Finger style book for complete beginner

Astein2006

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a beginner finger style book. I just got my first ukulele and I only know how to strum. Thanks all!

Aaron Keim's beginning fingerstyle book is the best I've seen and used for complete beginners wanting to dive into it smoothly. It was the first book I dove in that allowed me to do more stuff than strumming, and Aaron is such a good teacher it really is a great book.

Easy Classic Ukulele Solos by Javier Marco. Highly recommended.

It may help if you define what type of finger style.

There are finger picking techniques where you play a specific pattern(s) of the notes in the chords with some added transitions. And there are finger style instrumentals like Ukulele Eddie pointed you to (which are very cool by the way) where you are playing a melody.

John

Aaron Keim's fingerstyle book is the book I wish had been around when I was a beginner.

Run.......do not walk straight for this book. Aaron is a very talented musican, a member here, builds ukuleles with Mya Moe and has a masters degree in music education. You can't be much more qualified than that. Couple that with the fact he has youtube video lessons that go along with the book and it's a winner.

It will take you from ZERO fingerstyle knowledge to playing it and understanding it. I have the book and think it is great.

Ditto Keim's book. I have been just a strummer for the past 5 yrs. I think this is a great starting point (picking patterns) and after gaining some proficiency here, I feel that I will be more prepared to tackle some chord melody stuff.

If you go to the Mya Moe website, resources tab, you will find Roxy's Waltz, written by Aaron, with tab and lesson videos.
The tab for this is fron his fingerstyle book, so this is the standard of production of his books.

It's a simple song, easy to learn to play, and gives me hope that I might be able to fingerpick in the future!

H

Aaron Keim's book sound perfect for me. Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm am very excited to get started finger picking on my new Kamaka soprano!!

Top Bottom