Removing old non-mushroom shaped frets

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have an old, likely Regal made, soprano uke that I was kindly given to learn some uke repair skills. It is unbranded and requires a little work. I just realized that with the old frets, there is nothing for a fret puller to catch onto as the sides are straight. Any suggestions on the safest way to remove them? Would I heat them first?

success

Tried heat, didn't help. I tried using a small but stout pocket knife at the joint of the fret and the fretboard and gently pried up. A few tries for each and they came up somewhat easily. Pull out with fingers or pliers.

Last edited:
The problem now is what are you going to re-fret the fretboard with? You will have to fill and re-cut the slots or else replace the whole fretboard if you use standard t-frets.

Google fret pliers. I would leave the old frets in unless some are missing other than the 12th. The 12 at the body neck junction goes when there is play at that joint. Make the joint solid and glue in what new fret you have or make a new one.
Regarding bar frets I've found that I can adjust the height by pulling up and carefully supergluing it in place or using a hard maple block that fits the fret and hammering it in as needed. This methods lets you level the frets without using a file that removes the crown.
sometimes oldstuff works just fine.

Sounds like proper fret pliers may have worked. The nippers in the pliers set I have used for jewelry making would not grip them. The action was very low and the body had been drilled for a "string through" approach. I was concerned about further damage to the soundboard. The frets were installed in the neck, with no fretboard. The old bridge had been severely altered at some time. It's not a valuable one, so I decided to install a fretboard....I already had a fretted one the perfect size as well as a new bridge, which I also had. I'm installing an ebony nut and saddle as well. I plan on using it for a loaner in my senior's uke class. I plan on taking pics of my efforts for other inept, aspiring uke "fixer-uppers."

Possibly a new category at the forum.

I'll join up!

I consider all my amateur lutherie attempts 'instrument hacking'...

I tried heating them, but it didn't seem to help. I now have to fill the slots and am not sure what to do about the little black square dots on the side of the neck that will be visible after I glue on the new fretboard.

Top Bottom