What's your favorite uke?

Fleacia

Reaction score
I like Hodge's thread on which uke you've had the longest. But I've only had my favorite uke since sept. So I thought I'd ask:

What's your favorite uke and why? What is its story if any? And then, how long have you had it?

Mine is a Mainland red cedar concert. No story really, except that I tried the tenor briefly and thought gee, I'd love a concert! Had to wait another 15 months and then make several payments before I received the uke. And it was well worth it!

I love western red cedar for no other reason than I just do... :eek: Concert scale is comfortable no matter what I play. There are lots of things, but this uke just has a sound and playability I really like. It fits what I write and even adds to it.

Now it's your turn!

Mine is my Opio soprano. It is perfect..and a joy to play.

I have had it since September 2014. I had spent that summer clearing out my parents house prior to selling it so my mom could afford more time in a nice long term care facility. It was 55 years worth of stuff. It was my reward to myself for a pretty awful five weeks.

Last edited:
My favorite Uke is my concert Tie-Dye Flea.

For my 50th birthday, my wife said we could add to the $150 my mom sent me and I could order whatever Ukulele I wanted up to $400 from her, my son and my mom. Easiest choice I ever made. I called Phyllis at The Magic Fluke Co. and ordered a concert Tie-Dye Flea with a rosewood fingerboard, Lucy's Rainbow tuners, a hard shell case, and a copy of The Daily Ukulele. She even sent me some pictures so I could choose my own top.

Great thread!

Thanks,

Scooter

I feel almost guilty for picking a favorite since really, I like all three of my ukes equally but for different reasons... but I'd have to say my longneck Kamaka soprano, because it's the only one of the three with a 14-fret join and with Gotoh UPTs, both of which I like so much that I doubt I'll ever buy a uke that doesn't have these features. I've even considered retrofitting my other two ukes with the UPTs but somehow can't quite bring myself to alter them.

I feel almost guilty for picking a favorite since really, I like all three of my ukes equally but for different reasons...

LOL, I didn't think to mention I only have this one uke. :eek: I've had many others over the years, but it's down to this one. I also figured out I don't do well with more than one. Still, though I've found something to enjoy about every uke I've played, the one I have now is my favorite.

Tough question. I just can't do it. Each of my ukes is has their own beauty and sound. Can't pick just one. My current favorite varies, depending the music played and my mood.

Tough question. I just can't do it. Each of my ukes is has their own beauty and sound. Can't pick just one. My current favorite varies, depending the music played and my mood.

Same for me.

I'm not sure if I should reply since it will be somewhat meaningless most people. My favorite is a tenor made by John Fitzgerald that I picked up a few months ago. It is his first ukulele, s/n #01, although John has been making guitars for around 15 years. Cedar top, walnut back and sides. Has all the good stuff... beveled arm rest and cut-out, side port. Nice sounding and playing ukulele.

John

Last edited:
My Kamaka LN Concert has put many of my others back on the wall. It sounds and feels so good...

The same solid mahog Kala I posted under the thread "What's the uke you've had the longest?"

Whatever ukulele is in my hands and I'm playing is my favorite. :)

Like having many friends with different personalities and voices i plead to love many for different reasons

Easy. My early 20s Martin-made Wurlitzer 2K with natural gut strings on it. Sweet, warm and wonderful!

My Kanile'a is my favorite by a long ways, I have an assortment of different things, but the Kanile'a sounds and plays so nice it's hard to give the others a lot of playing time.

I can only say that my:
Boat Paddle is my favourite 4 string tenor
My Barron River is my favourite 8 string tenor and
My DaSilva Martin 3K is my favourite soprano.

Because I don't have multiples of similar instruments and that all of my current collection are such fine instruments, I can only answer the question this way.

Whatever ukulele is in my hands and I'm playing is my favorite. :)

Yep, just like you can't eat and enjoy steak everyday...I like more then one brand of uke, and the one I'm playing is my favorite that day.

Tough question... Can't pick just one...

I keep wafting between my Uku two hole and my Kala cedar/acacia koa that Mim recommended.

I love my Kala cedar top concert. Picked it up second-hand off ebay, just after having shortlisted the same model for possible future acquisition. I was able to negotiate a good price too. I really like the tone - it sounds really well-balanced to me - both warm and bright.

My Ohana CK 28, love everything about it

Top Bottom