PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used Aquila Reds for more than a week without one breaking?

Pukin' Ukin'
01-17-2016, 05:25 AM
I like the sound and feel of these strings. I have had a couple packs but always with breakage problems. Seems like they get good reviews but maybe only initially? And then they always break? Any long term success?
Thanks!

spookelele
01-17-2016, 05:31 AM
I have a low G red that's like.. a year old.

Doc_J
01-17-2016, 05:46 AM
I had a tenor set of Aquila Reds (with a silver wound low g) that I played for 6 months and didn't break.
But that was 2 years ago.

hammer40
01-17-2016, 06:21 AM
Unfortunately, I have had breakage problems as well. They were the most current version of the string sets as well. It seems some folks have no issues though. Too bad, a really nice string other than that.

Booli
01-17-2016, 06:43 AM
Unfortunately, I have had breakage problems as well. They were the most current version of the string sets as well. It seems some folks have no issues though. Too bad, a really nice string other than that.

I've used both the older and the last versions of them. Had them installed on a tenor Fluke and tenor Flea ukes, both if which have a zero fret and very wide nut slots, and still, after about a month or so of daily play, one or more strings from each set broke when the ukes were idle, hanging on the wall.

Some strings broke at the nut area, and others near the bridge area. I followed the instructions in Mimmo's videos exactly EVERY TIME to no avail.

It's a real shame since I LOVE these strings. After trying my first set, I bought 10 sets in my next order, but now have low confidence in being able to use them reliably.

I wish they could work out the breakage problem, but these strings seem to be intolerant of any friction at the nut or bridge.

I now still have a whole bunch of sets in my string case, unused and it makes me sad when I look at them.

strumsilly
01-17-2016, 07:04 AM
no................................................ ..................................

actadh
01-17-2016, 07:05 AM
I have had a set on my Silvertone since fall 2014. Still sound and play great.

Pukin' Ukin'
01-17-2016, 07:13 AM
Yeah it sounds like here the results are as mixed as I read anywhere. I love their sound but even tuning them up very slowly and having them never stretch across the nut they still end up breaking. I'm too tempted to try them again.

Ukulele Eddie
01-17-2016, 07:31 AM
Have used more than a dozen sets across many instruments ranging from soprano to tenor. No problemo. Agree, though, that some people can't seems to look at the package without snapping a string. Never been a problem for me.

UkerDanno
01-17-2016, 08:41 AM
Have used more than a dozen sets across many instruments ranging from soprano to tenor. No problemo. Agree, though, that some people can't seems to look at the package without snapping a string. Never been a problem for me.

maybe Booli will make you a deal! :shaka:

I've tried them a couple times, one set broke when I was taking them off and cranked the tuner the wrong way on the A string. The other set was way, way too bright on my banjolele and I took them off with no problem, not sure what to try them on next, but then, they might break re-installing them.

Booli
01-17-2016, 08:58 AM

maybe Booli will make you a deal! :shaka:

I've tried them a couple times, one set broke when I was taking them off and cranked the tuner the wrong way on the A string. The other set was way, way too bright on my banjolele and I took them off with no problem, not sure what to try them on next, but then, they might break re-installing them.

Never thought about recycling them, seems like I'd be giving the 'gift' of frustration to someone else, and I'd rather avoid that karma.

I should clarify my previous post, never had them break on soprano or concert scale, but on tenor and baritone the combination of friction and the higher tension seems to be fatal for the Aquila REDS that I've used.

With all the tenor sets that failed, since I've saved them all, I might be able to make at least one full set from the left-over strings that did not break, provided that there are complimentary strings still intact.

Down Up Dick
01-17-2016, 09:29 AM
I really like the looks of 'em, but I've found the Cs and low Gs to be very boomy and the As to snap a lot. I've stopped using them when I can. I now prefer wound low strings and Nylgut for the rest. I've been thinking of trying some other ones, but I don't wanna become a string changing geek. I like the warm, mellow tones.
:old:

FarmerBill
01-17-2016, 09:52 AM
I have a low G red that's maybe 2 years old and still going. Not the most played uke but it does get used. I like the tone with the other strings.

pritch
01-17-2016, 10:33 AM
My Pono TE has been strung with a set of reds - must be getting on for a year. The G string was replaced with a low G red at a later date. That uke doesn't get played every day but I've had reds on other instruments, never had a problem.

I've been contemplating selling some surlplus string sets at the local ukulele group, but having read the comments hereabout I'd be reluctant to sell any sets containing reds.

In my experience too the red low G does tend to sound "boomy" on an acoustic ukulele.

Tootler
01-17-2016, 11:01 AM
I got a tenor DGBE set which has a red G for my tenor fluke. They went on fine and no problems with breakage but I wasn't keen so I replaced them with with Worths. I still have them and a spare set I'd got to try on my Bruko tenor but they wouldn't fit as both the nut and bridge slots are too narrow.

SteveZ
01-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Currently have low-G sets on a soprano and two concerts. Duration ranges from several months to well over a year. Never had a breakage. As long as the nut is sized properly so the strings don't bind or pinch, the Reds just seem to roll along.

hmgberg
01-17-2016, 12:43 PM
Currently have low-G sets on a soprano and two concerts. Duration ranges from several months to well over a year. Never had a breakake. As long as the nut is sized properly so the strings don't bind or pinch, the Reds just seem to roll along.

My experience as well. Have had them on a number of ukuleles without breakage.

kypfer
01-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Currently have low-G sets on a soprano and two concerts. Duration ranges from several months to well over a year. Never had a breakake. As long as the nut is sized properly so the strings don't bind or pinch, the Reds just seem to roll along.
I'll agree with this.

I've got a set of low-G strings on a soprano pineapple that's been moved from at least one other instrument, so plenty of opportunity for breakage, but no problems. The other set is on my Kala concert, bought because I was so satisfied with the soprano strings and again, no problem :)

My only proviso is that I did spend time ensuring the nut slots were a good fit for the strings before I started to tune them ... fine file, magnifying glass and a little dry lubricant (pencil lead) ;)

ksiegel
01-17-2016, 02:08 PM
I have had a set (the same set!) of Aquila Red strings (re-entrant) on my Kala Cedar Stop tenor since February, 2013. Not one has broken, and they stay in tune nicely.

-Kurt

Inksplosive AL
01-17-2016, 03:57 PM
Reentrant set going on two years on one Kala soprano a KA-SEM, same on a Risa stick soprano that popped 2 separate low G strings. Another set a year old on a Bruce Wei soprano in walnut and I just put a set on another Kala soprano I just picked up a KA-GAS.

The stick only needs the grove in the crossover bar to be widened and polished a bit to work I believe. The low g's on that pop half way between the crossover and tuner on the back of the uke.

I like the reds myself.

Luke El U
01-17-2016, 05:28 PM
I used to have breakage problems with the Tenor low G unwound only. All other red strings for tenor, concert, and soprano have been fine for me.
I have since switched over to the Red wound low G for tenor and have had no problems. I love Aquila Reds!

bonesoup
01-18-2016, 02:34 AM
I get mine from HMS. No problems with them on my concert. I even took one set off, put fluoros on, and then put the original reds back on. Two months now, so far so good.

SoloRule
01-18-2016, 03:01 AM
I got mine from Canada Amazon . Broke A twice as I was turning it up. G snapped itself in the case one night.
Once they settled, it's very nicely sound especially on warm wood uke and they don't break after that.
I may just try them again on my Acacia if I can find a pack that is made after 2014. With on line order, you don't know see the date. They should take all the old stocks off the dealers since they claimed the newer batch fixed the problem.

SteveZ
01-18-2016, 03:11 AM
Have to love the look of Reds on certain instruments...

pbagley
01-18-2016, 04:04 AM
I've had a low G set on my Kala Cedar toped concert since December and they are doing fine. No breakage, and sound better on this uke (in my opinion) than the previous D'Addario set.
I also have an older set on a Dixie banjo-uke and thys are still doing well.

joekulele
01-18-2016, 04:53 AM
I've had Reds on my KoAloha tenor and concert ukes and my concert Flea for about 4 months. I have had no breakage issues. The only thing I did differently on installation was to lift the strings from the nut slots while bringing slowly up to tension. On the concerts, I used figure 8 knots in the bridge slots.

billten
01-18-2016, 05:46 AM
Broke so many i tossed the rest in the garbage. As many have said YMMV but my thing was that even though i loved the string no other make or model of string ever broke so why do i need that annoyance in my life to overcome...

pritch
01-18-2016, 09:15 AM
With on line order, you don't know see the date.

For that reason I ordered mine from the factory. They were good to deal with, if slightly more expensive.

RockyMtnGator
01-18-2016, 12:03 PM
I have had a couple of Low G Reds break while my Kala ASAC-T sat in the case. On the other hand, the Low G Red on my Mele 6-string has never had an issue. What I discovered was the string was not lined up straight from the nut to the tuning machine on the Kala, while it was properly lined up on the Mele. As mentioned in a previous comment, there should be no friction at the nut. A slight angle to the tuning machine can create friction. Since I discovered this, no issues on the Kala.

Other than this little nugget, I really love the tone and feel of the reds on the Low G.

Nickie
01-18-2016, 03:23 PM
I really liked the look and feel of the Reds. I was soooo very careful putting them on, even lubricated the nut slots. But alas, within a month, the A broke in the case, right in the darn middle.
I don't need aggravation in my hobby, so I gave up on them.
Maybe ukes with Reds on them should steer clear of cases....

Booli
01-18-2016, 05:41 PM
I don't need aggravation [as] my hobby

Love this :biglaugh: but sorry this happened to you to Nickie

ukulelekarcsi
01-18-2016, 09:57 PM
We've had a regular red set (soprano, high G) in daily use for 1 1/2 year without problems, and it was even briefly installed on a different ukulele some weeks before. No breakage at all. Only thing is my son had to learn how to apply a slightly lighter touch with his fretting hand - they're easier to bend than nylguts (old, new or super).

drbekken
01-19-2016, 10:49 AM
I love the red strings. I've had low G tenor strings on a soprano, which was a great idea. On my tenor, the strings ALWAYS break, even if I follow Mimmo's advice every time I try to use them. It's a shame, because the strings sound so very, very good....and they look cool too.

Freeda
01-19-2016, 10:55 AM
I have used two so far and one broke quickly.

pritch
01-22-2016, 09:52 PM
Have to love the look of Reds on certain instruments...

Exactly. My reds are currently on a black Pono TE. If I put my otherwise favoured Fremont Blacklines on that uke the strings might be hard to find.

kaizersoza
01-23-2016, 11:57 PM
I used to use an Aquila red in low g, it lasted a couple of weeks before breaking, I now use Worth low g's