Hand Split Sitka Spruce Billets

Growth "rings" per inch?

Chuck, I know you don't do too much Spruce tops, but you're there with Recstar - rings per in.

In theory, the tighter grain is more desired. I went the opposite early on with looser grain, intentionally, and that produced some nice sweet instruments. I've learned to appreciate the tighter grain, and that's what I try to bring in.

Resoman, if I wanted to taunt, I'd rip a slice and show a not too good pic, with just a nice amout of bearclaw to be interesting, but not distracting (I have a bunch of that already). This one is ringing nice and "low". Can't wait. . .
image.jpg
image.jpg

You can really see the silk in the 2nd pic, very tightly grained. That thing I would imagine should really pop once finish is put on.

Chuck, I know you don't do too much Spruce tops, but you're there with Recstar - rings per in.

In theory, the tighter grain is more desired. I went the opposite early on with looser grain, intentionally, and that produced some nice sweet instruments. I've learned to appreciate the tighter grain, and that's what I try to bring in.

Resoman, if I wanted to taunt, I'd rip a slice and show a not too good pic, with just a nice amout of bearclaw to be interesting, but not distracting (I have a bunch of that already). This one is ringing nice and "low". Can't wait. . .
View attachment 87465
View attachment 87466

You know I'm just kiddin, right?? Hope so. I don't want to sound devisive.
Lovely stuff and I am mostly building with spruce.

Top Bottom