amazed at the weight still...

Donalson

Reaction score
so I'm historically a trumpet player, I played though jr and high school and a few years as a music major in college and spent some time making money playing... I've always loved dabbling with other instruments... we had a bunch in the house, mom played clarinet and taught herself how to play flute when I was very young (was needed in the church orchestra/band) and dabbled in piano, dad played sax, clarinet, guitar and piano, sisters stuck with the flute/piccolo and clarinet/bass clarinet. At 12 I was very close to getting a guitar... ended up just playing my dads until I could buy my own many years later, I played trumpet though school as I mentioned before and still play with the church from time to time, I dabbled with the sax, piano, trombone... it should be no surprise that my wife was a band geek as well (plays the clarinet and we met on a charter bus furring a band trip)

last November my mother in law was asking me what i wanted for Christmas and gave me my budget $$$ (she says i'm difficult to purchases for haha)... at the time I was battling some severe depression and for some reason the Uke sounded like a good/happy way to go... ended up getting an ohana from Mim... when I finally got it I was amazed at how light weight it was... I picked up a guitar after spending a bitr of time playing the uke and just wow... today I picked up my trumpet as I need to get my chops back in order and practicing the uke reminded me that I needed the practice lol... I was shocked again at just how heavy the case was... then I put the cases side by side... then I pulled out the camera and scales...

over 17lbs compared to a bit over 3lbs... granted the trumpet has my entire main kit and is a wood early 70's bach case vs a bare bones foam hard case... but I was still amazed... toting the uke around is easy, sitting at the park watching my kids while playing is simple.

I suppose all this is to say... ukes are a great fun instrument... everyone should get one... or two or three (yes I've already got my eyes on another... the answer is always n+1)... but I'm fairly sure I'm preaching to the choir here :)

2016-01-06 15.12.26.jpg
2016-01-06 15.14.45.jpg
2016-01-06 15.15.36.jpg
2016-01-06 15.17.02.jpg

It looks like you have a Ohana much like my CK-22 concert spruce top. I too was amazed at the lightness of it. And loud too compared with my Laminate Zebra wood Caramel. UAS is hard to resist.

ya it's a ck-22... I have a few issues with it and it's going back to Mim and trading out for another model... but she's on vacation for a bit and it's not bad enough that I can't enjoy playing it :)

Welcome to the fold! And congrats on finding the most fun instrument in the world!

ya it's a ck-22... I have a few issues with it and it's going back to Mim and trading out for another model... but she's on vacation for a bit and it's not bad enough that I can't enjoy playing it :)

I seem to have trouble making it ring. The G and C string in particular seem to boom if I do something in my strumming, finger picking is Okay, but I seldom do that. It has a much brighter tone than my laminates and sounds particularly good for some songs, and is very easy to fret. I may put the PHD's back on it the Fremonts seemed good but maybe ....?

Top Bottom