50s Vintage Martin Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhenDogsSing

Reaction score
PRICE REDUCTION

I am selling my old Martin tenor because I purchased a Larrivee tenor and can use the money to defray that cost.

If you are a collector, don't read any further, this instrument is not a collector piece. It is a player's instrument showing random play wear and finish crazing in the top in the stress areas. It has minor nicks and scratches.

There are no wood structural cracks on the instrument for which I am aware. There is a finish crack on the top near the middle of the lower bottom bass bout. I shined a light into the instrument and can not see any light if that helps. This area has not changed any in the 6 years or so I have owned this instrument.

The side photo shows a slight separation of the binding from the body. I had not noticed this until I just posted these photos.

The original tuners have been changed out with open gear tuners. The original tuners are in the case. In changing out the tuners, the upper hole for the E string tuner screw was inadvertently drilled through the top of the headstock. This can be seen in the pictures of the headstock front.

This instrument has low action and plays easy with a very pleasing tone. It is currently strung with Seaquar clear fluorocarbon fishing line with a wound low G which I have found give it a brighter sound.

I have attached the strings though the body with larger beads. The tuners (not original) are in the case.

The case is the original fiberboard case and is in excellent condition, not mint but nearly. The green felt lining is intact and like new. I put the case up in the closet and didn't use it while I have owned this instrument.

I have attached a sound sample video. Pardon my dogs, they won't let me play for long before they have to join right in.

I am asking shipped in the CONUS which includes the case and a Herco humidifier.

I prefer and accept PayPal.

Thanks for looking...!!!

IMG_0493.jpgIMG_0495.jpgIMG_0494.jpgIMG_0499.jpgIMG_0497.jpg

Last edited:
you do make the dogs sing don't you! ;-D

I used to have a Chihuahua that would howl during the Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" (the Whoowhoo part)...took me a while to figure out what made him do it. That was back in the 90's when the song was on the radio a lot. ;-D

What wood combination did you pick for your Larrivee tenor? Have you done a review?

My Larrivee tenor is all mahogany. I have not done a review. Hodge (Doc J) is selling his Larrivee cedar/mahogany tenor and his sale thread pretty well describes these new Larrivees. I took the titanium strings off that came with it and put Seaquar fishing line on it. Sounds and plays great which allows me to sell this Martin without feeling too bad.

Here is a link to Hodge's sale thread:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ee-UT-40-MC-Cedar-Mahogany-Tenor-Ukulele-case

Last edited:
Price reduced to which will include shipping, original case, and Herco humidifier.

Last edited:
Wish I had $600. Sounds great! This is such a deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom