Anyone ever used Aquila Reds for more than a week without one breaking?

Pukin' Ukin'

Reaction score
I like the sound and feel of these strings. I have had a couple packs but always with breakage problems. Seems like they get good reviews but maybe only initially? And then they always break? Any long term success?
Thanks!

I had a tenor set of Aquila Reds (with a silver wound low g) that I played for 6 months and didn't break.
But that was 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, I have had breakage problems as well. They were the most current version of the string sets as well. It seems some folks have no issues though. Too bad, a really nice string other than that.

Unfortunately, I have had breakage problems as well. They were the most current version of the string sets as well. It seems some folks have no issues though. Too bad, a really nice string other than that.

I've used both the older and the last versions of them. Had them installed on a tenor Fluke and tenor Flea ukes, both if which have a zero fret and very wide nut slots, and still, after about a month or so of daily play, one or more strings from each set broke when the ukes were idle, hanging on the wall.

Some strings broke at the nut area, and others near the bridge area. I followed the instructions in Mimmo's videos exactly EVERY TIME to no avail.

It's a real shame since I LOVE these strings. After trying my first set, I bought 10 sets in my next order, but now have low confidence in being able to use them reliably.

I wish they could work out the breakage problem, but these strings seem to be intolerant of any friction at the nut or bridge.

I now still have a whole bunch of sets in my string case, unused and it makes me sad when I look at them.

I have had a set on my Silvertone since fall 2014. Still sound and play great.

Yeah it sounds like here the results are as mixed as I read anywhere. I love their sound but even tuning them up very slowly and having them never stretch across the nut they still end up breaking. I'm too tempted to try them again.

Have used more than a dozen sets across many instruments ranging from soprano to tenor. No problemo. Agree, though, that some people can't seems to look at the package without snapping a string. Never been a problem for me.

Have used more than a dozen sets across many instruments ranging from soprano to tenor. No problemo. Agree, though, that some people can't seems to look at the package without snapping a string. Never been a problem for me.

maybe Booli will make you a deal! :shaka:

I've tried them a couple times, one set broke when I was taking them off and cranked the tuner the wrong way on the A string. The other set was way, way too bright on my banjolele and I took them off with no problem, not sure what to try them on next, but then, they might break re-installing them.

maybe Booli will make you a deal! :shaka:

I've tried them a couple times, one set broke when I was taking them off and cranked the tuner the wrong way on the A string. The other set was way, way too bright on my banjolele and I took them off with no problem, not sure what to try them on next, but then, they might break re-installing them.

Never thought about recycling them, seems like I'd be giving the 'gift' of frustration to someone else, and I'd rather avoid that karma.

I should clarify my previous post, never had them break on soprano or concert scale, but on tenor and baritone the combination of friction and the higher tension seems to be fatal for the Aquila REDS that I've used.

With all the tenor sets that failed, since I've saved them all, I might be able to make at least one full set from the left-over strings that did not break, provided that there are complimentary strings still intact.

I really like the looks of 'em, but I've found the Cs and low Gs to be very boomy and the As to snap a lot. I've stopped using them when I can. I now prefer wound low strings and Nylgut for the rest. I've been thinking of trying some other ones, but I don't wanna become a string changing geek. I like the warm, mellow tones.
:eek:ld:

I have a low G red that's maybe 2 years old and still going. Not the most played uke but it does get used. I like the tone with the other strings.

My Pono TE has been strung with a set of reds - must be getting on for a year. The G string was replaced with a low G red at a later date. That uke doesn't get played every day but I've had reds on other instruments, never had a problem.

I've been contemplating selling some surlplus string sets at the local ukulele group, but having read the comments hereabout I'd be reluctant to sell any sets containing reds.

In my experience too the red low G does tend to sound "boomy" on an acoustic ukulele.

I got a tenor DGBE set which has a red G for my tenor fluke. They went on fine and no problems with breakage but I wasn't keen so I replaced them with with Worths. I still have them and a spare set I'd got to try on my Bruko tenor but they wouldn't fit as both the nut and bridge slots are too narrow.

Currently have low-G sets on a soprano and two concerts. Duration ranges from several months to well over a year. Never had a breakage. As long as the nut is sized properly so the strings don't bind or pinch, the Reds just seem to roll along.

Last edited:
Currently have low-G sets on a soprano and two concerts. Duration ranges from several months to well over a year. Never had a breakake. As long as the nut is sized properly so the strings don't bind or pinch, the Reds just seem to roll along.

My experience as well. Have had them on a number of ukuleles without breakage.

Currently have low-G sets on a soprano and two concerts. Duration ranges from several months to well over a year. Never had a breakake. As long as the nut is sized properly so the strings don't bind or pinch, the Reds just seem to roll along.
I'll agree with this.

I've got a set of low-G strings on a soprano pineapple that's been moved from at least one other instrument, so plenty of opportunity for breakage, but no problems. The other set is on my Kala concert, bought because I was so satisfied with the soprano strings and again, no problem :)

My only proviso is that I did spend time ensuring the nut slots were a good fit for the strings before I started to tune them ... fine file, magnifying glass and a little dry lubricant (pencil lead) ;)

I have had a set (the same set!) of Aquila Red strings (re-entrant) on my Kala Cedar Stop tenor since February, 2013. Not one has broken, and they stay in tune nicely.

-Kurt

Reentrant set going on two years on one Kala soprano a KA-SEM, same on a Risa stick soprano that popped 2 separate low G strings. Another set a year old on a Bruce Wei soprano in walnut and I just put a set on another Kala soprano I just picked up a KA-GAS.

The stick only needs the grove in the crossover bar to be widened and polished a bit to work I believe. The low g's on that pop half way between the crossover and tuner on the back of the uke.

I like the reds myself.

Top Bottom