PDA

View Full Version : What's the uke you've had the longest?

Doc_J
01-10-2016, 09:03 AM
What uke have you had the longest? Does it have any story to it? How did you get it? Is it a lifetime instrument?

Having gone through a few ukes, of all sizes, this one is a definitely a lifetime instrument. This is the one uke I have had the longest (since Feb. 2011). It's a tenor scale Compass Rose in flamed cherry. I got it from MGM after the 2011 NAMM show, where Rick Turner displayed it (@t=6:35).
https://youtu.be/wzjtjQzVES0?t=6m35s

I wanted a uke that sounded the most guitar-like and asked MGM for advice. He told me to get a Compass Rose, and he just picked up a couple at NAMM. Mike said this flamed cherry tenor sounded really incredible, was the best sounding of the ones he had (including two $4k spruce/rosewood models). So, with that recommendation I got it. It was my first "custom" uke, and the first uke that cost me over $1,000. It was a leap. I was not disappointed.

It sounds warm, loud, bright trebles, clear distinct note separation. It was the first easy playing tenor I had tried (a real joy to play). Yeah, it sounds more guitarish than most ukes. But, that's what I wanted and like. It has only gotten better sounding with age. No doubt this tenor will remain with me.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/Compass%20Rose/P1070675_zpsqmazwjcj.jpg

janeray1940
01-10-2016, 09:12 AM
The uke I've had the longest is a 2008 Kamaka HF-2 that I bought via a Craigslist post. It's probably the best-sounding Kamaka I've ever owned or played, and it's a keeper.

Not really that much of a story, but the seller was a local musician trying to scrape together rent money, and he listed the uke for well under market value in hopes of a quick sale. The minute I was sure I wanted it, I gave him $100 more than his asking price - and would have upped it even more if I had it but I was pretty broke too! No idea what happened to him, but I know that at the time I was in a pretty dark place myself and after bringing that uke home, things turned around for the better for me. I like to think of it as "what comes around, goes around" and I hope that somehow things got better for the seller as well.

Mim
01-10-2016, 09:31 AM
My first uke, a Kala Spruce Top / Lam Spalted Maple Back and Sides.

I am sentimental and could never sell it.

Plus it still sounds amazing!

RichM
01-10-2016, 09:33 AM
I gave my first uke, an inexpensive laminate import, to a friend, who still plays it. I still have my second uke, a Kala solid cedar top over laminate koa back & sides tenor. Still one of the best ukes I own.

actadh
01-10-2016, 09:33 AM
The ukulele I have had the longest is $15 First Act soprano. It was the start of my ukulele journey. I got it two years ago.

whistleman123
01-10-2016, 09:37 AM
It's always the one I currently own. I don't have uad. When I buy a new one I evauate it. If it's better than the one I already have it becomes the keeper. The other gets sold!

Currently the keeper is an Aiersi Ovation style soprano that I'm using to play and to experiment with set up, repair techniques, and accesories.

mds725
01-10-2016, 09:59 AM
The ukulele I've owned the longest is the first one I bought - a Kala solid mahogany concert I bought at El Cerrito Music Works. I don't play it much, as I've migrated to tenors and baritones, but I'm sentimentally attached to it. A few years ago, I sold the first tenor I bought, a Kala solid acacia, to a friend, and I still see it regularly. The uke I've had the longest that I play regularly is my first Kamaka tenor, which I bought in April 2011 in Kapa'a, Kaua'i. The chronologically oldest uke I own is a 2005 Kamaka tenor I bought used at Gryphon Stringed Instruments later in 2011.

Down Up Dick
01-10-2016, 10:07 AM
Well, I've had a Ka-lai Solid Pineapple Soprano since 1963. It has a picture of a pineapple on it, and it has a made in Hawaii sticker in it. It was mostly a wall hanger for 50 years before I took it down and began my ukulele career. I don't play it much, but it still plays.

My Hawaiian Godmother used it for a long time (I guess), and then she gave it to me. My nieces and nephew played with it when I was overseas, but I got it back, repaired it and hung it up. It's in one of my book cases now.
:old:

Brad Bordessa
01-10-2016, 10:12 AM
My Telleno soprano. Crappiest uke I ever have seen, but it got me started. Still in a box with the neck falling off.

PhilUSAFRet
01-10-2016, 10:21 AM
My first uke was a pre-war Martin O my dad gave me on my 10th birthday in 1951. Needless to say, it's now a family heirloom and sounds amazing in every way. It was my only uke for about 45 years, until I started to get serious about ukes. At 54 years and counting, believe I'm in the lead.

Dwjkerr
01-10-2016, 10:40 AM
he UkeI've owned the longest is h Beaver Creek soprano. Solid top mahogany Thedealersai that only a professinal woud be interested in that model. Which s why I, all of a sudden, wanted it.

deschutestrout
01-10-2016, 10:42 AM
My first uke, a Kala Spruce Top / Lam Spalted Maple Back and Sides.

I am sentimental and could never sell it.

Plus it still sounds amazing!

Sold one of those. Regret it to this day. Only uke I've sold that I regret.

vanflynn
01-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Kamaka Tiki I got in 3rd grade (48 years ago). It hibernated in my parents house for about 35 years until I rediscovered the joys of the ukulele.

Sylvan
01-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Mine is my first uke which is a Mainland mahoghany concert I got back in 2009. It still plays and sounds great. It's what got me hooked and for that reason, I'll probably never sell it.

UkieOkie
01-10-2016, 10:58 AM
The one I have had the longest was my first. It is a Hilo brand really cheap and muddy sounding baritone. Its probably 15 years old or so.

Croaky Keith
01-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Mine's a Makala MK-T tenor - had it since November last year! :rofl:

Ukulele Eddie
01-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Fun thread. The uke I've had the longest is my Collings UC3 Spruce/Maple Cherry Sunburst (photo in my avatar). I acquired this beauty from fellow UU member @Coolcow shortly after she got it. Here is the original listing: http://www.theukulelesite.com/collings-concert-uc3msb-1443.html

To me this uke is still one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. The quilting in the maple is amazing. And the cherry sunburst is a stunner. Of course, all this would be meaningless if it didn't sound good or play well. Fortunately, it does both very well. The tone is among the best I've heard, especially from a concert uke. I love the Collings neck shape - it's perfect for me - and I find the overall playability about perfect.

I can't imagine ever selling this one.

DownUpDave
01-10-2016, 12:32 PM
That Compass Rose is a beauty Hodge. The uke I have owned the longest is the first uke I bought, a Gretsch G9120 all mahogany laminate tenor. It is still a good sounding and playing uke.

I lent it to a friend up the street who wanted to learn how to play ukulele. He got hooked, liked it so much he bought one for himself.......good karma, never selling it.

Dan Uke
01-10-2016, 12:48 PM
I have a Kamaka from Dec 2012. It had a build date of Mar 2011, which is my 40th Bday. I started uke in May 2011 so the date reminds me of my bday and when I started

saltytri
01-10-2016, 12:53 PM
The first one I bought, in about 2010 I think, is the only one I've kept other than a couple of my own. It's a Pono MDB mahogany baritone that is remarkably sweet sounding. It would be looney to sell it because it is such a nice player and wouldn't bring enough to fund a replacement anywhere as good.

stevejfc
01-10-2016, 01:21 PM
An Oscar Schmidt OU-5 solid mahogany concert, which is also my first...... so just can't part with it.
Beautiful Compass Rose, Hodge. Much prettier than my plain Jane CR burl walnut.

70sSanO
01-10-2016, 01:43 PM
I have a tenor made by Keith Ogata that I got in May 2007.

John

sopher
01-10-2016, 02:44 PM
Weird story.

I played guitar for a long time. My daughter would climb in my lap when she was young and strum the strings while I fretted. But she would never play any instrument that I played (only things she could be "better than Dad").

So I bought a Fluke tenor and hoped that she would take that up. Never happened. I'm a lefty, so I couldn't play it without restringing it anyway. Ten years later I took up the uke because I could carry it on the plane and take it on vacation. I didn't like tenor, so now I have 3 baris and the Fluke hasn't been out of the case in more than a year.

Half a dozen lefty guitars haven't been played for a few years, and then there is the 5-string banjo.

rappsy
01-10-2016, 03:06 PM
I have had my KoAloha LN Concert the longest. It has been a great player. Over time, I have started to stray and my favorite is the Kamaka LN Concert. As there are not a lot of LN Concerts out there, both of these are in a very small fraternity.

jgarber
01-10-2016, 03:36 PM
The ukulele I have had the longest is my Martin Style 0 soprano which I probably bought in the early 1980s for IIRC $65. It is still a great sounding one and plays great. It is also my first ukulele. So I have had it for more than 30 years.

Nickie
01-10-2016, 03:47 PM
My Kala KA-SMECE-C. Mim picked it out for me about 3 years ago. I'll not part with it. It's been through pure heck (almost hell) with me.
It's invoked about every emotion I think I could have.

bluesuke
01-10-2016, 04:03 PM
I have had a Pono Koa concert I bought in 05 from MGM and I can't bring myself to get rid of it

DaveY
01-10-2016, 04:39 PM
A Mahalo soprano (my first uke) that I bought about eight years ago for $25, along with a thin Jim Beloff songbook for $15 ó an unusual 5:3 ratio of instrument to songbook. I donít play the Mahalo, but kids do when I do uke workshops, and my daughter brings it when she babysits her high school band directorís three-year-old boy, who sometimes tries to use it as a javelin. So Iím glad that my first uke wasnít a Moore Bettah. (Actually, Iím not.)

mm stan
01-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Rogue soprano...i still enjoy it very much

UkerDanno
01-10-2016, 05:15 PM
My first uke, a Lanikai LU-11 soprano, it's been about 4 1/2 years now. I'll never sell it, might pass it on to a family member someday though. Since then, I've probably gone through close to 20 instruments and currently have 6.

hollisdwyer
01-10-2016, 07:21 PM
I guess that I am not as sentimental as most because the Uke I've had the longest is only 1.25 years old. The Boat Paddle ML Tenor was my first "I commissioned it" custom. I fell in love with the process as well as the instrument that it produced. It is such a quirky looking instrument (which suits my sensibilities) as well as a wonderful sounding instrument. From the day I first received it I said "this is a keep forever instrument". I have not changed my mind.

kohanmike
01-10-2016, 08:59 PM
My first uke in June 2013 was a Mahalo T30 which I bought mail order on a whim for $60 because it was designed after the Fender Telecaster guitar I had and thought they would look good together, but when I tried to play it, I discovered it was too small to play effectively. I immediately went to Sam Ash and bought a Lanikai quilted ash cutaway tenor. I sold the Maholo to another member of The CC Strummers group to which I belong and she's made good use of it ever since.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Mahalo tele pick guard.jpg

About a month later, being caught up in UAS, I saw a really pretty two hole flame acacia koa uke with abalone binding on a Chinese web site for $160. I've had it over 2 years, it sounds really good and is certainly one of my 4 keepers (see my signature) after going through a total of 16 ukes in a little over a year, which I've sold, gifted and traded. (Now I have BUAS, bass uke acquisition syndrome.)

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Uku masked.jpg

kvehe
01-10-2016, 10:07 PM
The uke I've had the longest is a Kala KA-S that Amazon "suggested" to me on 19 Feb 2012. Hmmm, a uke, that might be fun; the rest is history. I never play it, but keep it around because I'm sentimentally attached to it, it's small, it doesn't take up much room, etc.

Ukuleledad
01-11-2016, 12:49 AM

Many Ukes have come and gone over the last few years, but this has outlasted them all!

wayfarer75
01-11-2016, 02:26 AM
The uke I've had the longest is a Kala KA-S that Amazon "suggested" to me on 19 Feb 2012. Hmmm, a uke, that might be fun; the rest is history. I never play it, but keep it around because I'm sentimentally attached to it, it's small, it doesn't take up much room, etc.

That's the same model I started with. Still have it--I got it as a present in December 2010.

SailingUke
01-11-2016, 05:40 AM
I have my original uke given to me by my Grandmother in 1958, a Harmony Roy Smeck with plastic fret board.
It still plays, but is the center piece on my uke wall.

M3Ukulele
01-11-2016, 05:59 AM
Pono AT....went to Oahu for vacation 2.5 years ago. Wanted to take a travel guitar............found HMS and as the saying goes............ The rest is history! Discovered the Ukulele.....loved it.... Sold off five guitars and still have four at home. Now, playing, learning and collecting Ukuleles. The Pono is a serious instrument., with great fretwork, intonation and well built. If I were to ever replace the AT it would be for a Pro Classic Gotta have a Pono in my collection. Love the neck and love the fact it has a truss rod ( although never have had to adjust a things cause HMS and Joel does such a great job of set up). I will always have a Pono even though I have other more expensive custom ukuleles.

Roy Jovero
01-11-2016, 06:02 AM
Out of all the ukulele's I've owned over the years, I believe my current Ohana concert is the one I've owned the longest. It'll soon be going to a new owner, as I've got a Kanile'a K1 tenor coming, and that one will never leave me.

TheCraftedCow
01-11-2016, 09:55 AM
She was 5 years old when her mother bought it at a garage sale in 1955.It is solid wood, with no identification marks of even where one might have been. It had an ugly finish on it so I used commercial wood stripper and took it down to bare wood. It got a coat of maple stain, and a hand rubbed coat of tru-oil. It runs Aquila white reentrant tuning. It became `mine` soon to be two years ago. Regardless of its initial cost, it would be the very last to go. It has good sound, but even better memories of the 39 years it was ours. It was going to go with us on our 40th anniversary and first trip to Hawaii...Earth's Island Paradise. She bypassed the copy and went to The Real Thing. Her last birthday present to me was a Mike Pereira(www.mpukulele.com) #081 concert curly maple with curly maple edge trim everywhere, and a curly cedar top. It has been with me three years. It has much better looks and sound than the first mentioned one, but not nearly the precious memories of it. Quite often I find something's worth is not determined by the numbers on a price tag.

bonesigh
01-11-2016, 06:27 PM
Oscar Schmidt Bell Concert. 5 years now and I still play her from time to time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6-B7y2W2iw

kaizersoza
01-11-2016, 07:29 PM
My first uke was a cheapo uke that I cannot remember the name of, I quickly upgraded to a blue sparkly dolphin soprano, I played this and this is the uke I regard as my first proper uke, still got and I playit when I am waiting for my car share to work, I won't part with it because of sentimental reasons

consitter
01-11-2016, 07:48 PM
My first uke was a KoAloha standard bought on the Big Island back in September of 2005. Still have it of course. The stable has been added to through both gifts and inheritance since that time, and all have been KoAloha.

Patrick Madsen
01-12-2016, 05:54 AM
I knew I wanted a quality uke when I decided to try one out. It came to a tossup of a vintage Gibson tenor and a Griffin tenor. I placed an ad is our local newspaper looking for a quality tenor and Mr. Griffin responded saying he had one.
I bought it and another 4 since then; about 5 years ago. I sold the very first one I bought so I guess the longest I've had a uke has been 4 1/2 years. I'll never sell anymore of my Griffins; they have such a powerful clear sound.

Stevelele
01-12-2016, 07:25 AM
beautiful grain--I don't often see Compass Rose ukes for sale on the secondary market--people must be very satisfied

What uke have you had the longest? Does it have any story to it? How did you get it? Is it a lifetime instrument?

Having gone through a few ukes, of all sizes, this one is a definitely a lifetime instrument. This is the one uke I have had the longest (since Feb. 2011). It's a tenor scale Compass Rose in flamed cherry. I got it from MGM after the 2011 NAMM show, where Rick Turner displayed it (@t=6:35).

I wanted a uke that sounded the most guitar-like and asked MGM for advice. He told me to get a Compass Rose, and he just picked up a couple at NAMM. Mike said this flamed cherry tenor sounded really incredible, was the best sounding of the ones he had (including two $4k spruce/rosewood models). So, with that recommendation I got it. It was my first "custom" uke, and the first uke that cost me over $1,000. It was a leap. I was not disappointed.

It sounds warm, loud, bright trebles, clear distinct note separation. It was the first easy playing tenor I had tried (a real joy to play). Yeah, it sounds more guitarish than most ukes. But, that's what I wanted and like. It has only gotten better sounding with age. No doubt this tenor will remain with me.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/Compass%20Rose/P1070675_zpsqmazwjcj.jpg

brimmer
01-12-2016, 11:31 AM
A green Flea started it all. Still play it too.

drbekken
01-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Rogue soprano...i still enjoy it very much

I have also had a Rogue soprano (and a baritone) for several years. They are the ones I have owned the longest.

Rakelele
01-13-2016, 06:30 AM
I have sold the cheap laminate Soprano that I started out with, but still have my first "good" uke, a solid Pono Acacia Tenor. I have bought many ukes since then, but soundwise, that Pono is pretty much as good as any.

AndrewKuker
01-13-2016, 06:48 AM

I played that instrument for a while in Mike's hotel room at the end of NAMM. We had way too much fun on that trip. Mike had to postpone his flight back just to rest. Cool that you kept that one Hodge.

Tootler
01-13-2016, 10:10 AM
Of the ukes I currently own, the ones I've had the longest are a Flea and a Rosewood Bruko Concert and both are played regularly.

I've had others before that but they've all been rehomed - mostly given to charity shops. My Granddaughter has a Kala solid top Acacia that I bought before the two above.

NewKid
01-13-2016, 02:03 PM
Mike Pereira custom tenor with a walnut back that has the face of a hound dog in the grain. I received it on May 1st 2013 so it will be three years old in a few months.

joekulele
01-13-2016, 05:35 PM
I will always have my first uke that I bought in August, 2009. It is a concert Pineapple Flea (see signature). I bought it the summer after I found out I was going to be teaching kindergarten and taught myself how to play. One thing led to another and now I have a 35 member, after school ukulele club and lead a once a month community uke jam that consistently draws about 100 players.

fretie
01-14-2016, 02:44 AM
My Koaloha long neck pineapple. Got it from HMS a few years back. They sent it to me when I was staying on the Big Island. Fond memories of unboxing it and sitting right there on the lanai by the ocean playing it for hours.