Optimum action specs?

whistleman123

Reaction score
I know this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find the info again! What are the specs for action height on a soprano uke at 1st and 12th fret?

I'm lowering the action on my Aiersi and on my Stewart Mac gauge I'm at a hair over .25 at the first fret and 2.0 at the 12th fret with no buzzing.

Is it where it needs to be or do I have more to go.

Wouldnt that depend on the uke?

How much the neck bends under tension matters.

2mm is very low for an acoustic uke. I had a tenor ordered that way and it buzzed like crazy until I raised it closer to 2.5mm which is now my standard action height regardless of scale. Some folks like 3mm or even higher especially on a soprano to get more "bark".

Seems like it's pretty low already! Why do you want to lower it more? Most of mine are 3.0 at the 12th.

I know this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find the info again! What are the specs for action height on a soprano uke at 1st and 12th fret?

I'm lowering the action on my Aiersi and on my Stewart Mac gauge I'm at a hair over .25 at the first fret and 2.0 at the 12th fret with no buzzing.

Is it where it needs to be or do I have more to go.

That is low. If you got no buzz, you did good. But that might change if you use other strings.

This is what I like on my tenors: At the first fret 0.020"-0.030 (0.50-0.75mm). At the 12th fret 0.080-0.110" (2.0-2.7mm), depending on the neck relief.

It's what you like that matters. I set most of mine right around 2.0 at the 12th, but it varies a bit based on neck relief.

Last edited:
The more I play the more I like it a little on the high side. I can get more volume and tone that way, it feels like.

Top Bottom