Nad

Rllink

Reaction score
For new Amp day. I ordered an Vox Mini3 from Sweetwater with some money that I got for Christmas, and it showed up yesterday. I don't know if it is against the rules to plug a company, but I'll give it a try anyway. I ordered it in Iowa, and needed it shipped to a P.O. box in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I live in a gated condo, and UPS and FedEx will not leave packages. Anyway, they were great about sending it down, which is not a big deal, except a lot of companies won't ship to PR or to a P.O. Box.

So I think about buying something for months before I buy it, and for months I went between the Mini3 and the Mini5. But I finally decided that the Mini5 just had too much going on, and that the Mini3 might give me less options to have to deal with. It still has a lot going on, enough to keep me busy for a while. So it showed up, I went down and got it, I took it home, plugged in, and gave it a try. The only people home in the condo yesterday was a guy down on first floor and across the patio. I'm on third, and he is a drummer anyway, so I just went for it. Only five minutes or so. He said he could hear it loud and clear down at his place, so I think that it is going to have enough volume for me.

So I'm happy with it first glance. We are going to a parranda Saturday night, which is a Christmas holiday tradition in Puerto Rico, where someone invites a bunch of people and a band to someone else's place for a big party, without telling them. I know, most places that wouldn't go over very well, but in PR, it is great fun. Then next weekend we have the SanSe festival, which should give me four days of opportunities to go out in the street and entertaining the masses. It is ideal, because I live on Calle San Sebastian, and that is the street where the festival is held. So I'm looking forward to cranking out some music the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Congrats Rolli, amps are a whole lotta funnnn. I got one back in June and it is as close to a Rockstar as I will ever feel. Just to be able to increase bass or treble and add some reverb really transforms the sound of a uke into more of an acoustical instrument. Great fun, enjoy

I have a Marshall amp up in Iowa that I bought at a garage sale, but it has to be plugged in for power. So it isn't something that you can play on the street without a drop cord and a plan. There are other issues that make it cumbersome to use, but I won't get into all that. But this should set me free, here in PR. I'm hoping it will anyway.

Well, we went to the parranda, but I didn't take the uke, and played my drum instead. But the SanSe starts tomorrow, and last night they cleared all the parking on the streets, so they are all blocked off, and this afternoon there were some people drifting by, even if it hasn't started yet. So I hauled everything out on the street to give it a trial run, and it worked pretty well. I was out there for about forty five minutes, and my wife came out and sang with me for a half hour or so. There is plenty of volume, and that was my biggest worry. I can get everything out there by myself in one trip, so that is good too. Looking forward to tomorrow.

I have used my Mini3 to sing and play for an anniversary party, I was doing solo ukulele and vocal and a Hula halau (group) danced, it was fun and it performed well, the crowd was about 60 people in an outdoor restaurant setting. The parranda sounds like a great idea, I would love to start something like that here in Hawaii.
I like the mini 3 because you can do instrument and vocal, and the levels and reverb for both the instrument and vocal inputs are adjustable separately. Mostly I just use the clean sound but it is fun to dial in some crunch and play Spinal Tap or whatever. :D

Top Bottom