PDA

View Full Version : Interesting news from Mya Moe today

macfish
01-12-2016, 06:15 AM
Changing things up and winding down orders over the next couple years. I need to make a decision soon!

SteveUBass
01-12-2016, 06:50 AM
There are only about 200 custom build spots remaining on their build list. After that (in 2018), no custom orders.

Stevelele
01-12-2016, 06:51 AM
Such nice people--I hope they find their next adventure to be just as rewarding and full of joy. So kind of them to put so much energy and effort into helping Aaron launch his business, too. Just quality folk

coolkayaker1
01-12-2016, 07:56 AM
I've thoroughly enjoyed all of my Mya Moe ukes--I believe they will be the modern ukes of today that will turn into the desirable "vintage" ukes of tomorrow.

Great news about no longer having to be on a pre-order wait list; once again, a person can order, place a deposit, and know they're on the build schedule.

Cheers to Gordon & Char in whatever they choose for the future, and to Aaron and Nicole for their new Beansprout endeavor. :)

coolkayaker1
01-12-2016, 07:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5am-snuhnGA

coolkayaker1
01-12-2016, 07:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLc3DljS69c

Sanfe
01-12-2016, 08:33 AM
How do you pronounce "Mya Moe"?

PhilUSAFRet
01-12-2016, 08:36 AM
I'm pretty sure it's Mya moh eh

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-12-2016, 08:59 AM
I've always thought that Gordon had one of the best business approaches in the ukulele business. He is correct about custom ukes requiring a LOT of time and interaction with the customer. He is moving in a direction where I think most builders would like to be. I wish them the very best in the future.

Kayak Jim
01-12-2016, 11:36 AM

Watch the video and you'll find out.

70sSanO
01-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Nice videos. Probably not that common for someone to announce plans this far in advance. Have to really applaud them for doing this. I'm sure that they will do well in the future and it will be interesting to see how far they push their creative juices when they build what they want.

John

UkieOkie
01-12-2016, 02:58 PM
I am in no way trying to say that marketing and creating demand was the goal of the video and early announcement, but I have a feeling that this will cause many more to pull the trigger on one. Obviously Mya-moe has tons of demand and appeal anyway.

Recstar24
01-12-2016, 03:33 PM
I am in no way trying to say that marketing and creating demand was the goal of the video and early announcement, but I have a feeling that this will cause many more to pull the trigger on one. Obviously Mya-moe has tons of demand and appeal anyway.

I don't think so. Gordon makes it very clear in the video that the intention was not to create a sudden rush, he specifically states they have about 200 customs left which normally would take 8-10 months to fill, and advises taking your time and not rushing into a deposit. You gotta respect that.

Mya Moe was the first uke brand I really became interested and excited about. I placed my name on the wait list back in November 2014, and it will finally bear some fruit at the end of February.

hollisdwyer
01-12-2016, 03:56 PM
The news makes me wonder if selling my last MM recently was a good move. It was my favourite of all the MM's I've owned and it made my friend, who bought it, very very happy.

Robin Harrison
01-12-2016, 04:10 PM
.............well my MyaMoe Beansprout tenor is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow....
I have so much admired the thoroughly professional way he runs his business.
Taking the time at the end of the day to take images of MY instrument and post them.......it's very considerate.
I wish them well.......

hollisdwyer
01-12-2016, 05:55 PM
.............well my MyaMoe Beansprout tenor is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow....
I have so much admired the thoroughly professional way he runs his business.
Taking the time at the end of the day to take images of MY instrument and post them.......it's very considerate.
I wish them well.......

Robin, I am sure that anyone who has ever owned one of their instruments will wish them well in their future endeavours. Their unique approach to building instruments and their superlative communication skills has benefited the Ukulele community greatly.

mm stan
01-12-2016, 08:43 PM
All great people and ukes, wish them well in whatever endeavors they may choose ahead. Happy trails gordon, char and Aaron :)

mm stan
01-12-2016, 08:46 PM
My ahhh Moe ehhhhh

coolkayaker1
01-12-2016, 09:22 PM
The mya moe site shows three ukes for sale as I type. You don't have to wait for them to build you one.

True enough, Bill.

Wanna go in for one together? I'll chip in an arm if you'll supply a leg. LOL.

https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/browseAvailable.php

Jim Hanks
01-13-2016, 01:29 AM
Wanna go in for one together? I'll chip in an arm if you'll supply a leg.

Last night there was a more normal looking tenor for like $1695. The vid said they are making about two a week non-custom so I guess you just have to keep checking back. Still a "wee" bit north of what I'm willing to spend on a uke but I appreciate what MM is doing and wish them well. Kind of a shame we have to wait so long to see what else Aaron has up his sleeve.

pluck
01-13-2016, 02:07 AM
The business of building custom ukes for fussy customers who don't really know what they want would drive me insane. I hope that the future of Mya Moe is to build some stock models and occasional specials to their own specifications. To me that seems like a much more sustainable business.

mm stan
01-13-2016, 03:13 AM
I hope mya moe continues, if they don't. . Will their ukes be worth several times more especially the more
Elaborate custom ones.. :)

Stevelele
01-13-2016, 04:08 AM
Yeah, that's the thing--I think that Mya Moe was created to service a market in between off the shelf and custom ukes--an attempt to limit the number of options that you can choose so they can focus on building. But I'm thinking that it turned out that they ended up spending way more time communicating with customers than you'd think with limited options and such. I kind of know this from working with them--they were just so attentive, they made it seem like I was their first and only customer. I think the world of them, not just in the uke world, but they combine the best qualities of old and new... attentive to craft and customer, but also savvy with technology and process innovations. And the best thing is that they are really just lovely people in the truest sense. You get the sense that their instruments are made with the kindest and most generous spirit.

The business of building custom ukes for fussy customers who don't really know what they want would drive me insane. I hope that the future of Mya Moe is to build some stock models and occasional specials to their own specifications. To me that seems like a much more sustainable business.

Nickie
01-13-2016, 04:19 AM
I think this is good news. I've met Aaron. He's a very nice guy, and a very good uke player, a master of clawhammer playing. If I could afford a Mya Moe, I'd have one.
I think the Mya Moe way is the approach that Cocobolo Ukuleles is trying to take, although they don't yet have a musician superstar working there.

70sSanO
01-13-2016, 09:40 AM

I would have to agree. Since I believe that Mya Moe fits into that niche of providing quality semi-custom ukuleles, I think it gets tougher when there are too many options, such as graded wood options. It would seem that when you go from koa, mahogany, cedar, etc. to figured, curly, flamed, master or all the letters AAA, AAAA it could really open the door to all the hand holding as to what "my" ukulele wood is going to look like. I imagine there are also a number of changes that buyers make and the more accommodating the more headaches.

John

Recstar24
01-13-2016, 09:45 AM
I know in my personal experience as a consumer, I feel confident that I was a less annoying customer to Gordon and Char then with my true custom with Jerry Hoffmann. With that said, the amount of email and back and forth even for my semi custom with Gordon and Char is still pretty large, and made even more impressive by how prompt and comprehensive they get back to you. My experience has truly been that I've been treated like I was their only customer at that given moment, when in reality, I am maybe 1 out of 200 potential customers emailing them back and forth. With all of that going on, you have to give them a huge shout out for not only treating their customers with such unique care, but maintaining and producing one of the highest quality, most well built, most consistently made ukes out there at the same time.

Cheers to Mya Moe and best of luck and wishes to Aaron in his future!

jksk8in
01-13-2016, 12:52 PM
Yeah, that's the thing--I think that Mya Moe was created to service a market in between off the shelf and custom ukes--an attempt to limit the number of options that you can choose so they can focus on building. But I'm thinking that it turned out that they ended up spending way more time communicating with customers than you'd think with limited options and such. I kind of know this from working with them--they were just so attentive, they made it seem like I was their first and only customer. I think the world of them, not just in the uke world, but they combine the best qualities of old and new... attentive to craft and customer, but also savvy with technology and process innovations. And the best thing is that they are really just lovely people in the truest sense. You get the sense that their instruments are made with the kindest and most generous spirit.

I couldn't agree more! I wish them the very best in future endeavors; whatever they may be.

stevejfc
01-13-2016, 02:23 PM
I don't disagree Bill.............but from my perspective, MM have filled a nitch (sp?). They are the first step up into the custom, (ok, semi-custom) arena for many uke folks. At that step, you maybe more intrigued by the build, ie: wood, tree and tuners than the tone and playability. Hey, they ain't Moore Bettah, but than again who is other than MBU? But, they have consistantly put out a fine product. And again, it should be noted, that Gordon, Char and Aaron are some of the classiest folks in the business.
A lot of Mya Moe posts seem to come from people new to music who don't have a lot of experience or knowledge about music, yet. All they have to talk about is what the wood looks like and what tree it came from. Building blog posts wax lyrical about gorgeous wood and choosing tuners which match.
Possibly, a way to show real appreciation to the workers at Mya Moe would be for the new owners to gradually move onto posts which are more about playing music on the instruments. Gushing comments on how you managed to do your version of a jazz classic and really like the way the instrument handled the tricky key change at the 18th bar and so on. Identifying the best sounding riffs and chops you can play on your Mya Moe. Making a blog about what is going to be on your initial set list, instead of posting photos of wood grain. 3 page reviews which follow the experience and results of playing a set list when you take the instrument out of the box and have a single sentence at the end about the wood and price.
If you pay for a great instrument you are allowed to celebrate with a challenge to learn a few things about playing, reading and creating music on your new instrument. You don't have to stay in the gorgeous rut of wood admiration and musical ignorance.

macfish
01-13-2016, 04:04 PM
Wow, at first read I thought this was pretty harsh, Bill1. But the more I pondered (vs. responding quickly) you do make a valid point. It's sometimes easy to be swayed by bling and decor at the expense of tone and musicality. And Mya Moe do talk a lot about wood, it's what they do/love. I am no expert or great uke musician, in fact only just started this past year. But I also have learned over the years across several interests that buying at the bottom and upgrading 3-4 times is not a great strategy. Buy once, be happy for a long time or a lifetime. I absolutely respect their info and openness. And am now on the wait list/build schedule as a result. Don't care about bling or extras, which is why I'd never consider higher priced instruments with elaborate inlay or woods that have no impact on tone. No offense to those who can afford a Moore Bettah.

bman40
01-13-2016, 05:50 PM
I am surprised by the announcement - but glad that I made it onto the build list and will receive my tenor in August.

I have enjoyed my interactions (email) with Gord and Char as they have been very helpful and responsive to the few questions I have had, and helped me make a change to my configuration with no hassle or grief. My wife and I have met Aaron at three separate festivals, and I am pleased, honoured and proud that these three artisans will be building me the instrument of my lifetime.

From the posts here on UU, I have gleaned the strong sense from owners that the vast majority are truly pleased with the quality of the instrument they own. I am #2004 on the list, and I look forward to being one of the small-ish family of MM owners.

The only certain in life is change - and I wish all three of these folks (or all six + if you count whole MM crew) the best in their future business /artistic endeavours.

aaronckeim
01-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Hey Folks- Fun thread, thanks for all the kind words. I would love to quickly comment on Bill's astute comments. Yes, a majority of Mya-Moe customers are buying their first handmade instrument of any sort. We have to do a great deal of education on the process and the world of custom instruments and spend a great deal of time managing expectations.

Our website and all of our marketing has always pushed playability first, tone second and beauty third. But, most people prioritize in the opposite order. Yes, I see the irony in the fact that a company that has spent 8 years focusing on playability is really known for aesthetics!!!

As a professional musician and educator for 15 years, I am always pushing folks to get past the superficial and dig deeper to a better understanding of music. I applaud Bill for traveling the same path. Folks who have seen me teach and play often comment that my Mya-Moe instruments are plain, straight grain wood and un-adorned. That is because the music is the first priority to me, the wood is there to sing!

Thanks for all your support, we are lucky to be in the position to make decisions like this. Keep on strumming!
Aaron

mds725
01-13-2016, 08:25 PM

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced the way Gordon pronounces it in his Mya-Moe videos. :)

YorkSteve
01-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Our website and all of our marketing has always pushed playability first, tone second and beauty third. But, most people prioritize in the opposite order. Yes, I see the irony in the fact that a company that has spent 8 years focusing on playability is really known for aesthetics!!!
I will vouch for the playability. This week I tried to play something which was fast & fiddly - not my usual style at all. Having failed to get it right a few times, I took my MyaMoe out of the case and got it right first time. And it looked good too...:)

hollisdwyer
01-14-2016, 12:08 AM
I will vouch for the playability. This week I tried to play something which was fast & fiddly - not my usual style at all. Having failed to get it right a few times, I took my MyaMoe out of the case and got it right first time. And it looked good too...:)

That was the primary attribute that first drew me to purchase a Mya Moe, playability. As I was still relatively new to the Uke I wanted an instrument that was easy to play. That allowed me to focus on my technique with no room for excuses. They are also very good looking in the way that all objects are that have been paired down so that form meets function beautifully.

70sSanO
01-14-2016, 04:04 AM
Bling is nice, but it is about the music, it has always been about the music. No one would be here if it was only about the bling.

John

coolkayaker1
01-14-2016, 05:53 PM
Aaron, you've always been aces on UU. Thanks for chiming in.