Drum sander question.

tinyhouselutherie

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. I have a jet 10-20 which I do like, but I find trying to get the sanding scratches out of tops/backs/sides a pain. Was curious as to what some of you do. At the moment I'm thinking of picking up a scraper plane and going about it that way, feels like I would have much more control over that than an orbital sander. Thanks.

I bought myself one of those nice little festool random orbit sanders. Hooked to a vacuum it does a nice job with the fine work and has very good dust control.

I bought myself one of those nice little festool random orbit sanders. Hooked to a vacuum it does a nice job with the fine work and has very good dust control.

Is that variable speed? I've been having a hard time finding a good, low profile, variable speed electric ROS since Porter Cable discontinued their 390 model.

Yes I would say a random orbital sander works just fine. There will inevitably be some slight inconsistency in thickness, but who cares. It doesn't effect the sound of the top (much). That Porter Cable 390 always looked like a really nice tool and I was sorely tempted to buy one, but I just use a Dewalt 3 amp 5 inch and it does the job. Dust collection is not good though and using a hooked vacuum is a good idea. It is not variable speed. Also it is too heavy and a bit awkward for fine work. I use it also for sanding necks and I can tell you that my right arm looks like Popeye's. Wanna arm wrestle? Not really designed for luthiery work, but Home Depot has specials on them and they can be had for cheap.

Is that variable speed? I've been having a hard time finding a good, low profile, variable speed electric ROS since Porter Cable discontinued their 390 model.

The one I got is the smallest lightest one, model ETS 125. Yes has a very nice variable speed control. They are pricy compared to other brands but are very nice to use and seem very well built.

I have the Festo ETS 125 also. It's a really nice sander, and yes it's far more expensive than the other brands. Especially in Australia. Over $500. But it does work a treat. Would I buy it again.....maybe. Would I try another first. Probably.

I also have the Festool 125 and it's a dream. Can be as aggressive or as delicate as you want. I own the Midi dust extractor and it's a virtually dust free sanding experience. Quite nice. And, once you get the sander and the dust extractor, then you are only a track-saw away from your life being complete.

It sounds like the ETS 125 is a winner. I love the ergonomics of the Porter cable 390 but I've had to replace or buy parts for several of them. I've got two left and I am babying them. I'd like to try the Festool 125 though. RPA, can you tell me how tall the mini dust extractor is? I'd like to see if it'll fit in a particular spot under my bench. I really don't need another tool taking up floor space in my small shop. Also, does it come with self contained dust collector or is it intended for use only with the vacuum hose? Thanks.

Last edited:
Chuck, I have the "Midi" size - it's under 19" tall the "Mini" is under 17" tall. They have the same motor, but the Midi has a gallon more capacity. 2 gal bag for the Mini, 3+ gal for the Midi. The extractors are very quiet, variable speed to match your sanding requirement so you don't suck the sander down too firmly to the wood. I think there is a small dust bag with the sander, but it's all about using the dust extractor for me.

Edit: Just checked Festool site. the ETS 125 and the Mini extractor package is $622.50, and with the Midi size, it's $667.50. Both are no tax, and free shipping.

Last edited:
Chuck, I have the "Midi" size - it's under 19" tall the "Mini" is under 17" tall. They have the same motor, but the Midi has a gallon more capacity. 2 gal bag for the Mini, 3+ gal for the Midi. The extractors are very quiet, variable speed to match your sanding requirement so you don't suck the sander down too firmly to the wood. I think there is a small dust bag with the sander, but it's all about using the dust extractor for me.

Edit: Just checked Festool site. the ETS 125 and the Mini extractor package is $622.50, and with the Midi size, it's $667.50. Both are no tax, and free shipping.

Nice, that'll work. Thanks for the info RPA. Shipping to Hawaii is $100 and Amazon prime won't deliver here. I'll keep looking for the best shipping deal.

Maybe I'm just cheap and igerrent, but I can't see what's wrong with this $70 Makita BO5030. No swirl marks ever. It's lasted 3 or 4 years so far. It comes with a funky and useless dust collection bag but hook up a vacuum hose to it and sanding becomes a dust-free operation. My routine is to use the thickness sander to take a plate close to the desired thickness, then sand the finished side with the Makita to get rid of the longitudinal sanding marks, then back to the thickness sander to take the plate to the target dimension by sanding on the back side only.

23920543250_4ef949c730_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_0806 by saltytri, on Flickr[/IMG]

Maybe I'm just cheap and igerrent, but I can't see what's wrong with this $70 Makita BO5030. No swirl marks ever. It's lasted 3 or 4 years so far. It comes with a funky and useless dust collection bag but hook up a vacuum hose to it and sanding becomes a dust-free operation. My routine is to use the thickness sander to take a plate close to the desired thickness, then sand the finished side with the Makita to get rid of the longitudinal sanding marks, then back to the thickness sander to take the plate to the target dimension by sanding on the back side only.

Inexpensive is good. But is it variable speed? That's imperative to me.

just bought the BO5031 which is the same but with variable speed £78, used it for the first time today and very impressed. It's only a touch heavier than the Festo at 1.3kg and handles nicely in one hand.
I bought it to replace the ridiculously over the top and heavy duty Metabo SXE 450 which I bought recently, and that's now up for auction.

Inexpensive is good. But is it variable speed? That's imperative to me.

Good point. I forgot the mention the 10A Powerstat that sits on the bench, mostly to control the silicone heat blanket. So, yes, it's variable but the BO5031 is a pretty good idea also. :)

I want a low profile sander, the lower the better. The Porter cable 390 was a true palm sander. Unfortunately I do not have the electricity to run an air compressor all day or that's the route I would go.

Attachments

• pc2.jpg
    pc2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 19
  • pc1.jpg
    pc1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 18
I want a low profile sander, the lower the better. The Porter cable 390 was a true palm sander. Unfortunately I do not have the electricity to run an air compressor all day or that's the route I would go.
It's quite possible and comfortable to hold the Makita around the " waist", thus making it low profile.

Top Bottom