Assortment of knowledge gaps in need of filling

Blackdog131

Reaction score
Hello fellow twang bangers. Please help fill my ignorant voids with your wisom and knowledge.

1) I've strained my right hand through excessive playing (and a little help from skateboarding) and was wondering if any die hard fans have had any wrist issues through the years and how best to resolve them, and if there are any strength exercises and streches that could help relieve tension?
I've not played for two days now and i've regained some mobility but i'd describe my hand as feeling 'heavy' and thought maybe i could pick for a few days, weeks...?!

2) I often hear when people talking about intonation and notes being to #/b etc the use the word 'cents' 10 cents, 15 cents etc, and was wondering what that actually means? I use a stark chromatic tuner ...is 10 cents a single vertical bar on the display? I can't seem to find a good enough discription online.

3) Any recommendations on chord melody arrangment books? Preferabley Tabs of well known rock and pop songs, and also any good method books on right hand techniques?

Thank you for any light shed.

A cent is 1/100 of the difference between one semitone and the next.
So, if you fretted what's supposed to be a C, and the note made was halfway between C and C sharp, it would be off by 50 cents.

1) I've strained my right hand through excessive playing (and a little help from skateboarding) and was wondering if any die hard fans have had any wrist issues through the years and how best to resolve them, and if there are any strength exercises and streches that could help relieve tension?
I've not played for two days now and i've regained some mobility but i'd describe my hand as feeling 'heavy' and thought maybe i could pick for a few days, weeks...?!
I have had a problem with tentonitis in my left wrist which started over 22 years ago. At the time, I was working all day on a computer, still do, playing in a mandolin orchestra, rehearsing with another band and taking classical guitar lessons. The guitar teacher noticed I was favoring my left wrist and advised me to see the doctor and not come back to lessons until things were healed. I tried doctors, physical therapists, acupuncture, massage therapy and high doses of aspirin. I did take an instrument playing break of a couple months.

A recent visit to the doctor, (last couple of years), came up with the diagnosis that the acute tendonitis has been replaced by arthritis in that wrist. The pain is not severe and I put an ace bandage around the wrist when I practice the uke or play out. I seldom play the guitar or mandolin these days but I don't limit my ukulele time.

My Recommendations:

1. Give yourself a rest on the wrist until you complete #2
2. See a doctor.
3. Don't get older.
4. Make a ukulele out of that skateboard.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! i'll see how it goes, i think i may need to take more breaks when playing, i think without realizing i build alot of tension when playing harder stuff. I figured out how to not get older...skateboarding is the fountain of youth! however i'm 30, look 40, everything hurts ..but i have the mind and social skills of a toddler. Hmm maybe you're right might be better to slap a neck and pickup on it and move on.

Top Bottom