Case for Mainland Longneck Pineapple Concert

Futurethink

Reaction score
After a long search, I found a hard-foam case to fit my Mainland Concert-sized tenor-neck pineapple.
YMC-Simba-case_1848.jpg

I found it here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OH13R8U?psc=1

Delivery was astonishingly fast. I ordered it late January 7 and selected free shipping (not Prime). It was shipped on January 8, and arrived before lunch on January 9. The Mel Bay book I ordered at the same time (also from Amazon) has not yet been shipped.

The body cavity is a bit wide, but I plan to add a strap, and I'll need that space. The width of the opening is actually wide enough to accommodate my wife's Amahi/Snail Tenor (though, of course, the length is not long enough to hold a tenor).

The lid of the interior storage pocket is darker in color than the rest of the tan lining. That doesn't bother me for a case at this low price point. The two backpack straps are fairly thin--if you wanted to actually use these you'd be looking for some sort of pad to slip over them.

The zippered outside pocket is barely large enough to hold a copy of Ukulele Magazine (if you're careful when zipping it closed). It is not wide enough to hold an 8.5" by 11" piece of paper (0.125" wider than the magazine). That doesn't surprise me because it is a concert case.

Top to bottom the opening has about a quarter inch to spare. The interior length is actually 24.75", not 24.25" as shown in the listing.

There is an option for a blue lining, a grey lining, and a tan lining. I wish more case manufacturers would offer colors like this as an alternate to the black linings I see so often. Black makes it hard to find your tuner or a number of other things you might keep in the case.

The tenor sized version of this same case came with a peanut-shaped opening instead of the flattened egg-shaped opening I was looking for (and which was shown in the photographs). While my Mainland pineapple did fit in the tenor case, the waist of the opening forced the ukulele to the bottom of the opening. If you want one that holds your pineapple more snugly, the tenor size is an option to consider, or you could buy a concert-sized hard case from Mainland.

This pineapple does not fit in the retro-tweed case I got for my wife's concert-sized Ohana. The waist of the opening is at least an inch too narrow. It has more foam padding than some hard cases, and fits her Ohana perfectly.

I was shown that the concert sized hard cases sold by Mainland do work. Mike at Mainland sent these pictures;
DSCN0506.jpg
DSCN0507.jpg

Those look like nice cases, and I may order one later for a different ukulele. I did not want a case with a guitar-shape for my pineapple, so I didn't go that route. All of the pineapple-shaped cases I found were for the soprano-sized pineapples. Mandolin cases were too large. I'm pleased with the case I found.

Hey, ubulele, welcome back and Happy New Year! :eek:ld:

Nice looking Uke, Futurethink, put a piece of old towel in the case with it to make it fit better, and you can also use it to wipe off fingerprints.
:eek:ld:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this. FYI for others wanting a case for this particular uke, the Steady concert case works, and they're usually found at Uke Republic.

I thought this thread was going to be someone arguning the "case" for why one should by that particular type of uke. haha. I'm glad you found a case.

Is this the Mahogany version of the Mainland tenor Pineapple? I am looking for the Cedar version.

Also, I have the case which is a tight fit, but works.

This one is a Crossrock case.IMG_20151210_085927227.jpg

Last edited:
Is this the Mahogany version of the Mainland tenor Pineapple? I am looking for the Cedar version.

Yes, mine is Mahogany. Concert with a tenor neck.

I've only seen the Cedar offered as a Soprano (Soprano neck or Concert neck). Deschutestrout is offering one in the marketplace now.

Thanks for sharing this. FYI for others wanting a case for this particular uke, the Steady concert case works, and they're usually found at Uke Republic.

Yes, the Steady case/gigbag, and the Reunion Blues case/gigbag, and I looked at the Crossrock gigbags as well. I also considered Kaces and Mono and ProTec Max, and Gator.

i have one with friction tuners, you think there's enough space to accommodate them?

-barry

Yes. The friction tuners will fit easily.

I added a strap peg to the base of my pineapple, and then had to modify the case a tiny bit. If you don't have a strap peg--and if they have not changed the interior of the case--there should be no problem.

See my original note above about an earlier version of the case I ordered that had a peanut shaped opening. If you order a concert size and it arrives with a peanut-shaped cavity I can't say whether it will fit. The tenor-case with the peanut cavity did fit, but the 'ukulele looked lost in the case. The company however, accepted my return willingly, and refunded my money as soon as I took the case to UPS.

Seriously, I took the tenor case to UPS, drove home, and an email was waiting for me to say that the return had been logged and that my money was refunded. It could not have even left the UPS center yet.

I confirmed that the concert size had a cavity like the photo. With the service I'd received I did not hesitate to order the concert size case.

I just checked the link, and it looks like the tan interior is not available at this time. By no means is it a premium case, but it's a step up from a gig bag and does a fine job.

Top Bottom