Help with shipping

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I am trying to purchase bulk bridge and end pins from Michael Gurian - I don't know how he is calculating it but shipping charge for goods that will go in a small to medium sized box or Jiffy/padded bag are going to cost me $167! Anyone want to receive these for me in the US (outside WA to avoid the local sales tax...) and then ship them out to me privately to the UK?

PM or message me....

Thanks

Pete

PS A standard USPS small box costs $90 to ship. This stuff will fit into a very small box which is going to be a lot less!

Last edited:
Still need help? I'll do it, if so. I'm in Minnesota. Should be safe.

P.s. People can vouch for me!

I am trying to purchase bulk bridge and end pins from Michael Gurian - I don't know how he is calculating it but shipping charge for goods that will go in a small to medium sized box or Jiffy/padded bag are going to cost me $167! Anyone want to receive these for me in the US (outside WA to avoid the local sales tax...) and then ship them out to me privately to the UK?

PM or message me....

Thanks

Pete

PS A standard USPS small
box costs $90 to ship. This stuff will fit into a very small box which is going to be a lot less!

That sounds very expensive. I recently bought six banjo rim connector rods from Gold tone, quite heavy products. Shipped to NZ in a jiffy bag, from memory about US $35.00 shipping.

Thanks folks - they assured me they would get a better price for shipping so hey, watch this space :)

To everyone who pm'd me thank you. I am struggling to distribute personal messages so here is the text :

Thanks for your offer.

The company offered to revise the shipping and refund my card - we'll see how that goes :)

Pete

You guys are great. Am waiting to see some dollars work their way back to me. When I enquired about having some lacquer shipped it was $780 for the lacquer and $850 for shipping... Oh to be in America!

Thanks again everybody - Gurian have refunded tho PayPal are hanging onto it for a bit. I suspect they think we are money laundering!

We need to set up a company to ship stuff from the U.S. to China and then to the rest of the world. For some reason it costs less to get a package from China than across my country (I am guessing the same for others). As far as purchases from America, I wanted a gallon of SuperSoft II, $35 U.S. Would cost me $100 to get it across the border.

That in my mind is one of the tricks, to offer cheap and recover on the sending costs. Hope you come right?

Hello? It is called tariffs and people have gone to war over this stuff before. Look up: Price of tea and the revolutionary war.

I agree with sequoia, added casts are most likely government fees, not extra profit for the vendor. I bought a custom ukulele from Vietnam with a shipping cost of $65. Many people could not believe it cost that much to ship from Vietnam to Los Angeles, but when I had to ship it back for a couple of upgrades, the US Post Office charged me $65.

I'm sure government fees etc add a bundle to costs but I think there are other contributing factors as well.

To we antipodeans, American companies seem to be set up to sell to Americans. Websites contain more information about "exporting" interstate than shipping internationally. Try finding New Zealand on a list of pre-programmed destinations when you're filling in a mailing address. Have a look at the people/companies on ebay who will only ship within the continental US.... etc.

Chinese companies are set up to sell globally. They realise that even though China is huge, most of the world's wealth exists outside China (for the moment). The stuff I get from Aliexpress comes with free shipping even if it only costs a couple of dollars.

There does seem to have been an improvement in American business' global awareness over the past couple of years but there's still a fair way to go.

My tuppence worth. Please feel free to ignore or take umbrage.
Miguel

I'm sure government fees etc add a bundle to costs but I think there are other contributing factors as well.

To we antipodeans, American companies seem to be set up to sell to Americans. Websites contain more information about "exporting" interstate than shipping internationally. Try finding New Zealand on a list of pre-programmed destinations when you're filling in a mailing address. Have a look at the people/companies on ebay who will only ship within the continental US.... etc.

Chinese companies are set up to sell globally. They realise that even though China is huge, most of the world's wealth exists outside China (for the moment). The stuff I get from Aliexpress comes with free shipping even if it only costs a couple of dollars.

There does seem to have been an improvement in American business' global awareness over the past couple of years but there's still a fair way to go.

My tuppence worth. Please feel free to ignore or take umbrage.
Miguel

Which is why NZ Post made a shrewd business decision a few years ago by setting up a warehouse in the US for freight forwarding to NZ therefore negating all merchants who would not ship outside the US. Thanks to this system I now have mailing addresses in US, UK, EU and China.

Which is why NZ Post made a shrewd business decision a few years ago by setting up a warehouse in the US for freight forwarding to NZ therefore negating all merchants who would not ship outside the US. Thanks to this system I now have mailing addresses in US, UK, EU and China.

Yes. I used that system to buy an ukulele from the USA and it does work well. Until the package arrives at Customs Parcels in Auckland when everything goes into slow motion. :(

Top Bottom