PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite uke?

Fleacia
01-10-2016, 11:59 AM
I like Hodge's thread on which uke you've had the longest. But I've only had my favorite uke since sept. So I thought I'd ask:

What's your favorite uke and why? What is its story if any? And then, how long have you had it?

Mine is a Mainland red cedar concert. No story really, except that I tried the tenor briefly and thought gee, I'd love a concert! Had to wait another 15 months and then make several payments before I received the uke. And it was well worth it!

I love western red cedar for no other reason than I just do... :o Concert scale is comfortable no matter what I play. There are lots of things, but this uke just has a sound and playability I really like. It fits what I write and even adds to it.

Now it's your turn!

actadh
01-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Mine is my Opio soprano. It is perfect..and a joy to play.

I have had it since September 2014. I had spent that summer clearing out my parents house prior to selling it so my mom could afford more time in a nice long term care facility. It was 55 years worth of stuff. It was my reward to myself for a pretty awful five weeks.

ScooterD35
01-10-2016, 01:37 PM
My favorite Uke is my concert Tie-Dye Flea.

For my 50th birthday, my wife said we could add to the $150 my mom sent me and I could order whatever Ukulele I wanted up to $400 from her, my son and my mom. Easiest choice I ever made. I called Phyllis at The Magic Fluke Co. and ordered a concert Tie-Dye Flea with a rosewood fingerboard, Lucy's Rainbow tuners, a hard shell case, and a copy of The Daily Ukulele. She even sent me some pictures so I could choose my own top.

Great thread!

Thanks,

Scooter

janeray1940
01-10-2016, 01:56 PM
I feel almost guilty for picking a favorite since really, I like all three of my ukes equally but for different reasons... but I'd have to say my longneck Kamaka soprano, because it's the only one of the three with a 14-fret join and with Gotoh UPTs, both of which I like so much that I doubt I'll ever buy a uke that doesn't have these features. I've even considered retrofitting my other two ukes with the UPTs but somehow can't quite bring myself to alter them.

Fleacia
01-10-2016, 02:15 PM
I feel almost guilty for picking a favorite since really, I like all three of my ukes equally but for different reasons...

LOL, I didn't think to mention I only have this one uke. :o I've had many others over the years, but it's down to this one. I also figured out I don't do well with more than one. Still, though I've found something to enjoy about every uke I've played, the one I have now is my favorite.

Doc_J
01-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Tough question. I just can't do it. Each of my ukes is has their own beauty and sound. Can't pick just one. My current favorite varies, depending the music played and my mood.

Ukulele Eddie
01-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Tough question. I just can't do it. Each of my ukes is has their own beauty and sound. Can't pick just one. My current favorite varies, depending the music played and my mood.

Same for me.

70sSanO
01-10-2016, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure if I should reply since it will be somewhat meaningless most people. My favorite is a tenor made by John Fitzgerald that I picked up a few months ago. It is his first ukulele, s/n #01, although John has been making guitars for around 15 years. Cedar top, walnut back and sides. Has all the good stuff... beveled arm rest and cut-out, side port. Nice sounding and playing ukulele.

John

rappsy
01-10-2016, 03:02 PM
My Kamaka LN Concert has put many of my others back on the wall. It sounds and feels so good...

Nickie
01-10-2016, 03:59 PM
The same solid mahog Kala I posted under the thread "What's the uke you've had the longest?"

Joyful Uke
01-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Whatever ukulele is in my hands and I'm playing is my favorite. :-)

mm stan
01-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Like having many friends with different personalities and voices i plead to love many for different reasons

Buc-a-Roo
01-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Easy. My early 20s Martin-made Wurlitzer 2K with natural gut strings on it. Sweet, warm and wonderful!

UkerDanno
01-10-2016, 05:18 PM
My Kanile'a is my favorite by a long ways, I have an assortment of different things, but the Kanile'a sounds and plays so nice it's hard to give the others a lot of playing time.

Camsuke
01-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Like having many friends with different personalities and voices i plead to love many for different reasons

I must agree with Stan, each have their own very special qualities. It would almost be unfair to single one out as a favourite.

hollisdwyer
01-10-2016, 06:57 PM
I can only say that my:
Boat Paddle is my favourite 4 string tenor
My Barron River is my favourite 8 string tenor and
My DaSilva Martin 3K is my favourite soprano.

Because I don't have multiples of similar instruments and that all of my current collection are such fine instruments, I can only answer the question this way.

Uke man
01-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Whatever ukulele is in my hands and I'm playing is my favorite. :-)

Yep, just like you can't eat and enjoy steak everyday...I like more then one brand of uke, and the one I'm playing is my favorite that day.

kohanmike
01-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Tough question... Can't pick just one...

I keep wafting between my Uku two hole and my Kala cedar/acacia koa that Mim recommended.

jollyboy
01-10-2016, 09:28 PM
I love my Kala cedar top concert. Picked it up second-hand off ebay, just after having shortlisted the same model for possible future acquisition. I was able to negotiate a good price too. I really like the tone - it sounds really well-balanced to me - both warm and bright.

FinnP
01-10-2016, 09:42 PM
My Ohana CK 28, love everything about it

Pleasure Paul
01-10-2016, 11:22 PM
If I were to make a good impression I would play my early Ditson/Martin style 1, which is wonderfully light, has good warm sound, and has reasonable intonation (I even learned to manage the wooden pin tuners, and now I rather have these than the metal 1/1 friction stuff), or my new Timms, which has nice warm & full sound and decent intonation, but is almost embarrassingly loud, with a few pistol notes, and is not perfectly setup. Also the Kala travel soprano, this does everything reasonbly well, but got worse after adding an undersaddle. But inside the house I'll make a fool of myself. I'll play anything, a 70's Kamaka, not so wel intonated, Washburns with horrid V-necks, but rather not this yellow Mahalo with the fruit decals.

DownUpDave
01-11-2016, 12:49 AM
My LfdM by a long shot. Perfect for me in every way. Some days I feel like selling everything else I own and just play that one uke..........then I give my head a shake :rofl:

Croaky Keith
01-11-2016, 12:54 AM
Favourite is my latest aquisition, Kala KA-SLNG, concert scale on soprano body.

hammer40
01-11-2016, 01:12 AM
My favorite is my Compass Rose. I love everything about it from how it feels in my hands to how it looks, and of course how it sounds. That does not mean I don't love my other ukes, but if I had to only have one, it would be the Compass rose.

No great story about how I got it. I was actively looking to get one based on reviews and sound clips. I actually saw one for sale, a redwood/rosewood that I wanted, but it was sold before I finally decided to break open the piggy bank and go for it. I then saw a gorgeous claro walnut tenor come up for sale not long after that, so I wasted no time and bought it.

I would love to get one more someday. I would love a cedar/rosewood but we will see, they are expensive.

macfish
01-11-2016, 11:32 AM
My one and only uke - Scott Wise tenor. Because it's a traditional build, lovely wood, and we visited Margaret River in 2012 even before a uke was on my radar. Just seemed "right" to buy from a maker we had probably driven past in our travels in such a fantastic locale that provided life long memories.
If I ever get another uke, it would probably be a Mya Moe tenor resonator. I'm thinkin' blues and old time music. But that'd be it. I swear. Really. No UAS to see here. Move along.

hollisdwyer
01-11-2016, 01:44 PM
My one and only uke - Scott Wise tenor. Because it's a traditional build, lovely wood, and we visited Margaret River in 2012 even before a uke was on my radar. Just seemed "right" to buy from a maker we had probably driven past in our travels in such a fantastic locale that provided life long memories.
If I ever get another uke, it would probably be a Mya Moe tenor resonator. I'm thinkin' blues and old time music. But that'd be it. I swear. Really. No UAS to see here. Move along.

Yeah, pull the other one!

plunker
01-11-2016, 02:26 PM
I have a Pono MDTX. I love the warmer sound, and the heft.

brimmer
01-11-2016, 07:13 PM
It would have to be my Strad, but my Glyph is growing on me.

PTOEguy
01-12-2016, 12:06 PM
My Blackbird Clara blows away anything else I've ever owned or even played. It has such a huge warm sound.

UkingViking
01-12-2016, 07:39 PM
This thread is so easy to answer when you only ever had two ukes :-)

I will pick my Makala MK concert over my Luna Pineapple soprano anyday.
Both for sound, space for fingers, ease to hold on to and how well it stays in tune.

I know they are both entry level, but that way I wont have to worry as much if I bring them to hiking trips, bonfires etc. Perhaps I should get a tenor as well, but there is a limited variety available in danish music shops and thr Luna kind of put me off buying online without trying it.

Ukulelerick9255
01-12-2016, 07:44 PM
My tenor custom African blackwood/sinker redwood followed by Kanilea PAT tenor. Both will move down a slot when I get my new favorite uke in April, a Selmer style uke with scoop instead of cutaway being made for me by Beau Hannam from Ziricote and figured redwood, curly koa binding, rbr mop purfling with a custom inlay headstock of my African Grey parrot being done by Jimmi Wingert.

robinboyd
01-12-2016, 08:38 PM
This thread is so easy to answer when you only ever had two ukes :-)

I will pick my Makala MK concert over my Luna Pineapple soprano anyday.
Both for sound, space for fingers, ease to hold on to and how well it stays in tune.

I know they are both entry level, but that way I wont have to worry as much if I bring them to hiking trips, bonfires etc. Perhaps I should get a tenor as well, but there is a limited variety available in danish music shops and thr Luna kind of put me off buying online without trying it.

As a fellow owner of a Luna Pineapple soprana, I can relate. Soon after getting that one, I picked up a Koa Pili Koko tenor, and it sounds much better and I have a much easier time with the fret board FWIW.

wickedwahine11
01-13-2016, 03:55 AM
I have only two ukes, but can't pick between them, both sound good, look good, and play well. One has very deep sentimental value to me, the other sounds a bit more resonant and full. It is a hard call, and even though it is a cop-out, I couldn't pick between them.

drbekken
01-13-2016, 04:50 AM
I have a Martin OXK soprano that I really love.
However, I always return to this Rogue baritone; the cheapest of the cheap, which is so down home and funky, and suits my jazz/blues leanings. I love it. I even installed a passive pickup, so I can plug in if I want. Joe Pass would be envious. Well, maybe not, but the uke is way cool.

https://vimeo.com/122113493

(By the way, this video is also on youtube)

pluck
01-13-2016, 06:07 AM
Easy, my favorite is my Timms Style 0. Wish I could play it better.

bman40
01-13-2016, 05:56 PM
I like Hodge's thread on which uke you've had the longest. But I've only had my favorite uke since sept. So I thought I'd ask:

What's your favorite uke and why? What is its story if any? And then, how long have you had it?

Mine is a Mainland red cedar concert. No story really, except that I tried the tenor briefly and thought gee, I'd love a concert! Had to wait another 15 months and then make several payments before I received the uke. And it was well worth it!

I love western red cedar for no other reason than I just do... :o Concert scale is comfortable no matter what I play. There are lots of things, but this uke just has a sound and playability I really like. It fits what I write and even adds to it.

Now it's your turn!

I bought my wife the Mainland red cedar / rosewood concert for an anniversary present last fall. I think it may be the sweetest sounding concert uke I have heard. I put Martin clear fluorocarbon strings on it and it SHINES... a great, great instrument. I have the Mainland red cedar and it is also really nice. Recently put a low-G on it, and its taken it to a different place: my wife says that the uke was made for the low g, and i would agree. I have owned Kala, Mainalnd and Martin - I think all three have their own qualities, and depending on the music / sound I want - each has its merits.

that being said - the Mainland Red Cedar Concert is probably the nicest concert I have heard.

bearbike137
01-14-2016, 08:10 AM
Well, I only have one - so it's obviously my favorite. It is a 2014 TODA VT (Rosewood with Spruce top). It was the first TODA that HMS got in. Andrew gave it a rave review which convinced me to buy it. It was so good that I sold all my other ukes (including the Ko'olau Cuban Mahogany that Corey now owns - which is just a different shade of great). Andrew's review is at this link:

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2014/09/05/toda-incredible-japanese-builder/

It's hard to imagine finding another uke I like as much. Not only is tone amazing, the dimensions of the TODA seem perfect for me. I am just a better player on it.

Django
03-14-2016, 08:59 AM
My favorite visually is my Martin 5K, (recent). It has great tone as well, but I don't play it often due to it's value, and that's a bit of a shame. For being cool, my Laughlin 3K Bow Tie with Kite and 3 piece nut. For tone, generally my Mahogany Laughlin 3. Playability is split between the Martin 3 Cherry and Kiwaya KTS-7. The Martin 3K can often be a favorite because it does everything well. So my favorite depends on the attribute that I consider and when you ask. My Collings UT2K tenor is too new to me, so I don't know where it falls, but it is very fine. if I had to choose to keep just one, I couldn't tell you which it would be. Same with our kids and our dogs. I don't generally look at one as a favorite, I just reach for the one that I want to play at the moment.

Sometimes I was happiest when I had a single guitar. No favorites to worry about and nothing to choose when I wanted to play. The kids are all grown and the house is paid for, so the collection has grown much larger and more extravagant than necessary. Most were bought right, so they should be a fairly safe investment. None of them has any debt attached, so all is good. Maybe if I ever find a true favorite, the collection will become 1.

Joyful Uke
03-14-2016, 09:56 AM
I have my concert Flea in my lap right now, and have been having a great time spending some time with it. I think that my favorite ukulele is the one that I'm playing. Back to playing my Flea.

Ukulelerick9255
03-14-2016, 10:00 AM
The one I'm getting soon from Beau Hannam, a tenor Selmer style with Ziricote back and sides and a figured redwood top with a custom inlay of my parrot on the headstock by Jimmi Wingert inlay artist extrodnaire.

Croaky Keith
03-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Since my last post I have more ukes, but I still pick up my Kala KA-SLNG first, when trying something new, it is a very nearly perfect fit for me. :)

Nickie
03-14-2016, 11:23 AM
In case I havent' already chimed in on this, my new Cocobolo concert ukulele is my fave. It's just da bomb!

EmmaQ
03-14-2016, 11:50 AM
My sweet Clara!

JJFN
03-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Mostly depends on what I am playing, for jazz, my baritone and tenor. For a more "ukulele" sound my concert. Sorry soprano.

Steedy
03-14-2016, 03:33 PM
It's like asking a parent which is their favorite child, or like asking MGM which was his favorite K brand?

One does not simply choose a favorite ukulele.

A(n) ukulele chooses you! :cool:

whistleman123
03-14-2016, 11:54 PM
I haven't found my favorite uke yet! There are too many brands and models I still haven't tried.

photoshooter
03-15-2016, 12:05 AM
Kala cedar top acacia tenor is the one that fits my hands perfectly and has the most pleasing sound to my ears.

Kyle23
03-15-2016, 12:18 AM
Koa Pili Koko Concert. Have had it for a couple of years. It basically ruined how I felt for my other two ukuleles. It just sounds perfect to me.

sopher
03-15-2016, 12:42 AM
Pono Pro Classic Bari - spruce and rosewood - looks great and a really fingerpicking delight!

Mivo
03-15-2016, 01:02 AM
You'd think this is an easy question, but I just sat here for a bit and really didn't come up with a clear answer. Or well, maybe I did.

The uke I play the most is my Stagg UC-80 with laminate sides and a solid top that was my first "real" ukulele, though it's also the least expensive I have. It's the one uke that doesn't live in a hard case, so it's always there and available -- I reach for it when I need to clear my head at work, I grab it when I wake up and it sits on the side table, I take it with me to the kitchen, I flop down with it on the bed or the couch, it's there for the 5-10 minutes breaks, and I don't worry about dinging it or scratching it.

It's not the ukulele with the best sound or the most accurate intonation, but since it gets the most play time, it's probably fair to call it my favorite. Strange, though, there was a time when I would have happily given it away and felt buying it was a premature impulse purchase without research, but now I'm fond of it and bonded with it. :)

I do cherish my ukuleles of higher quality, too. My new KoAloha Opio concert gets daily play time also and I'm floored by how good and full it sounds, my KoAloha LN pineapple soprano has the sweetest sound (love the thing!) with fantastic playability, and my Barron River tenor is deep and rich in Bb tuning and oozes quality craftsmanship like a maple tree oozes sap (it's my most beautiful uke). I also have a 1920s Washburn that, once its bridge is repaired, will get play time also -- it's feather light, the 90-year old wood giving it a great ring.

UAS is smoldering a little, as it always does (I'd like to add a koa concert or a koa soprano, perhaps both, and some day a resonator), but it's not burning hotly, which is nice as there is nothing diminishing the appreciation of what I have. If I had to pick one uke to keep, I don't know which it would be, but I know that any of the ones I have would make me happy.