for a tenor uke. It did arrive tuned to to the expected baritone D-G-B-E. Anyone see a problem with making it a G-C-E-A by restringing it with standard Tenor strings since the scale length is 17 inches anyway??

i know exactly what you are talking about...is it the oscar schmidt? if so, then it definitely is a baritone

There's no problem stringing it with gCEA tenor strings.

There's no problem stringing it with gCEA tenor strings.

Thanks R-Man .... I couldn't see a problem with string tension myself, but just wanted to make sure.

Also... deachforpresident - It isn't a OS. It is a Sam Ash brand called the UK5Baritone. It seems pretty well put together and is a nice mahog. I will throw on some Aquila gCEA Tenor Strings on it.

Top Bottom