Putting baritone strings on a tenor? Does that make sense?

Chrisinfp

Reaction score
Can I put low D strings on a tenor and play it as a baritone. I tried tuning a tenor to DGBE and it didn't sound right. Would it sound better to get the baritone strings for a tenor? Thanks

Low D is going to be tough to make work on tenor scale. Now high d dGBE can work quite well on tenor. With strings designed for it of course. Just tuning a standard gCEA set down is going to be horrible. I recommend the Southcoast HU-NW set for tenor dGBE.

Thank you. Can you explain the difference between. DGBE and dGBE tuning ? Thanks a lot

Thank you. Can you explain the difference between. DGBE and dGBE tuning ? Thanks a lot

It's to distinguish between linear tuning ie low D (DGBE) and reentrant tuning ie high D (dGBE).

As others have said, reentrant dGBE tuning works well on a tenor. I like it better than low G GCEA and have all my tenors tuned that way. I tried the Aquila strings on my Fluke and wasn't keen. I use Worth CF strings on my tenors and they work for me. The "F" stands for fat so they're slightly larger diameter than regular tenor strings and are sold as a high tension set but work OK in dGBE tuning. Themtension is somewhat lower than a regular set of tenor strings but I don't like the high tension of a tenor in standard tuning so they suit me fine.

Top Bottom