Oasis Experimental Strings

johnson430

Reaction score
Chuck Moore sent me a set of Oasis experiment strings and asked me to evaluate the strings. They are wound G/C with warm E/A.

I know there are other members that received a set as well and I thought I would make a thread where we could discuss the strings and share our thoughts, sound samples, etc.

I like their tone and responsive quality. They keep in tune and I feel like they are very balanced on the Pono MGT.
I do not like the squeak and my fingers have a tendency to stick to the strings.
I think if there was a way to coat the strings, a la elixir guitar strings, then they might be on to something.
At the moment though there is too much friction between the string and finger/s. Even when simply fretting a chord I can feel the strings sticking to my fingers and causing the strings to vibrate. You can hear this on the sound sample (DRY) around 1:33-1:35.

https://soundcloud.com/jasonbjohnson/sound-sample

I am curious what other people think about these strings.

Johnson

BTW, This was my first recording using iPad 3, GarageBand and a Yeti Blue mic via an iPad Camera Connection Kit I found on Amazon.
Now I can record anywhere.

I also received a set but have not strung them up yet. They sounded good though in your sound sample, and I could barely hear the string noise you alluded to.

I am a big proponent of using wound strings, I know I'm in the minority on that one around here. I don't mind the string noise at all. There are some videos out there describing how you can minimize it with technique, but of course, that takes practice. The advent of the "polished string" helps as well, but comes with a higher price tag.

I believe I read here on the forum (by Rick Turner,) that you can take some fine grit sandpaper and give it a pass or two over your strings to reduce the noise.

Thanks for posting this review though. It's good to get the info out there for future reference.

I received just the wound C string. I put a new set of Oasis Warms minus the plain C string. My feelings were much the same as Johnsons'. The C was thicker than the wound G. It sounded okay but eventually took it off and changed the set back to Southcoast RW's. I like Oasis a lot and hope they work on making the wound C less sticky and bulky feeling.

Chuck was nice enough to send me a sample a while back but after playing a while I took it off pretty quickly and slapped on some southcoasts. The oasis wound 3rd was very thick and bulky, had a lot of finger noise, and sounded ok. For me using the normal oasis set with a Fremont low g was preferable.

I was the same as Ryan and Patrick except I did not even put it on. I play with a wound 3 string a lot, both low G and high G. The Oasis wound C looks identical to the Koolah wound C. I have those on hand and have played them.......briefly. Too thick, too noisy and too much of a brash metalic sound for my taste. Others may llike this string, I just prefer the South Coast or Thomastik Infeld CF27 (wound classical guitar string of .027" diameter, same as South Coast)

They were way to squeaky....southcoast makes a set with a wound polished low G and C strings hat have very little to no squeak but I still prefer an unwound C.

I was the same as Ryan and Patrick except I did not even put it on. I play with a wound 3 string a lot, both low G and high G. The Oasis wound C looks identical to the Koolah wound C. I have those on hand and have played them.......briefly. Too thick, too noisy and too much of a brash metalic sound for my taste. Others may llike this string, I just prefer the South Coast or Thomastik Infeld CF27 (wound classical guitar string of .027" diameter, same as South Coast)

How's the tension of the thomastik on a tenor? How's the finger noise? Considering playing with a hybrid set on my stansell - Fremont low g, thomastik wound c, oasis e and a

Top Bottom