Any love for the KTT-2KS (Kiwaya Solid Wood Koa Tenor Uke with slotted head} ?

strumsilly

Reaction score
I'm always on the look out for "the one". That spot is currently held by my Koaloha tenor. I have had more expensive, more attractive ukes but this one has the tone and playability I prefer. I came across an ad for this Kiwaya tenor. I used to own one of their concerts [KTC-1] and the only thing I didn't like was the 12 fret board. always thought the KTC-2 would be a keeper if I could find a used one. then I saw this tenor and thought ," maybe the holy grail". anyone have any experience with one of their koa tenor models, which seem pretty rare here in the states?
http://www.fernandezmusic.com/Kiwaya_Ukuleles.html
here's one with the standard head
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiwaya-KTT-...ele-Artist-Series-Made-in-Japan-/261328488459

Last edited:
Hi, brother Strum. I once owned a Master Grade Kiwaya Koa tenor! It was impeccable. And you and I are similar in that, I ,too, favor the KoAloha tenor. I've had many more expensive tenors, just like you, but come back to the KoAloha every time. SO, how do they compare? The Kiwaya is perfection in build, as you know. While I felt, and still feel, that Kiwayas as a rule are almost too perfect as to lose some character in the smaller sizes (not as "jangy" as a vintage Martin, for some reason), I felt the Kiwaya tenor to be lively and have character--so, I feel like the larger the uke, the less "sterile" for Kiwaya. This, as opposed to, the two Collings tenors that I owned which were impeccably built but rather lifeless, sterile, with a personality of a bridesmaid, not a bride. LOL (Collings people, please, no tomatoes).

My KIwaya tenor, I sold. Why? It was so perfect, I didn't want to play it. LOL. These Kiwayas have a satin finish that gets a shiny spot where the arm crosses the lower bout, and the fretboard began to have some fingertip glossing (I swear on a stack of SOuthcoast strings, I do not eat fried chicken while playing the ukulele!), and it brioke my heart because those things are like showpieces. So, I sold it! :-( Do I wish I kept it? In many ways, yes. But, that said, I'd probably still feel the same about it--liek I do when I open a new bar of soap and just hate to ruin that Dial logo. LOL. Honestly, it's odd, I never felt that way about other ukes like the KoAloha; I even had a Pikake satin KoAloha and didn;t feel that way (and, oddly, Pikake satin KoAlohas show no oiling and fingerprints!). Maybe that mine was a Master GRade, highest level Kiwaya made me feel that way, but I see the great link you sent and would likely feel the same (that one has a slotted headstock? WOw!). One reason I loved my tenor Kiwaya was the Gotoh Deluxe friction tuners. I adore friction tuners, and their look, even on baris and tenors.

I sound like Felix UNger here, not wating to sully my ukes. But, I assure you, I play with full zeal even my twice-as-expensive Martin 3k, so it's just me and a Kiwaya thing. Wait, hold on: http://coolkayaker1.blogspot.com/2012/06/kiwaya-master-tenor-koa-ukulele.html
Here's my Kiwaya tenor! On my old blog (no longer used and updated). I sure regretted selling it at the time, but have "dated" a lot of sassy tenor broads since then, so less painful now. lol (PS Those silver things on the tuner are simply mirror stickers; like modding a hot rod, I was once young and foolish).

So, I say go for it! Mr. Fernandez has a great reputation. Here he is teaching how to set up a guitar, so you know what he looks like and who he is if you call to buy one, Strum. He sure seesm to know his stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZOqW5S1NVM

Let us know in this thread how it goes. Sincerely, Steve

Last edited:
thanks for your reply.I think I would feel the same way. One reason I almost always buy used is I hate those first scratches/dings. the fist cut is the deepest. anyone have a used one they want to rehome?
saw your original post. oh, it was the master series! wow, what a beauty! Incan see why you might not have wanted to sully it.

Last edited:
I spoke with Mr. Fernandez. very nice man. he apparently had these slotted head beauties custom spec'd and is his last one. they only will make new tenors as customs now so any out there are older stock or custom.

Last edited:
Top Bottom