Playing and Singing.

ohpooey

Reaction score
Is there anybody else here that has troble singing and playing at the same time? because everytime i try to do both, my playing gets off beat. Is that supposed to happen or am i doing it wrong or i need more practice? :[

I feel your pain. I have been playing for about 2 weeks and have absolutely no musical background. I picked up playing chords fairly quickly, but I also struggle with singing at the same time. I finally was able to put words to Jack Johnson's "breakdown" yesterday after a lot of practicing! Keep trying, you'll get it eventually!

more practice

If you practice enough, the uke playing will be automatic, and the singing will be much easier. It does take a lot of practice, depending on how difficult the piece is, but it will happen. It is so much fun to get to the point where you know a piece so well that you don't have to think about it when you play. It's a whole new level of satisfaction.

–Lori

Had this problem in the beginning too... I started to hum the song while playing the chords. After I could do both naturally, I added the singing... it was a nice gradual change for me...

6 months later... Much easier now.. Still a beginner tho :shaka:

this bothered me for the longest time too... this was the first song i learned to play and sing at the same time. i think it was easier for me because it has easy chords and the strumming pattern is the same throughout. plus the play-along style of the video makes it easier to keep on beat.

Practice is key... but so is slowing down. Don't try to tackle it a full speed right from the get go, especially if you're just starting.

Make haste slowly.

Slow it way down. Pretty soon the interplay between the words and the chords will be easier so you can speed it up. But just a bit. When that becomes comfortable, speed it up again.

Eventually, not only will that specific song be easy, but it'll be easier to learn other songs.

Any time you hit a new song with chord patterns you're not familiar with, slow down again.

Make haste slowly.

I know I said that before. But it bears repeating.

Lastly, remember two things:
  1. You will get it, if you're patient.
  2. It's not a competition. You'll get it at your own pace, and that's good enough.

I too used to have problems with playing and singing at the same time. The only cure is time and practice practice practice. :) It'll get easier!

Also, don't jump in with the World Most Complicated Strum Pattern. Start with a simple D D D D or DUDUDUDU. Sing along with that first.

You gotta walk before you can strut. :cool:

JJ

Rhythm is my bane. It has always been since my piano lessons.
I pick up the uke and its more fun.

I have mastered D D D D and DUDUDUDU. Also DU D DU D emphasis on 2nd and 4th beats.
Problem is they sound too dull.

Im currently working on D DU*UD which is pretty basic but sounds a way more interesting.
I still go off beat singing and playing this. Because the 3rd beat does not coincide with a strum.

Patience friend. You are not alone.
Keep posting about your progress. I will also post mine.

Last edited:
I've been finding that singing actually helps me keep the rhythm, although it makes playing harder.
Without singing I tend to speed up and up and up.....! :eek:

(I haven't tried any rhythm more complicated than DUDUDU whilst singing though)

It's hard, ain't it hard, ain't it real, real hard to sing the way some folks do....
(paraphrasing an old bluegrass song)

I can sing as long as I keep the strum simple, most folks don't want me to.
But.....

If I am playin someting like Aldrine's version of "Island in the Sun" it turns out like the "ol' 97" a real trainwreck.......
Or tryin to sing to any of Jack Johnsons songs... no way no how... if the strum dosen't go with the syllable's of the words I am lost!!!!!

Practice is key... but so is slowing down. Don't try to tackle it a full speed right from the get go, especially if you're just starting.

Make haste slowly.

Slow it way down. Pretty soon the interplay between the words and the chords will be easier so you can speed it up. But just a bit. When that becomes comfortable, speed it up again.

Eventually, not only will that specific song be easy, but it'll be easier to learn other songs.

Any time you hit a new song with chord patterns you're not familiar with, slow down again.

Make haste slowly.

I know I said that before. But it bears repeating.

Lastly, remember two things:
  1. You will get it, if you're patient.
  2. It's not a competition. You'll get it at your own pace, and that's good enough.

Because this bears repeating.

I have to do this all the time and I've been playing stringed things for decades. Practice practice practice and eventually it'll be an epiphany and it will work.

I'm doing it right now with a couple of things for the Orchestra. (Those talking bits in "Hey Ya" are a beyotch.)

If you find a song that you can play the melody, instead of the rhythm, while singing it's much easer. That way your playing and singing match and it take less brain power. I used teh song Home On The Range.

Top Bottom