Pekelo Publishing still operating?

johnson430

Reaction score
Recently, in great fear of not being able to get a copy, I purchased Book 2 from Pekelo on Amazon.

On that note, Amazon had 2 copies remaining after my purchase and
I do not see any other stores with Book 1 or 2 available.

I had a question about when book 3 was coming out so I tried to email (returned undelivered) and called the number ( no answer/no return call).

Are they still in business?

Thanks,
Johnson

BTW, I love this book series for getting a solid grasp of Hawaiian finger-style. I am learning so much from Pekelo.

In Vol 2, they say there will be a third book. I hope so because I really like the arrangements in 2. But it has been a long time, so perhaps two is all we'll get.

I hope they are still around as well. I have been searching for book 1 for some time now with no luck. I did get book 2 for Christmas and, after seeing this post, am very thankful that I did not wait any longer.

Petey,
Very cool that you found a used copy.
I have a feeling once WCBarnes see this it will be gone.

Yes! hehe I used to be a librarian (my library closed - budget cuts), but I still love books and I've been buying tons of uke books since 2006. There weren't many uke books back in 2006 but I keep track of what is available and on what sites (new and used). I've always been an e-book fan as well but that doesn't work well for ukulele books IMHO.

Glad to have helped out!

Petey

Seems like if Pekelo is working on Book 3, they would see the demand for Book 1 and make another run...

Seems like if Pekelo is working on Book 3, they would see the demand for Book 1 and make another run...

I agree.

Dan,
FYI, I am still waiting on those Living Water strings. I ordered them from the UK not knowing I could get sets from Uke Republic.
Oh well.

Someone beat me to it... :( Still on the hunt!

Wow! That was fast. Someone here must have seen my link and ordered it. I've checked out other used book sites but NADA for book one.

Even WORLDCAT.ORG (library catalogue of locations of books from libraries all across North America) only has volume 2 in Hawaii and in WA.

Pete

Wow! That was fast. Someone here must have seen my link and ordered it. I've checked out other used book sites but NADA for book one.

Even WORLDCAT.ORG (library catalogue of locations of books from libraries all across North America) only has volume 2 in Hawaii and in WA.

Pete

Perhaps this will be motivation for me to complete Book 1 to make it available to WC or whoever.
Recstar (Ryan) gave me a great deal on this copy so a good deal will have to come to the next owner as well.

Last edited:
Perhaps this will be motivation for me to complete Book 1 to make it available to to WC or whoever.
Recstar (Ryan) gave me a great deal on this copy so a good deal will have to come to the next owner as well.

Indeed, but finger-picking takes time so a year or two will definitely be on the horizon. I'm only learning John King's campanella now and that is at least a 2 year finger-picking project. Still, I appreciate your plan to pass on the materials at a reduced rate.

Though, I love hoarding my own uke books. I just wish Pekelo Publishing would publish some more copies even in PDF format for download and printing. I would even buy books 1-3! :cool:

Petey

Last edited:
Aloha Kakou(Aloha to All!)
For now - Kamoa Ukulele - http://kamoaukulelecompany.com/
ended up getting the last of my uke books ( Level 1 & Level 2 ) [last week], so if anyone is interested in contacting them, they
might still have some of these(?)
Outside of this - I'm completely out of my books! Things get a little complicated since some of my license/contracts have
expired & also - Criterion Music got bought out.
So its taking more time to get my books back in shape for more reprinting & publishing.
I made a big move back to hawaii! but my day job ends up taking a lot more time now-a-days.
It was actually a little chilly here this morning - at about 69deg! lol
If things go well(?) then it would be maybe later this year for having at least the first 2 books ready again.
I'm glad folks are enjoying the books - that's the fun of playing and learning!
Books 3 & 4 have been started but its too early to announce any kind of approximate ready-date.
[& also btw - I can't sell pdf's on these due to contract things]
Mahalo nui loa for understanding &
Hau'oli Makahiki Hou( Happy New Year!) & Mahalo to Uncle Rod for notifying me on this!
Pekelo

Last edited:
Aloha Kakou(Aloha to All!)
For now - Kamoa Ukulele - http://kamoaukulelecompany.com/
ended up getting the last of my uke books ( Level 1 & Level 2 ) [last week], so if anyone is interested in contacting them, they
might still have some of these(?)
Outside of this - I'm completely out of my books! Things get a little complicated since some of my license/contracts have
expired & also - Criterion Music got bought out.
So its taking more time to get my books back in shape for more reprinting & publishing.
I made a big move back to hawaii! but my day job ends up taking a lot more time now-a-days.
It was actually a little chilly here this morning - at about 69deg! lol
If things go well(?) then it would be maybe later this year for having at least the first 2 books ready again.
I'm glad folks are enjoying the books - that's the fun of playing and learning!
Books 3 & 4 have been started but its too early to announce any kind of approximate ready-date.
[& also btw - I can't sell pdf's on these due to contract things]
Mahalo nui loa for understanding &
Hau'oli Makahiki Hou( Happy New Year!) & Mahalo to Uncle Rod for notifying me on this!
Pekelo

Pekelo,
Thank you so much for the reply here and the PM.
I have thoroughly enjoyed Book 1 and cannot want to get into Book 2.

I wish you a happy and prosperous new year and the best of luck with your present and future endeavors.
Sincerely,
Johnson

I just noticed that Vol 1 is listed as in stock at nameahawaii.com.

I can not express (appropriately) my excitement to hear that you are working on not only book 3 but a book 4! Book 2 has been on my music stand for the past two (+) years along with Uke Aerobics and Abe's Jazz Ukeulele (in that order). I could not have appreciated the other two without Pekelo's. I have said it before but, it is worth repeating, that your books are the finest examples of ukulele education that have been published to date. From the methodical progression of lessons to the rich content of musical notation to the practical spiral bound format (all music education books should be like this).
So sorry to hear about the business complications. Maybe there is a internet savy member of UUG that could help you out with a 'kickstarter' thingy that might help grease the wheels? What say you UUG'ers?
With great appreciation and anticipation,
MtBoy

Pekelo books 1 and 2, combined with private uke lessons with Matt dahlberg, were the items that truly woke up my playing. Thank you.

If you are willing to put in the work then Pekelo's books are hard to beat. It brought my playing an rhythm up by more than a few steps. The book gave me the confidence to start exploring classical guitar.

If you work everyday for 10-15 minutes on Pekelo, you will see improvements. Also playing along with the CD helps greatly. Then put a metronome to different speeds while playing some of the exercises. This will help solidify the different rhythms.

I think the books move at a nice progression but expect to put in some time with them. It's like anything else, it takes focus and effort.

Top Bottom