What's the uke you've had the longest?

Doc_J

Reaction score
What uke have you had the longest? Does it have any story to it? How did you get it? Is it a lifetime instrument?

Having gone through a few ukes, of all sizes, this one is a definitely a lifetime instrument. This is the one uke I have had the longest (since Feb. 2011). It's a tenor scale Compass Rose in flamed cherry. I got it from MGM after the 2011 NAMM show, where Rick Turner displayed it (@t=6:35).

I wanted a uke that sounded the most guitar-like and asked MGM for advice. He told me to get a Compass Rose, and he just picked up a couple at NAMM. Mike said this flamed cherry tenor sounded really incredible, was the best sounding of the ones he had (including two $4k spruce/rosewood models). So, with that recommendation I got it. It was my first "custom" uke, and the first uke that cost me over $1,000. It was a leap. I was not disappointed.

It sounds warm, loud, bright trebles, clear distinct note separation. It was the first easy playing tenor I had tried (a real joy to play). Yeah, it sounds more guitarish than most ukes. But, that's what I wanted and like. It has only gotten better sounding with age. No doubt this tenor will remain with me.

P1070675_zpsqmazwjcj.jpg

The uke I've had the longest is a 2008 Kamaka HF-2 that I bought via a Craigslist post. It's probably the best-sounding Kamaka I've ever owned or played, and it's a keeper.

Not really that much of a story, but the seller was a local musician trying to scrape together rent money, and he listed the uke for well under market value in hopes of a quick sale. The minute I was sure I wanted it, I gave him $100 more than his asking price - and would have upped it even more if I had it but I was pretty broke too! No idea what happened to him, but I know that at the time I was in a pretty dark place myself and after bringing that uke home, things turned around for the better for me. I like to think of it as "what comes around, goes around" and I hope that somehow things got better for the seller as well.

I gave my first uke, an inexpensive laminate import, to a friend, who still plays it. I still have my second uke, a Kala solid cedar top over laminate koa back & sides tenor. Still one of the best ukes I own.

The ukulele I have had the longest is $15 First Act soprano. It was the start of my ukulele journey. I got it two years ago.

It's always the one I currently own. I don't have uad. When I buy a new one I evauate it. If it's better than the one I already have it becomes the keeper. The other gets sold!

Currently the keeper is an Aiersi Ovation style soprano that I'm using to play and to experiment with set up, repair techniques, and accesories.

The ukulele I've owned the longest is the first one I bought - a Kala solid mahogany concert I bought at El Cerrito Music Works. I don't play it much, as I've migrated to tenors and baritones, but I'm sentimentally attached to it. A few years ago, I sold the first tenor I bought, a Kala solid acacia, to a friend, and I still see it regularly. The uke I've had the longest that I play regularly is my first Kamaka tenor, which I bought in April 2011 in Kapa'a, Kaua'i. The chronologically oldest uke I own is a 2005 Kamaka tenor I bought used at Gryphon Stringed Instruments later in 2011.

Well, I've had a Ka-lai Solid Pineapple Soprano since 1963. It has a picture of a pineapple on it, and it has a made in Hawaii sticker in it. It was mostly a wall hanger for 50 years before I took it down and began my ukulele career. I don't play it much, but it still plays.

My Hawaiian Godmother used it for a long time (I guess), and then she gave it to me. My nieces and nephew played with it when I was overseas, but I got it back, repaired it and hung it up. It's in one of my book cases now.
:eek:ld:

Last edited:
My Telleno soprano. Crappiest uke I ever have seen, but it got me started. Still in a box with the neck falling off.

My first uke was a pre-war Martin O my dad gave me on my 10th birthday in 1951. Needless to say, it's now a family heirloom and sounds amazing in every way. It was my only uke for about 45 years, until I started to get serious about ukes. At 54 years and counting, believe I'm in the lead.

Last edited:
he UkeI've owned the longest is h Beaver Creek soprano. Solid top mahogany Thedealersai that only a professinal woud be interested in that model. Which s why I, all of a sudden, wanted it.

My first uke, a Kala Spruce Top / Lam Spalted Maple Back and Sides.

I am sentimental and could never sell it.

Plus it still sounds amazing!

Sold one of those. Regret it to this day. Only uke I've sold that I regret.

Kamaka Tiki I got in 3rd grade (48 years ago). It hibernated in my parents house for about 35 years until I rediscovered the joys of the ukulele.

Mine is my first uke which is a Mainland mahoghany concert I got back in 2009. It still plays and sounds great. It's what got me hooked and for that reason, I'll probably never sell it.

The one I have had the longest was my first. It is a Hilo brand really cheap and muddy sounding baritone. Its probably 15 years old or so.

Fun thread. The uke I've had the longest is my Collings UC3 Spruce/Maple Cherry Sunburst (photo in my avatar). I acquired this beauty from fellow UU member @Coolcow shortly after she got it. Here is the original listing: http://www.theukulelesite.com/collings-concert-uc3msb-1443.html

To me this uke is still one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. The quilting in the maple is amazing. And the cherry sunburst is a stunner. Of course, all this would be meaningless if it didn't sound good or play well. Fortunately, it does both very well. The tone is among the best I've heard, especially from a concert uke. I love the Collings neck shape - it's perfect for me - and I find the overall playability about perfect.

I can't imagine ever selling this one.

That Compass Rose is a beauty Hodge. The uke I have owned the longest is the first uke I bought, a Gretsch G9120 all mahogany laminate tenor. It is still a good sounding and playing uke.

I lent it to a friend up the street who wanted to learn how to play ukulele. He got hooked, liked it so much he bought one for himself.......good karma, never selling it.

I have a Kamaka from Dec 2012. It had a build date of Mar 2011, which is my 40th Bday. I started uke in May 2011 so the date reminds me of my bday and when I started

The first one I bought, in about 2010 I think, is the only one I've kept other than a couple of my own. It's a Pono MDB mahogany baritone that is remarkably sweet sounding. It would be looney to sell it because it is such a nice player and wouldn't bring enough to fund a replacement anywhere as good.

Top Bottom