Bypassing my laptop's built-in mic?

Captain Google

Ukulele Captain
Reaction score
My VAIO laptop has an awful built-in microphone. Previous attempts to use a different microphone (without changing any settings) proved futile. With a digital audio recorder (which can be used as a microphone) (like the one used by Ken Middleton) on the way, and my plan to try out ustream, I need to figure out how to get past that darn thing.

What should I try?

This might be the worst answer you'll get but you said you haven't changed any settings? Maybe try changing some settings around.

My laptop brings up a settings screen everytime I connect a mic. There should also be some kind of audio preference settings in your control panel that lets you choose your default mic.

In ustream, you can choose which microphone to use.

... With a digital audio recorder (which can be used as a microphone) (like the one used by Ken Middleton) on the way,...

your "on the way" digital audio recorder might be plug and play. maybe wait until it arrives before asking this question. if it isn't, then try messing with the input settings on the "sound and audio devices" control panel.

Thanks (for the response and for putting up with my stupid question).

You know how it is, one can only say so many smart things before something stupid slips out. :D

You know how it is, one can only say so many smart things before something stupid slips out. :D

I always work the other way. I say a bunch of stupid things and eventually something smart will slip out by accident. :p

JJ

What operating system are you on?

I think the sony vaio runs windows vista?

If ya haven't figured it out here it goes.

1.start menue.
2.control panel
3.hardware and sound
4.Manage audio devices under Sound
5.there should be 3 things at the top Playback, Recording, Sounds. Go into Recording.
6.Double click on your recording device.
7. at the very bottem of the popup It will say device usage go to the right and click enable instead of disable.
8. so it should be on (use this device) enable.
9. Click ok.
10. TADAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What operating system are you on?

I think the sony vaio runs windows vista?

If ya haven't figured it out here it goes.

1.start menue.
2.control panel
3.hardware and sound
4.Manage audio devices under Sound
5.there should be 3 things at the top Playback, Recording, Sounds. Go into Recording.
6.Double click on your recording device.
7. at the very bottem of the popup It will say device usage go to the right and click enable instead of disable.
8. so it should be on (use this device) enable.
9. Click ok.
10. TADAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gadzooks! Methinks that be witchcraft. Get the fire going guys.

I always work the other way. I say a bunch of stupid things and eventually something smart will slip out by accident. :p

JJ

me too....well, i'm still waiting on the smart thing, but I know what you're saying.

get a mac

hahaha ok im sorry. i dont know (or remember) what settings exactly to change on a windows OS, but wouldnt it be on the menu of whatever video capture program you are using?

i would wait for your new mic to come in though, because it might not even give you the option to change mic sources if there is nothing plugged in yet.

What kind of external mic you folks use? I tried the headset type mic and it only works good about 1 inch away from the uke... another inch away and its totally inaudible. tnx.

Well, the Zoom H2 (something) audio recorder serves well as an external USB microphone, as I have just discovered. Ken Middleton uses one.

It also has the benefit of being highly portable. You don't even need a computer or camera to record. It's an incredibly versatile tool with great audio quality.

Thanks for the answer..

Arrrg.. and I sold my Zoom H4 last month... :wallbash:

Hmm... well if your looking for something easy the usb condenser mics really do the job. just plug it right in, and open up your recording program.

They start at the lowest for around 70 us dollars, if you actually want a decent sound.

Otherwise, they have external usb soundcards if you are on a laptop. If on a desktop you can get a good one, but you would have to install it into your computer.

I have a usb soundcard, and a usb condenser mic. With the soundcard you can plug a 1/4 mic in with a 1/8 adapter.

I still suggest the usb condenser mic, just because of the ease setting it up and the quality is good.

I don't know where your located, but music stores might have them. Otherwise if you have a bestbuy around they have a usb condenser mic called a samson c01u. It's 90 us dollars, but you wouldn't have to order it from online. I have the samson c01u it's pretty nice.

Top Bottom