NUD: Arched Jazz Box Uke by Toby Chennell

Rakelele

Reaction score
I have always liked the classic look of jazzy Archtop Guitars, so I've been looking at who makes something like that in an Ukulele. I found Toby Chennell of Jazz Box Ukes in Bornemouth, Great Britain. He is specialized in hand-carving arched instruments, and a very nice fellow to deal with. If you want to know more about him, here is his website, and an insightful documentary about his work.

The instrument he made for me is an all blonde Tenor with black appointments, classic combination of Maple and Spruce, with both top and back lusciously arched, Ebony fretboard, bridge, and tailpiece, Maple binding around the body, fingerboard, and headstock, a cutaway, Violin f-holes and a bound side sound port to enhance what the player hears. It's protected by a super sturdy case which, from what I understand, is built by Toby himself as well.

The uke has arrived today, and it's very special indeed. Thanks Toby, for making this instrument for me, and for letting me show the pictures you took:

Chennell_06.jpg
Chennell_08.JPG
Chennell_09.jpg
Chennell_10.jpg
Chennell_16.jpg

Lovely! That is a great look, reminds me of an L-5, which has always been my favorite guitar. My first guitar teacher had an L-5, and so does my favorite guitar player Tuck Andress.
I am sure it will bring you many years of enjoyment!

Oh Rainer, oh Rainer, oh Rainer. That is drop dead gorgeous...........think I need a cold shower :eek:

The flamed maple neck and binding look great against the spruce and maple body. I am really impressed with his use of purfing, espiecally on the head stock in picture number 2. Comgratulations on such an outstandly beautiful instrument.

:drool: :iwant: :worship: :love: - let's see, did I leave any out? I may use one of those pics for my computer background!

My dream ukulele is one of Toby's archtop tenors. They really appeal to me. Rakelele you have a stunner. Keep us up to date on how you are getting on with it.

That's a beautiful piece of art. I imagine it sounds as great as it looks.

BTW, What does NUD stand for? (Newbie here...)

Congratulations.... Very nice... I have admired these ukuleles from their website. Love to read a full review and perhaps a sound sample once you are all settled in. Also, curious as to the weight these arch tops. Workmanship looks exceptiona. Enjoy!

Please, please, record a soundfile for this!

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Wow. Rainer ... that is a STUNNER!

I look forward to strumming it when quand je vous visiterai a l'avenir!

Very cool uke. The carved back and top are truly gorgeous and show Toby's amazing skill. His ukes, from what I remember are loud and very resonant.
Congratulations.

Toby's cases are the strongest built cases, I've seen. Great idea to have his uke in one of his cases.

A real looker. Eagerly await your review after you've bonded with it a bit.

Thanks for all your nice comments! I'm not equipped to record, but Toby has several videos of customers playing his ukes on his website.

As for sound: It's probably a little softer than some of my other ukes. I would asume that with the nature of an arched instrument, it takes some time to fully open up. What I hear reminds me of a mandolin, which makes sense, as they have an arched body as well. I think this will be great for some up-tempo jazz and jump blues.

Toby thinks that this construction will also handle steel strings, and Patrick Madsen has successfully used them on his Baritone Jazz Box Uke, so I might give it a try after a while. I'll let you know how that works out.

Very cool uke. The carved back and top are truly gorgeous and show Toby's amazing skill. His ukes, from what I remember are loud and very resonant.

Hodge, did you get to play one of Toby's ukes? You had them all...! :cool:

I look forward to strumming it when quand je vous visiterai a l'avenir!

Bien sûr, Simon, viens ici! Although I'm afraid that my French is even worse than my English... :(

Great looking tenor Rainier. How's the intonation? Toby put brads under the bridge to stop it from moving so had to pull those out to adjust it better. I see you have the adjustable bridge also. Good choice.

I did change mine over to steel strings. I first tried with a 10 first string and thought it was a bit floppy so put on 13's. Much better. So far no problem at all. The floating bridge allows it take the steels.

His construction and skill shaping the archtop is really, really good. I think the only criticism would be I wish he make the head stock a bit bigger.Other than that, I'm enjoying it more and more each time I play it.

Here's a photo of my bari and a bass I bought at the same time. The bass is the best I ever played standard or uke. Even without an amp it sounds incredible. Also posted is a new design Toby is doing for a standup bass for a ukulele group setting.

Congrats again Rainier, I trust the archtop will give you years and years of pleasure.

Attachments

• 11329830_958328280858316_5074512805874705195_n.jpg
    11329830_958328280858316_5074512805874705195_n.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 11252721_958328264191651_671030320724533016_n.jpg
    11252721_958328264191651_671030320724533016_n.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 11212607_952599984764479_5467339108017805386_o.jpg
    11212607_952599984764479_5467339108017805386_o.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 11312922_957948527562958_5877901797839328904_o.jpg
    11312922_957948527562958_5877901797839328904_o.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 57
Thanks for chiming in, Patrick. That is some gorgeous maple on your Bass!

Intonation is accurate, from what I can tell so far. Being able to adjust the bridge might come in handy, though, when using different gauges or even steel strings. Thanks for your advise on what strings to use. Do you think those 13's would work for the Tenor scale as well?

As for the headstock: I think it looks very well proportioned on mine. Maybe he has made it a little larger...?

Also, curious as to the weight these arch tops.

The weight of this one is 700 gr (1.5 lb), about average with the ukes I own, similar to my Ko'olau. Pono ETSHC is heavier (850 gr), Kanilea K1-TSF is lighter (560 gr).

BTW, What does NUD stand for? (Newbie here...)

Larry, NUD is short for New Uke Day, an abbreviation borrowed from Guitar Forums, I suppose, where people celebrate their NGD. But unlike Ukulele players, who are blessed to only suffer from UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome), those who accumulate multiple Guitars have GAS. Funny bunch, those Guitar players... :)

Larry, NUD is short for New Uke Day, an abbreviation borrowed from Guitar Forums, I suppose, where people celebrate their NGD. But unlike Ukulele players, who are blessed to only suffer from UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome), those who accumulate multiple Guitars have GAS. Funny bunch, those Guitar players... :)
I appreciate the information. I find that with most online forums (fora?), there's a certain time required to learn all the specific acronymns and terminology. I hope to be celebrating my own NUD soon when my KALA KA-SRT/MA Michael Aratini (MGM) Limited Edition Tenor arrives. (My first "real" ukulele!)

Top Bottom