James Hill New Video

seesar

Reaction score
This got no traction in the Links and Videos thread. Thought I'd try it here.

Sooooo sick!

It seems like it should have some traction because this is so brutally groovy that you're not living if you can't at least bob your head to it. How's that lick at 2:25ish? It's been a long time since I haven't have a clue how to play something and I'm stumped on that one!

I saw it when it was posted. I didn't reply to the thread because I was absolutely blown away and left speechless.

Pretty awesome!

I smell a liveukulele.com tutorial around the corner. 😳

Although I've never seen him in person, James is my fave, hands down!

I have heard Jake described as the Jimi Hendrix of the ukulele. I don't think so! :)

Great googly moooooooooooooogaly!

I see he's taken those Billie Jean licks to a whole nother level. :rock:

I saw the last thread as well. But this video was worth posting at least twice. He is indeed the best.

:wtf:.........I cannot make my baritone sound like that. Simply incredible, I am gobsmacked :confused:

Since this is Uke Talk, can we talk about what he's doing?

First of all the tuning is not standard. I'm pretty sure it is GGBE where the 4th string is an octave lower than the 3rd string. That certainly helps to get the deeper tones and give the distortion something to work with.

Second, what scale instrument is this? Hard to tell if tenor or baritone with no other instruments as reference points but I tend to think baritone because of that low low G string. I wonder what strings he's using? Probably not a normal D string tuned down. I have heard of octave GCEA sets available (Savarez?) so it is certainly possible.

First of all the tuning is not standard. I'm pretty sure it is GGBE where the 4th string is an octave lower than the 3rd string. That certainly helps to get the deeper tones and give the distortion something to work with.

Second, what scale instrument is this? Hard to tell if tenor or baritone with no other instruments as reference points but I tend to think baritone because of that low low G string. I wonder what strings he's using? Probably not a normal D string tuned down. I have heard of octave GCEA sets available (Savarez?) so it is certainly possible.

If you visit youtube, he lists the equipment.

1 Mya-Moe baritone ukulele (Low G - G - B - E)
1 guitar amp (Fender Blues Junior or equivalent)
1 bass amp (15 inch)
1 Diamond J-Drive pedal (made in Halifax, NS!)
4 busted strings
2 broken fingernails

1 bass amp (15 inch)
4 busted strings
2 broken fingernails

Awesome! Now I'll be able to play it just like James!

Badass!!!!!

1 bass amp (15 inch)
4 busted strings
2 broken fingernails

For those of us electronics-challenged, why two amps?

For those of us electronics-challenged, why two amps?

Bass amps handle low frequencies better, but not the highs - that's for a guitar amp. If you split your signal and run it to each you can get the best of both worlds. Also allows him to get run different effects on each side. The distortion is probably on the guitar amp, but not the bass amp.

Me too - NOT! �� looking forward to your vid Brad. :shaka:

I was kidding. James is way beyond my scope.

Top Bottom