PDA

View Full Version : Winter NAMM Show 2016 and SoCal UU LIVE mini tour!

Aldrine Guerrero
01-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Aloha everyone!

As usual we are about to head out for the annual Winter NAMM show coverage! All of the upcoming ukuleles and accessories will be on display at the show. It's gonna be a big year for ukulele as Kamaka is celebrating their 100 year anniversary. Also great new models and accessories are upon us. It really is a great time to be a uke player.

I wanna know what you guys wanna see. What do you folks want me to ask? I want to be able to get your burning questions answered. Leave them on this thread and I'll refer to this when I'm doing the interviews.

You can find the NAMM show coverage on our YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDglnz22aXMzpug5HbD1bCA

If you guys want to have a JAM by the grassy knoll, please let me know what night we should do it and what time. Keep in mind that we have a show on Saturday so we can't make it that night. You don't have to be part of the NAMM show to attend. If you're in the area (near Anaheim) then please come and join us!

Also, we are bringing Ukulele Underground LIVE to Southern California. We'll be doing concerts and workshops in San Diego, Los Angeles, and Huntington beach. Check out the video below for more info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwO_kEni5wE

Sunday, January 17th
3 : 30 - 5 : 30p / tickets $35
Hale Ukulele (858) 414-4492
http://haleukulele.com/

Wednesday, January 20th
Call for time and price
U-Space (323) 577-5567
http://uspacela.com/calendar.html

Saturday, January 23rd
7-9pm / tickets $20
Island Bazaar (714) 843-9350
http://ukuleleparadise.com/events/

See you at the show! :D

Dan Uke
01-10-2016, 08:30 PM
This belongs in Shameless Self Promotion unless of course you own the website! Haha. :p

Looking forward to seeing at U-Space like last year! Great show!

Your show on Sat at Island Bazaar is already sold out!

kohanmike
01-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Just put U-Space on my calendar. Waiting for the final details from Jason and Brad. Going to NAMM Sunday.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-10-2016, 09:55 PM
This belongs in Shameless Self Promotion unless of course you own the website! Haha. :p

Looking forward to seeing at U-Space like last year! Great show!

Your show on Sat at Island Bazaar is already sold out!

I hope we stay at USpace. If we move again, the room might be too big like last year. It was still a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to this year. Say hi after/before the show! Island bazaar is a crazy crowd. It's gonna be a fun tour.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-10-2016, 09:56 PM
Just put U-Space on my calendar. Waiting for the final details from Jason and Brad. Going to NAMM Sunday.
Awesome! Hope to see you there. Say hi before/after the show!

Rakelele
01-10-2016, 10:26 PM
Thank you so much for doing these interviews. Looking forward to everything you're going to show us. Here are some of the things that I would like to hear about:

- What's new from Kamaka, Kanile'a (including Islander), KoAloha (including Opio), and Ko'olau (including Pono)?

- Any news from Blackbird, Collings, Larrivée, Pepe Romero and Romero Creations?

- What's up with Rick Turner / Compass Rose?

- Will Martin be celebrating their Centennial of building Ukuleles?

- Also, very interested in crossover instruments like Tenor Guitars (ask Larrivée about their plans), Guitaleles (check out the Ibanez Piccolo), and Ukes with Steel Strings (ask Pono). Perhaps you could ask companies specifically about their plans regarding innovation, as players worldwide are not just looking for traditional style, but new ways of expanding their musical horizons and their instrument collections...?

CasanovaGuy
01-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Damn I wanted to go to the one at Huntington Beach but it's all sold out. Was looking to jam with you and other UU players too lol

bonesoup
01-11-2016, 01:58 AM
Have an awesome tour, Aldrine! I'm happy for you to see that it's selling out already :)

NAMM questions - Anything Kamaka can share about their 100th would be welcome. Maybe ask the other companies what they think about Kamaka and Martin's 100th, memories or stories to share?

If you want to be investigative, maybe try to talk Martin into doing something for their 100th, and ask if they'll continue building in the US since they've discontinued some models lately?

Can't wait to see your coverage. Mahalo and good luck with the tour!

w/o-talent
01-11-2016, 02:48 AM
When is Blackbird going to come out with an Ekoa tenor? Thanks!

Mim
01-11-2016, 03:06 AM
SEE YOU SOON!

Can't wait.

I am thinking Friday for the Grassy Knoll jam... but... really I am there every day so any day is fine with me :)

Ukulele Eddie
01-11-2016, 05:01 AM
I will be there likely Thurs & Friday; however, sans uke. Still, if schedule permits, will stop by the Grassy Noll Gathering.

salukulady
01-11-2016, 05:13 AM
Friday for the grassy knoll jam gets my vote.

salukulady
01-11-2016, 05:21 AM
For those of you that have not come to the grassy knoll jam, I highly recommend attending. Here's an example of what can happen.

http://youtu.be/691ukfcRo0I

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Thank you so much for doing these interviews. Looking forward to everything you're going to show us. Here are some of the things that I would like to hear about:

- What's new from Kamaka, Kanile'a (including Islander), KoAloha (including Opio), and Ko'olau (including Pono)?

- Any news from Blackbird, Collings, Larrivée, Pepe Romero and Romero Creations?

- What's up with Rick Turner / Compass Rose?

- Will Martin be celebrating their Centennial of building Ukuleles?

- Also, very interested in crossover instruments like Tenor Guitars (ask Larrivée about their plans), Guitaleles (check out the Ibanez Piccolo), and Ukes with Steel Strings (ask Pono). Perhaps you could ask companies specifically about their plans regarding innovation, as players worldwide are not just looking for traditional style, but new ways of expanding their musical horizons and their instrument collections...?

Thanks so much! I'll try and get to those as much as I can. We pretty much cover the first three points but the Martin centennial is interesting. I'll make sure to ask! We try to hit up as many uke and uke related companies as we can so we can let you know what they're up to.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Damn I wanted to go to the one at Huntington Beach but it's all sold out. Was looking to jam with you and other UU players too lol

You can still come out to the grassy knoll jam! Seems like Friday night is the night. We'll be right in front of the Anaheim convention center.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2016, 09:22 AM
Have an awesome tour, Aldrine! I'm happy for you to see that it's selling out already :)

NAMM questions - Anything Kamaka can share about their 100th would be welcome. Maybe ask the other companies what they think about Kamaka and Martin's 100th, memories or stories to share?

If you want to be investigative, maybe try to talk Martin into doing something for their 100th, and ask if they'll continue building in the US since they've discontinued some models lately?

Can't wait to see your coverage. Mahalo and good luck with the tour!

We're extremely grateful to all the people who come out and support us. We're very happy to see the shows selling well. We'll definitely cover the 100th anniversary stuff as much as we can. I'll try and get as much as I can out of Martin about their plans.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2016, 09:23 AM
When is Blackbird going to come out with an Ekoa tenor? Thanks!

I'm sure they're working on it if they haven't already. We'll ask them when we get the chance! :D

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2016, 09:24 AM
SEE YOU SOON!

Can't wait.

I am thinking Friday for the Grassy Knoll jam... but... really I am there every day so any day is fine with me :)

Friday night sounds great. Kanile'a isn't doing a party this year out of respect to Kamaka doing things throughout the weekend. Which means, I don't have any obligations except for the Saturday performance.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2016, 09:25 AM
I will be there likely Thurs & Friday; however, sans uke. Still, if schedule permits, will stop by the Grassy Noll Gathering.

Cheeehoooo! Friday night at the grassy knoll seems to be getting the popular vote. I'll keep this thread updated.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Friday for the grassy knoll jam gets my vote.

YESSSSS. Food and shenanigans after the jam as usual.

M3Ukulele
01-11-2016, 11:39 AM
+1 on Blackbird EKOA Tenor........ And perhaps a comparison of BBT vrs EKOA tenor.... Are they looking at same shape or something different - perhaps standard figure 8. I'd like to know difference in durability between say a carbon tenor and a EKOA Tenor. I've seen some comments saying ....... BBT is indestructible, while the Clara EKOA is robust. You folks do a great job of covering NAMM so will be watching ALL your YOU TUBE vdeo's... That is how I get my Ukulele update..... That and this wonderful forum. Keep up the good works.

salukulady
01-11-2016, 12:18 PM
YESSSSS. Food and shenanigans after the jam as usual.

Yay!!!! Is Heather coming this year?

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2016, 12:45 PM
+1 on Blackbird EKOA Tenor........ And perhaps a comparison of BBT vrs EKOA tenor.... Are they looking at same shape or something different - perhaps standard figure 8. I'd like to know difference in durability between say a carbon tenor and a EKOA Tenor. I've seen some comments saying ....... BBT is indestructible, while the Clara EKOA is robust. You folks do a great job of covering NAMM so will be watching ALL your YOU TUBE vdeo's... That is how I get my Ukulele update..... That and this wonderful forum. Keep up the good works.

Very good point. I'll make sure to remember asking for comparison. Thanks!

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Yay!!!! Is Heather coming this year?

Nope, unfortunately not. She has wedding stuff to take care of at home. Hahaha

salukulady
01-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Nope, unfortunately not. She has wedding stuff to take care of at home. Hahaha

Well bummer, I'll have to settle for Aaron.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Well bummer, I'll have to settle for Aaron.

Gather the rest of the troops

salukulady
01-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Gather the rest of the troops

Will do!

Friday night at 7pm?

Booli
01-12-2016, 01:38 AM
Hi Aldrine!

Thanks so much for all the videos you've done at NAMM for us over the years! I really appreciate the effort you guys put forth to include the UU community in these events. :)

My humble request would be if you could please make sure to stop by The Magic Fluke Company, and for your video please ask them about the following:

- The all-black 'LAVA' Fluke and Flea instruments, will this be a standard model now?

- Updates on the TIMBER uke bass, and updates on buying sets of the special custom La Bella strings for it, which are not available anywhere as of yet, and due to this scarcity, is likely holding back sales of the instrument (I want one, but only if I can get replacement strings)

oh, and one more thing (sorry)- when you go to see Ko'olau/Pono, please ask them about any updates for the Pono Baritone NUI and their solid-body electric models....

Thanks so much Aldrine, Ryan and crew! :rock::bowdown::worship:

-Booli

sonsinn
01-12-2016, 06:06 AM
waiting for Kamaka Ukulele Anniversary events

spookelele
01-12-2016, 12:28 PM
I'd like to see the Ibanez piccolo guitar.
Tenor uke scale cutaway with steel strings.... seems like it would be of interest to UU

Joyful Uke
01-12-2016, 12:58 PM
If possible, I'd like to hear what the "small" (business-wise) builders are up to. We have a thread of Mya Moe, but if any of the other smaller builders will be present, I'd like to hear about their plans.

A question for the "bigger" names: any plans to use some different woods?

Thanks for all the previous videos, and the upcoming ones as well.

good_uke_boy
01-12-2016, 01:16 PM

What's that on their workbench?
https://www.facebook.com/blackbirdguitars/photos/a.306433880373.327196.144608340373/10156500532720374/?type=3&theater

w/o-talent
01-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Good catch!

AndrewKuker
01-13-2016, 02:22 AM
The Kamaka concert is Friday night. Jake, Taimane, Kalei, Kris, Brittni and others great players, like Chris Kamaka. That should be cool.

Dan Uke
01-13-2016, 02:30 AM
The Kamaka concert is Friday night. Jake, Taimane, Kalei, Kris, Brittni and others great players, like Chris Kamaka. That should be cool.

are they selling tix? that's the concert to go for sure!

sukie
01-13-2016, 03:04 AM
So like Bryan Tolentino and Benny Chong will be there? I saw them at NAMM last year. Holy Cow! They are masters.

AndrewKuker
01-13-2016, 03:38 AM
are they selling tix?

I don't know. If no one knows about it maybe I wasn't supposed to say anything. Just figured they might want to schedule the get together on another night.

So like Bryan Tolentino and Benny Chong will be there? I saw them at NAMM last year. Holy Cow! They are masters.

I know Bryan will be there and will perform with The Side Order Band. Benny wasn't sure if he could make it this year. You're right though, both incredible musicians. All the Kamaka artists coming this year will also be performing at the booth at some point during the show. You can maybe get a schedule from Kamaka at their booth.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-17-2016, 07:21 AM
Hi Aldrine!

Thanks so much for all the videos you've done at NAMM for us over the years! I really appreciate the effort you guys put forth to include the UU community in these events. :)

My humble request would be if you could please make sure to stop by The Magic Fluke Company, and for your video please ask them about the following:

- The all-black 'LAVA' Fluke and Flea instruments, will this be a standard model now?

- Updates on the TIMBER uke bass, and updates on buying sets of the special custom La Bella strings for it, which are not available anywhere as of yet, and due to this scarcity, is likely holding back sales of the instrument (I want one, but only if I can get replacement strings)

oh, and one more thing (sorry)- when you go to see Ko'olau/Pono, please ask them about any updates for the Pono Baritone NUI and their solid-body electric models....

Thanks so much Aldrine, Ryan and crew! :rock::bowdown::worship:

-Booli

Thanks! I'll make sure to jot these down and ask them when appropriate. Mahalo!

Aldrine Guerrero
01-17-2016, 07:22 AM
waiting for Kamaka Ukulele Anniversary events

Yuuup everyone is excited!

Aldrine Guerrero
01-17-2016, 07:23 AM
I'd like to see the Ibanez piccolo guitar.
Tenor uke scale cutaway with steel strings.... seems like it would be of interest to UU

We haven't had much great interactions at Ibanez. We'll check it out though and see if they'll actually talk to us this time hahah

Aldrine Guerrero
01-17-2016, 07:24 AM
If possible, I'd like to hear what the "small" (business-wise) builders are up to. We have a thread of Mya Moe, but if any of the other smaller builders will be present, I'd like to hear about their plans.

A question for the "bigger" names: any plans to use some different woods?

Thanks for all the previous videos, and the upcoming ones as well.

Most of the smaller makers don't have a booth but we try to cover as much as we can. Mahalo!

Aldrine Guerrero
01-17-2016, 07:26 AM

That's too bad. Friday is the only night that works for us with the yearly UU jam. Unfortunately I treasure my UU family more so I won't be able to make it. Can't wait to hang out with my homies. But the concert should be spectacular!

kohanmike
01-17-2016, 07:48 AM
I'm really sorry I'm going to miss the Friday jam, but I bought tickets on Wednesday for Aldrine at U-Space (in fact all the events this week there). I've gone through the NAMM app on my iPad and marked all the booths I want to see, plus the instrument parade and ukulele circle in the Member Zone.

ksiegel
01-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Aloha everyone!

You can find the NAMM show coverage on our YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDglnz22aXMzpug5HbD1bCA

So, where is/was the NAMM show coverage?? I didn't find it on the YouTube page, and I really was looking forward to it, as I do every year.

-Kurt

Aldrine Guerrero
01-19-2016, 08:36 AM
So, where is/was the NAMM show coverage?? I didn't find it on the YouTube page, and I really was looking forward to it, as I do every year.

-Kurt

NAMM has yet to happen. It's this weekend. We usually post things the the night of or the day after we film it. That link is where you can find it when we upload them.

gyosh
01-19-2016, 09:34 AM
SEE YOU SOON!

Can't wait.

Kamaka concert is also that night with you know who playing for the masses ;)

gyosh
01-19-2016, 09:47 AM
That's too bad. Friday is the only night that works for us with the yearly UU jam. Unfortunately I treasure my UU family more so I won't be able to make it. Can't wait to hang out with my homies. But the concert should be spectacular!

Awwwww.

Now I have to make it to the grassy knoll :)

Bob Bledsoe
01-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Almost missed it again this year. Looking forward to U-Space on Wednesday and Friday's jam... Excited to hang out with people and ukuleles ;-)

See you all soon!

ZappCatt
01-19-2016, 10:52 AM
In answer to an earlier question in the thread, Blackbird has announced their Ekoa Tenor.

They will be at Namm in Booth: 1716 Hopefully we can hear them played without too much other interference.

Booli
01-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Thanks! I'll make sure to jot these down and ask them when appropriate. Mahalo!

Thanks for adding them to your list (re: The Magic Fluke Company['all black' LAVA Fluke/Flea & Timber bass/strings] & Ko'olau/Pono[solid-body electrics])

Peace Train
01-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Hope those who make it to NAMM--both inside and out--post lots of pics and vids for the rest of us here to enjoy. Looking forward to be an armchair attendee! :drool:

ksiegel
01-19-2016, 05:44 PM
Ah.. I misread everything, then ( probably becuase it was all a week or two out) - thought it was the weekend of the 16th-17th!

Thanks for the clarification!

-Kurt

NAMM has yet to happen. It's this weekend. We usually post things the the night of or the day after we film it. That link is where you can find it when we upload them.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-19-2016, 06:23 PM
Awwwww.

Now I have to make it to the grassy knoll :)

You know we love you.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Almost missed it again this year. Looking forward to U-Space on Wednesday and Friday's jam... Excited to hang out with people and ukuleles ;-)

See you all soon!

Awesome! USpace should be fun. Although it's a bit hard to drag people to LA. The other two shows sold out but this one is a bit less. It should still be great though.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-19-2016, 06:25 PM
In answer to an earlier question in the thread, Blackbird has announced their Ekoa Tenor.

They will be at Namm in Booth: 1716 Hopefully we can hear them played without too much other interference.

We'll try and get a good clip of it. It's always tough to get clips at NAMM.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-19-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks for adding them to your list (re: The Magic Fluke Company['all black' LAVA Fluke/Flea & Timber bass/strings] & Ko'olau/Pono[solid-body electrics])

Sure no problem!

Aldrine Guerrero
01-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Hope those who make it to NAMM--both inside and out--post lots of pics and vids for the rest of us here to enjoy. Looking forward to be an armchair attendee! :drool:

We'll try and get as much as we can.

photoshooter
01-20-2016, 12:47 AM
I see Kala has updated their website just in time for NAMM. It has a new look and there are a few new offerings. Looks like the archtop is once again avail in black, there is a new ziricote uke, and the Tri-back tenor has a slotted headstock. Nice!

correction: the Tri-back tenor hasn't changed. I thought it was changed to a slotted headstock but now I see that they mistakenly posted a pic of the Aratani tenor on that page.
Carry on :)

kohanmike
01-23-2016, 06:58 AM
After all my planning, turns out I'm not going to be able to go to NAMM, my brother cannot get me a pass. BIG BUMMER.