Low GCEA on baritone using classical guitar strings

billten

Reaction score
I have looked through a lot of threads and many that talk about using classical guitar strings on a tenor uke for low G but can anyone tell me what the classical guitar string gauges recommended for a low G on a baritone would be?

Thanks...

My baritone is tuned GDAE, the G string is a wound guitar E string, 0.043" in diameter, the A string is a plain 0.035" black GHS, the original B string from the GDBE set that was fitted when I bought it ... with any luck you'll be able to extrapolate from those figures to get what you want ... these figures pertain to a 20" scale length, if your instrument is significantly different you may have to adjust accordingly.

Afterthought:
Do note, my instrument plays an octave below "normal" low G tuning, if you want the same octave that a soprano tunes to you may struggle on such a long neck.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
:agree: With Southcoast strings, each string will have the proper tension at that scale length.

Mmmmm I know i can do it right and get the Southcoast or the Aquila GCEA set and i will order some next time i place an order with Strings-By-Mail. It's just that i have a few sets of good classical guitar strings and would love to use them since i don't play the guitar much anymore. This is more of a noodling project and i was looking for advice on how not to wreck the uke i am messing around with by strapping on something with really high tension.

Mmmmm I know i can do it right and get the Southcoast or the Aquila GCEA set and i will order some next time i place an order with Strings-By-Mail. It's just that i have a few sets of good classical guitar strings and would love to use them since i don't play the guitar much anymore. This is more of a noodling project and i was looking for advice on how not to wreck the uke i am messing around with by strapping on something with really high tension.

Hey Bill, send a PM to John Moody, use to be "Onebadmonkey" . He is the GHS rep and he has helped me twice with sting diameters and tensions for non-standard stuff. He contributed to a thread on Uke Talk which is still on page one titled " Passive pick up???? something something. It was started by UkerDanno.

Here is a video with several tuning options, including low g (GCEA) that Aaron of Mya Moe posted for the baritone. In the description he lists the diameters for each, using carbon strings though, not nylon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WXvMXx0tWiE

Hey Bill, send a PM to John Moody, use to be "Onebadmonkey" . He is the GHS rep and he has helped me twice with sting diameters and tensions for non-standard stuff. He contributed to a thread on Uke Talk which is still on page one titled " Passive pick up???? something something. It was started by UkerDanno.

Thanks Dave, i'll do that...

I have looked through a lot of threads and many that talk about using classical guitar strings on a tenor uke for low G but can anyone tell me what the classical guitar string gauges recommended for a low G on a baritone would be?

Thanks...

I did extensive testing of various sets of classical strings that I had on hand when I was exploring fifths tuning.

Some of my findings may be helpful to you. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...7-Tuning-ukes-in-fifths&p=1779628#post1779628

D'Addario has an excellent web page 'String Tension Calculator' which helped me a lot to make sure that I'm not going to pull the bridge off with too much tension. Mind you, this is NOT the old PDF file that they offered where you have to do the math yourself. You just input the values you want and it gives you the string gauges for each tension and you can adjust ALL the variables to your liking.

You can find it here: http://stringtensionpro.com

If you look at MOST uke string sets, across manufacturers, they offer the tenor and baritone sets with tensions anywhere from about 10 to 15 lbs per string or 40 to 60 lbs per set. This is regardless of string material, be it nylon, nylgut, fluorocarbon, wound, or otherwise.

As such, from the String Tension Pro calculator, if you select CUSTOM string set, 4 strings, put in your scale length, desired tuning, and start with some known gauges/tension, and then submit it, you can go back and modify everything after it gives you the initial result.

You can then compare those results to the string gauges in the sets you have on hand, and since most classical sets I've seen list the string tensions on the package, you can make an educated guess as to which strings to use from your existing stock.

Sometimes the wizard returns an error if your selection is 'out of range' and for that you simple 'go back' in your browser a page or two and try different options, rather than start over from scratch.

For fifths tuning, that's what I did, and it involved about a half-dozen string changes to get the feel and the tone I was looking for, since not all the strings I have are D'Addario nor a perfect match to the gauges that the D'Addario wizard gives you, but this is much quicker than just guessing and doing a few dozen, very frustrating string changes without an idea of your target string gauge and string tension.

Please report back and let me know if this info helps you out.

Thanks...

Just to confirm, are you asking about tuning a baritone to linear C tuning? This thread has my answer from when I strung up my baritone with that, but used a 50/50 setup with nylon and silvered copper.

For ease, here's my answer again, but have also thrown in another option, since you probably do not have a classical guitar set with a wound 3rd handy.

OPT 1 - 50/50 nylon and silvered copper
1st A - .029 clear nylon
2nd E - .033 clear nylon
3rd C - .023 wound silvered copper
4th G - .030 wound silvered copper

OPT 2 - Nylon w/wound low G
1st A - .029 clear nylon
2nd E - .033 clear nylon
3rd C - .040 clear nylon

Awesome Jon thanks for the information. Correct i was talking about linear C tuning but i often drop to F Bb D G for kicks. Would the same set work for that tuning also?

Just to confirm, are you asking about tuning a baritone to linear C tuning? This thread has my answer from when I strung up my baritone with that, but used a 50/50 setup with nylon and silvered copper.

For ease, here's my answer again, but have also thrown in another option, since you probably do not have a classical guitar set with a wound 3rd handy.

1st A - .029 clear nylon
2nd E - .033 clear nylon

1st A - .029 clear nylon
2nd E - .033 clear nylon
3rd C - .040 clear nylon

Awesome Jon thanks for the information. Correct i was talking about linear C tuning but i often drop to F Bb D G for kicks. Would the same set work for that tuning also?

I think you'll be fine. It'll definitely be looser feeling, but still doable.

1st A - .029 clear nylon
2nd E - .033 clear nylon

1st A - .029 clear nylon
2nd E - .033 clear nylon
3rd C - .040 clear nylon

Jon,

Thanks for always sharing such great string info.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind...

from this page:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/classical-guitar-strings-1/ghs-56/

which series is the above string diameters based on?

or do you have a list of GHS product numbers in your reference above?

which GHS series has the wound 3rd (besides the Vanguard Classic nickel-wound)?

I want to try a set based upon your numbers above in Option 1 for linear C6.

Also curious as to your recommendation for strings in linear fifths GDAE (orchestral cello/Irish tenor banjo) tuning on both 20" and 25" scales, but maybe I should create another thread for that since I wish not to hijack this one...

which series is the above string diameters based on?

The La Classique series, although I guessed at the .040 for the OPT 2; that should be a .041.

or do you have a list of GHS product numbers in your reference above?

Part numbers are listed below (with aforementioned edit to .041):

1st A - 9401 - .029 clear nylon
2nd E - 9402 - .033 clear nylon
3rd C - 9423 - .023 wound silvered copper
4th G - 9424 - .030 wound silvered copper

1st A - 9401 -.029 clear nylon
2nd E - 9402 - .033 clear nylon
3rd C - 9403 - .041 clear nylon
4th G - 9424 - .030 wound silvered copper

which GHS series has the wound 3rd (besides the Vanguard Classic nickel-wound)?

La Classique set 2350, as well as the Doyle Dykes signature classical set (set DD2300).

I don't think this requires a great deal of engineering and calculations. A classical guitar has a 25-26 inch scale, a baritone uke is 19-20 inch.
GCEA is 5 frets up from DGBE...if you capo a classical guitar at the 5th fret, you would end up with a scale length very close to that of a baritone uke.
So just take the 4 skinniest strings and slap them on your uke, the tension for that tuning and scale length should be very similar to what it is on a guitar.
right?

Jon- thanks for the info. I'll be ordering some of these in my next purchase. :)

OK Peewee this sounds waay too simple and logical. I'm very curious to hear what Jon has to say :)

I don't think this requires a great deal of engineering and calculations. A classical guitar has a 25-26 inch scale, a baritone uke is 19-20 inch.
GCEA is 5 frets up from DGBE...if you capo a classical guitar at the 5th fret, you would end up with a scale length very close to that of a baritone uke.
So just take the 4 skinniest strings and slap them on your uke, the tension for that tuning and scale length should be very similar to what it is on a guitar.
right?

OK Peewee this sounds waay too simple and logical. I'm very curious to hear what Jon has to say :)

Peewee is right on the money. It's a quick and simple way to determine what gauge of string will work on a shorter scale at a higher pitch. But really, it only gives you part of the equation.

It doesn't tell you if that higher tension is enough to cause undue damage to your ukulele. Most often, it is not. However, for many folk that have spent a lot of money on a custom ukulele, you can understand why they may want the full indepth analysis of what the tension will be at what gauge, and what effect that will have on their ukulele.

Too bad baritones come in different scale lengths. Mine is 19 inch, it doesn't care for South coasts and Living Waters.

I had a 19" bruko that was great with tenor LW strings tuned to linear EAC#F#. My new Ono is going to attempt the LW DGBE set but we're not sure if it'll "work". What strings does yours "care for"?

Top Bottom