Non-destructive instrument storage

Dusepo

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am (as ever) in the throes of instrument acquisition syndrome ;) but rapidly running out of space.
I've been hanging some of my instruments from picture hooks on the wall, whilst the rest are just lined up against the wall/floor below.

Does anyone have any ideas of ways to store instruments whilst not drilling into any walls?

You could investigate ukulele stands. I've seen rack style stands on the web that accommodate 4 or more instruments. Be advised that open air storage can be detrimental to your ukuleles, depending upon humidity levels where you keep them.

I store mine in cases stacked on shelves. If you don't have cases, or would prefer that the instruments are displayed, how about building a free-standing rack or case? I see from your website that you have talent working with wood. If you google "guitar display rack" you might see some examples that you could build/modify to your needs.

I converted a shelf in my bookcase to a display/humador cabinet, inspired by a post from wickedwahine11 last year.

1 Shelf.jpg

Humidity is a major factor

Depending on what the climate's like where you live,I live in Canada where it gets quite cold and dry in the winter. One of my tenors cracked down the back a couple of winters ago.
Still sounds great and I use it for performing. My repair guy has 2 large humidifiers in his shop and suggested I do the same. I store my ukes in the basement. with 4 humidifiers
running 24/7 so far so good. This is what recommend. if you have cold dry winters the humidity should be ideally 45-50

Just a quick question from a new ukulele player...
Is it okay to hang the ukuleles from the tuning pegs? I'd love to get my two ukes up on the wall when winter is over and the humidity is back to reasonable levels (right now I keep my solid koa concert in its case with a humidifier). I think it would look great as well as be more convenient to have them readily available on the wall :).

I live in a small appartment, so I had to come up with a vertical solution to stack as many instruments as possible. I have been using a simple Ikea shelf with some extra boards. This way, I can have up to 14 ukes in less than half a square meter. The shelf provides easy access to each instrument without piling them all onto each other. Instruments have to be stored in their cases, but that's better to control humidity anyway. A picture and more details are posted in this thread.

Thanks to you both for your suggestions!

Uke1950, a stand would be great but not possible due to my baby daughter crawling about on the floor, soon to be walking. She would tear the uke down in seconds :p.
Ideally I would want them on the wall during spring, summer and fall - which should be okay where I live (Sweden). Our winters are cold and dry though, so right now I keep my solid uke in its case, on a shelf. Your idea is great Rakelele, but I only have 2 ukes (so far, UAS anyone?)

Would it be okay to hang them on the pegs as shown here?
http://www.gotaukulele.com/2014/08/ukulele-hangers-review.html

I've got some paracord lying around at home and could easily make something similar, as long as it wouldnt be detrimental to the ukes?

Thanks again for your input!

Last edited:
Top Bottom