How do you inlay the head of the neck bolt inside the box?

Doug

Reaction score
I've searched and can't come up with anything. The top is glued to the sides and the bolt hole is drilled, I would like to set the bolt head about an 1/8 inch into the neck block. How do folks do that? Thanks.

i remember a guitar blog where the builder machined a drill bit for this purpose, sort of like a forstner bit but with the cutting edge pointed towards the shank. that was fed through the bolt hole, tightened into the drill, and then the cut was made by pulling the bit into the block. however i cant quite remember the exact builder.

Drill and counter bore the block before gluing into the body.. And use a simple jig to set it in the right place when gluing.

I put honey on the area i want recessed and add some ants- in 3 weeks i have a nice bore.

You can make a reverse counter bore cutter out of a hex head bolt...you saw the head of the bolt into a "T" shape and sharpen the under side of the head with a file...a bit like a reverse spade bit... I'll make one and show a pic.:)

Here we go ..it only took a few minutes to make, Honest!...I used one of those 1/4" furniture bolts but any other type should work

Last edited:
That's good Ken. I thought of grinding the back of a spade bit and sharpening it as you did but like yours much better. Thanks for the picture.
You're right Kekani. There aren't any reasonably priced counter bores. Or at least not what I consider reasonably priced. Thanks to you too Pete.

As usual, Ken, brain the size of the solar system, does it again! I'm definitely going to try this.

Huss & Dalton had a machine shop cut the stem off a Forstner bit, then weld it to the cutter side of the bit. Once in place in the block it cuts with the drill in reverse. Don't know the cost. So far it has cut 10,000 counterbores and it still going strong.

Instead, how about grinding the hex head flat and veneering it with the same wood as the neck block?

Top Bottom