Baritone ukulele questions.

DanielWS

Reaction score
I have my first ukulele on the way so I'm looking for a book on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bay-Barit..._UL160_SR124,160_&refRID=0X58GVQEZWW02KVHCKDQ

In the description it mentions that the book covers DGBE tuning and how to hold the pick (?).

Is DGBE tuning the traditional tuning for the baritone ukulele?

Is it common for one to use a pick when playing the baritone ukulele?

Does a baritone ukulele use bronze/steel strings instead of the nylon or 'gut' type strings?

Thanks.

Yes, DGBE is traditional but not the only option by any means. It will most likely come that way but you can get different strings for other options.

Pick or fingers is personal preference.

No steel strings but oftentimes will be wound nylon like classical guitar strings. You can also get all nonwound strings.

As already mentioned, yes, DGBE is the traditional tuning. Some folks will use other tunings, but that is up to each individual as to what they prefer. Most likely it will come with a 50/50 string set up that has two wound strings and two nylon. The wound strings are classical metal wound over nylon, not steel strings. Some can come with all plain strings though.

As for a pick, you can use one but I would say most uke players don't. Again, it's all what you prefer.

If Willie Nelson can use a pick on a classical guitar I can use one on a baritone ukulele. But I'll try not to wear a hole through the top like he has on his guitar.

picks are too easy to lose...

Top Bottom