What a difference strings make

WKerrigan

Reaction score
So this falls into the Captain Obvious realm of statements, but it is really quite amazing what a difference a different set of strings can make on any particular ukulele. I have been using Aquilas on most of my ukes, and Low G Worth Browns on my Spruce Top Tenor (which sounded just too bright with Aquilas) and had been pretty happy with them. My son bought me some Martin Clear Flourocarbons for Christmas, so I decided to put them on this Fish Ukulele I have that is made from Manchurian Ash--not exactly typical uke wood. I originally used the standard Aquila Nylguts on this uke, then switched to the Aquila Reds when they became all the rage. But lately I have found that I was rarely reaching for that uke as I wasn't really excited about the sound. But restringing that Manchurian Ash uke with the Martins, I found it just sounds awesome. It's like getting a new uke for Christmas. I can't put it down. Perhaps these Martin strings would be disappointing on one of my other ukes, but they seem just right for this one. What's your favorite uke string brand/type?

I had the same experience this weekend.

I have a Pono MT set up for low G. I liked the sound I was getting from it but I didn't love the sound. I tried different strings with similar results. Then this weekend I decided to try the Southcoast ML-WB set that everyone was raving about. I usually prefer non-wound strings but I decided to keep an open mind. This set has wound G and C strings. Well I'm glad I kept an open mind because I absolutely LOVE the sound from this combination.

Earlier this year I was experimenting with a Kala laminate concert I have. I tested different strings to see what I could coax out of it. I stopped when I tried Savarez Alliance strings as they sound fantastic on this uke.

My Kala cedar top tenor wears Oasis Warm High G strings. It's time for a string change so I may try something new although I like the sound of the Oasis on this uke. I figure strings are cheap enough. If I try something and don't like it I'll go right back to the Oasis Warm.

So this falls into the Captain Obvious realm of statements, but it is really quite amazing what a difference a different set of strings can make on any particular ukulele.

I agree with you 110% ;-) but in other similar threads somebody usually responds that they don't hear the difference.

Just fitted ML-WB to my Pono. First time with low G. Once I got past the rookie mistake of having it tuned an octave too low and wondering why the tension was so low (yes seriously!) it sounds fantastic.

Also fitted Southcoast reentrants to my Kala just before Christmas, made a huge difference.

Just fitted ML-WB to my Pono. First time with low G. Once I got past the rookie mistake of having it tuned an octave too low and wondering why the tension was so low (yes seriously!) it sounds fantastic.

Also fitted Southcoast reentrants to my Kala just before Christmas, made a huge difference.

I think dirk recommends an octave lower and many do for the richness, choose higher tension strings if you
Feel the strings are too floppy.
Also, good strings do help in tone and intonation and one should not skimp, but they obviously cannot fix
Extreme poorly made ukes.
Take time to learn and experience with each brand and their types would benefit your preferences.
As a rule, start with a ukulele you like to avoid serious issues that may haunt you later, happy strummings

Good strings are as important as it gets! It's sort of like good shoes for a runner, a nice knife for a chef, or great tires for a race car driver.

That being said, there are lots of great types of strings and trying different ones on different ukes can be really beneficial. I prefer D'Addario Pro Arte strings on my Moore Bettah Ukulele and Savarez Alliance strings on my Mya Moe!

Ok, I'll play...;-D

I love Martins on my 30's Martin and my old C1K and have them on my Pono and they seem to be working out so far (just getting settled in) might try some Living Waters later, when I get a chance to place an order.

Living Waters on my Kanile'a. Worth BM's on my banjolele. Fremont blacklines on my Islander. And lastly, Aquila new Nylguts on my Lanikai.

:shaka:

Only had 1 set of Martins on a solid mahogany soprano.....sounded like dirt. Must be good strings cause lots of folks sure love'em.

My personal favorites are Aquila Nygluts, but more because of sentimentality than sound. I used to take lessons from Roy Sakuma's Ukulele Studios, and every year Roy would hold this huge ukulele festival in Kapiolani and invite his students as well as professionals to perform. Every year, we got a set of Aquila Nygluts for free, and I guess I just got used to the Aquilas.

I play a tenor 4-string Kamaka, if that makes any difference. I have some other ukes, but they all still have their stock strings (i.e. the strings that came with the ukes when I bought them). One of those ukes is like 2-3 years old...maybe I should change them sometime lol.

I'm partial to Aquila Lavas. They're a bit to bright for my Ohana, though. I have Super Nylguts on my Kala, and I don't like them very much. I might switch it to Lavas, and switch the Ohana to Worth Browns.

I love Living Water strings! Many do, but it's still just personal preference. It's important to find the right uke and the right strings for you, because when they work, you know it.

Underrated aspect of Ukes (or any stringed instrument for that matter) is spending $10ish on new strings and its kinda/sorta like getting a *new* instrument. Even the duds that I didn't like showed a different voice/tone that was at least interesting and fun to tinker with for a few minutes.

I have been experimenting with strings on my ukes for a little while now. It is interesting the different tone you can get with differing brands and diameters. There are a lot of really nice choices out there these days.

I'm partial to Aquila Lavas. They're a bit to bright for my Ohana, though. I have Super Nylguts on my Kala, and I don't like them very much. I might switch it to Lavas, and switch the Ohana to Worth Browns.

I was under the impression that the Lava's ARE Super Nylgut, with dark gray coloring added. Have you heard/read different?
I like them both. They are indeed bright (on my Ohanas, they positively chime), but have pleasing tone, good sustain, break in really quickly, and hold their tuning remarkably well.
The pearly appearance doesn't hurt, either.

Top Bottom